Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Ultra-touring windshield?

I ride my Spyder to work twice a week, a 220 miles round trip and coming back at night I get cold even in the summer, even with motorcycle jacket and good layers plus the wind is just killing me. I am 5'10, how much of a difference will the ultra touring make and is it worth the $350? I have an RS. Any one cares to share their experience with BRP ultra touring? I know that there are other better makes but not available where I live. Thanks!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Before I would buy a new windshield, I would pickup a TourMaster Heated Jacket, not the vest but the jacket with sleeves. The best purchase I have ever made up here in cold Canada. Under 200 with a thermostat.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Old Jack View Post
    Before I would buy a new windshield, I would pickup a TourMaster Heated Jacket, not the vest but the jacket with sleeves. The best purchase I have ever made up here in cold Canada. Under 200 with a thermostat.
    I ride all winter, A few times at 6 degrees F. A full heated jacket is the way to go, And at half the cost of the windshield.

Spyder Garage

Madstad Robo brackets are the only way to go. Adjustable for the season, your height, and any other factor you can imagine.
    Old Spyder Mods:
    No Magic Neon Triple Play II, Leo Vince SBK Exhaust, MMG Backrest, BRP Seat Skin, XOPRODOX Grips & Throttle Rocker, Paint By Tallant's Hot Rods, Kewl Metal Air Filter, Juice Box, Evoluzione O2 Mod, DEI Titanium Exhaust Wrap, Ride Wright Mojo Wheels and Pulley, Custom Handlebars, Relocated Ignition Switch, Madstad Robo Brackets, Evoluzione Swaybar, RT Shocks/Springs, Toyo R1R, Odyssey Battery, Lowered Shock Mount, SFB Floorboards, Fenderless w/ Custom License Bracket.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderdude View Post
    I ride my Spyder to work twice a week, a 220 miles round trip and coming back at night I get cold even in the summer, even with motorcycle jacket and good layers plus the wind is just killing me. I am 5'10, how much of a difference will the ultra touring make and is it worth the $350? I have an RS. Any one cares to share their experience with BRP ultra touring? I know that there are other better makes but not available where I live. Thanks!
    I like mine, I leave for work @ 5am. coldest temp. so far was 25 this spring.

Spyder Garage

I am 5'11 and had the 25inch Screen for one day and put the stock one back on. I found the BRP Screen created too much turbulence around the helmet and was unconfortable to say the least. The bumps on the bottom of the screen cause it. Look for a screen that does not have these. My thoughts anyway.
    2015 F3 , Black with Blue Graphics

Spyder Garage

Spyder-dude (not to be confused with you) has a Evo 24" for sale. Might be a good place to start. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=28781 I started with a 23" calsci for 2 years before I was able to pick up a ultra touring for cheap. The side wing things are great for keeping the cold wind off your thighs. If you don't want to spend that kind of $, I'd start with this Evo or someone elses used shield. If you don't like it you can resell it. You won't be the first or last to go through a few windshields.

Good luck.

Very Happy '08 Spyder RS Owner

Spyder Garage

Default windshield

go with the big w/s, but try to find one used. lots of folks on this site try 2or3 diff ones before settling on one. i got mine here, half price. W T B forum.

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I installed the BRP ultra touring. I've ridden it down to +4 F and with the wingy thingies on the sides it does a decent job keeping the wind off of me. There is some turbulence around semis. I'm looking to put the Mastad Robo brackets on it. I'm told that the adjustability will take care of the bobblehead. But, for me living in the field country of Illinois, the ultra keeps the BUGS from hitting me. June bugs and Japanese beetles feel like bb shots without it. And even going through a flock of gnats is aweful without it. Go with used. Be patient, ask and it will show up.
    Last edited by tofriendscreek; 06-16-2011 at 10:04 PM.
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Spyder Garage

I know what you are saying. The batwing I have on the Phantom just beats your body, and the sport tour put the wind right at my head. The Ultra-Touring shield on the RSS does make a big difference in that regard but I just can't bring myself to put a big shield on 14! This ridiculous wind we are having has to stop eventually, so it will be OK.

The new Suzuki just slices through the wind. The fairing does a very nice job of crearing a "bubble" around you. All I have to do when I need to is drop down just a tad and I'm in the bubble. It's pretty cool!
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I use a 23" Ultra touring screen mounted on Madstad Robo Brackets and really like it. Took a few try's to find the sweet spot, and definitely a two person job.

Added a set of Baker Air Wings at Spyderfest and really like them also. Can adjust to direct wind away on cooler days, and toward me on hot ones.

Ron

Spyder Garage

i got the seabaley and like it a lot,its the tallest one ive seen dose a good job.
    Attached Images Attached Images