Spyder Garage

Default RTS; I need to pin down an engine/transmission issue before taking it in...

Once again, thanks to all that visit the forum and take the time to assist.
    My dealership service dept. is not known for their Spyder "sense."
    We have found that if we can narrow down an area to focus on, they are more willing to try to resolve issues.
    After traveling about 10 hrs. and over 600 miles, and after shutting the bike off to gas up for the umpth time:
    turned bike on, idle increased significantly...to the point that the bike would not go into gear (semi-auto). Tried rev'ing engine to lower idle. Turned bike off, turned bike on, turned bike off, turned bike on...now idle has lowered. Put bike in gear, horrible sound of transmission not fully engaged. Turn bike off, turn bike on, put in gear (sound still present), idled forward about 3 ft, engine dies. Went through this ritual about 4 more times. Engine light and fault code flashes, so we know the computer has a record. Let the bike sit for 15 min (in the rain) while discussing if we should call tow truck. Start up bike, sounds fine, drive it to the destination about 20 miles down the road. Next day, no issues BUT on the way home, after another 500+ mile run the same exact scenerio (but without my panic and tearful rant). Let the bike sit awhile and we drove it home. We will take it into the dealership but I need to know where they should begin (besides the obvious pull the codes, download engine info).
    Your advice?
    Carol Smead
    2010 RTS Blue, gone but not forgotten
    Former owner of 2008 PE #1032 Yellow

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by csmead View Post
    We have found that if we can narrow down an area to focus on, they are more willing to try to resolve issues.
    After traveling about 10 hrs. and over 600 miles, and after shutting the bike off to gas up for the umpth time:
    turned bike on, idle increased significantly...to the point that the bike would not go into gear (semi-auto). Tried rev'ing engine to lower idle. Turned bike off, turned bike on, turned bike off, turned bike on...now idle has lowered. Put bike in gear, horrible sound of transmission not fully engaged. Turn bike off, turn bike on, put in gear (sound still present), idled forward about 3 ft, engine dies. Went through this ritual about 4 more times. Engine light and fault code flashes, so we know the computer has a record. Let the bike sit for 15 min (in the rain) while discussing if we should call tow truck. Start up bike, sounds fine, drive it to the destination about 20 miles down the road. Next day, no issues BUT on the way home, after another 500+ mile run the same exact scenerio (but without my panic and tearful rant). Let the bike sit awhile and we drove it home. We will take it into the dealership but I need to know where they should begin (besides the obvious pull the codes, download engine info).
    Your advice?

I hate to even mention this because it sounds too simple, Have you checked the oil '
    it seems that the proper oil level is very important with the semi auto.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by csmead View Post
    Your advice?

Have a similar problem with my 2011 RT...took it to the dealer and was told it is a throttle module malfunction and they ordered new parts....was told it's not unheard of and starts occuring under 1000 miles , if it's defective

Spyder Garage

check fusess and relays they get loose and all kinds of things happen it hapend to me so i check them every 500 miles and found loose ones 2 times they vibrate loose.

Spyder Garage

I have had the same issue twice now with the transmission feeling like it is not fully engaged--making a funny noise and bucking & snorting when it tries to pull out in first.

The first time--the check engine light flashed--the second time--no computer warnings.

I got the bike home and parked it--when I started it up this AM--it worked like nothing was or had been wrong.

My dealer could find no fault codes or problems when I took it in the first time.

I am going to ride it today and see if anything else happens.

I don't know if this is an ongoing glitch or not. I asked the same question earlier--and did not get any real answers. I did check fuses and oil level--and they were right on.

I wrote about it in a previous thread a month or two ago.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Smile

I was at the dealership yesterday and a man came in saying the tray was not down shifting on his rts 2010 and thats coming off the thruway stepping on the brake now what we all discovered is the 2010 will down shift at 2500rpm the 2011 down shift at 3500 rpm the buds read everything exactly on both bikes as far as throttle position the weights in the tranny are the same so after a call to brp i guess they are going to try a new tray module i believe is what what was said. but the bike does not stall so i don't know if these could be related or not?

Roger

Spyder Garage

Default downshifting

I just purchased a 2011 RTS/SE5, and it seems to downshift at 2500 rpm. I had the stalling problem 3 times since I purchased it a few days ago. I am contacting the dealer this morning.
    Gordon