Once again, thanks to all that visit the forum and take the time to assist.
My dealership service dept. is not known for their Spyder "sense."
We have found that if we can narrow down an area to focus on, they are more willing to try to resolve issues.
After traveling about 10 hrs. and over 600 miles, and after shutting the bike off to gas up for the umpth time:
turned bike on, idle increased significantly...to the point that the bike would not go into gear (semi-auto). Tried rev'ing engine to lower idle. Turned bike off, turned bike on, turned bike off, turned bike on...now idle has lowered. Put bike in gear, horrible sound of transmission not fully engaged. Turn bike off, turn bike on, put in gear (sound still present), idled forward about 3 ft, engine dies. Went through this ritual about 4 more times. Engine light and fault code flashes, so we know the computer has a record. Let the bike sit for 15 min (in the rain) while discussing if we should call tow truck. Start up bike, sounds fine, drive it to the destination about 20 miles down the road. Next day, no issues BUT on the way home, after another 500+ mile run the same exact scenerio (but without my panic and tearful rant). Let the bike sit awhile and we drove it home. We will take it into the dealership but I need to know where they should begin (besides the obvious pull the codes, download engine info).
Your advice?