Spyder Garage

Default Whistling visors-- better helmet suggestions?

Anyone have any suggestions for good full-face helmets that don't whistle (or whistles a lot less than others) with the visor up? My current HJC is otherwise a perfect fit for me, but it whistles like a train with the visor up.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Helmets are not intended to be used with the visor up. Good luck in your quest.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Helmets are not intended to be used with the visor up. Good luck in your quest.
    Thanks, I do know that.

Still, I've had some helmets that whistle, and some that WHISTLE.

Looking for the former, as I've got the latter right now.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

If you are running at a high rate of speed with the visor open they have been caught by the wind and it can get your attention.

There was a young women that was riding a on the back of a Ninja, (she normally rode her own bike in full leather) this was to be just a short ride. The the guy driving puled l the bike up to the higher RPM/Speed range and her visor that was cracked pulled full open and jerked her from the bike.

She posted pic on the net as she recovered had Road Rash every where. Took a year till she was able to ride again

We do have our open in town but once going to speed they are always closed

Spyder Garage

Talking Visor

Once I leave the driveway the visor is closed. Catching a June Bug between the eyes at any speed will make a believer out of you.
    2009 GS SE5 Silver

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Look at the Daytona modular helmets. I have one and with the visor up there is no whilstling sound. They have a Outer Clear Shield With a Inner Retractable Smoke Shield. The sweetest helmet I have ever owned. I have the edge black smoke and love it.
    http://www.daytonahelmets.com/home/d...r_helmets.html

Spyder Garage

Thanks all for the comments. On side streets, sub-30 mph, I alternate between visor up and visor down (I always wear shatterproof sun or clear glasses underneath my visors so my eyes are protected, up or down). I don't expect a visor up to be quiet at 55 mph, but at 20+ mph, I'd prefer to avoid the whistling I have on my current HJC, which torments me even with my earplugs in.

I used to have a nice Bieffe that was quiet as anything with the visor up even at highway speeds, but they no longer make that model and I haven't liked their newer stuff as much. I'm debating investing in a Shoei, or even splurging to get a Schuberth, but in the meantime I was just looking for some suggestions.

(Thanks Seadog for the Daytona recommendation, I've never tried those, I'll take a look at them!)

Spyder Garage

One of the hardest parts of shopping for a good helmet is that nobody ever wants to let you try it out on the open road for some reason. Probably afraid too many people would never come back. Best of luck in your search for a non-whistling helmet.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    One of the hardest parts of shopping for a good helmet is that nobody ever wants to let you try it out on the open road for some reason. Probably afraid too many people would never come back. Best of luck in your search for a non-whistling helmet.
    Ain't that the truth. I recently bought a jacket that fit like a glove with the tags on, but the moment the tags came off, I discovered on the ride how it puffed up all wrong on my frame.

I think I've got a whole slew of stuff soon to be sold here on Spyderlovers...

Spyder Garage

I use the Nolan N103 and have never noticed the whistling. It could be but if it does, I could close it or just turn the tunes up.

Willy
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It sounds as if you need to disrupt the airflow just a wee bit over the visor... Perhaps some tape along the edges??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    One of the hardest parts of shopping for a good helmet is that nobody ever wants to let you try it out on the open road

Would anyone buy a helmet from a dealer that someone else used [maybe even sweated in] over the open road and then pay the as new price.??

Spyder Garage

Not buying the story about the visor pulling a girl off the bike----

---------------

NEXX XR1R helmet I now use is awesomeness!

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

I also put my visor up sometimes or just a little bit when I know for sure I'm going to ride at slow speeds. I don't see anything wrong with doing that. Look at the HD riders, they wear helmets that don't have any visors at all. And they were sunglasses.

Sometimes you just want some fresh air. But when I hop on the freeway, I pull the visor down for sure.

Spyder Garage

Ear Plugs
    Bill
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Gulf Coast Spyder Ryders -- look for us in the Ryder Group/Club shortcut on the homepage.

New Ryders always welcome!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FANG View Post
    Ear Plugs
    which torments me even with my earplugs in.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I wear a simple black helmet, no visor. It has nice ear flaps that keep the majority of the wind out of my ears (but I can still hear road noises).

I can't seem to find a helmet that I can keep on for any length of time. I have a beautiful blue open visor (3/4 coverage?), and I have wore it before, but I am so claustrophobic, when I'm not moving, I hate it. Going down the main road into town (2 lane highway), I enjoy the protection it provides, and the visor is down - but stop and go traffic/slower roads, not so much. Even with the visor up, It's too tight. I mean, it fits me, so I know it's not too tight, but it's too tight.

I wish I could find one that fit 'just a bit loose,' but did it's job. Le sigh.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post

Would anyone buy a helmet from a dealer that someone else used [maybe even sweated in] over the open road and then pay the as new price.??
    I guess you have a point. They could always sterilize them after use though, kind of like bowling shoes. Seriously though, you never know how many people have tried on a helmet before you tried it on.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Shark Evoline. Converts on the fly from full face to three quarters.
    2022 RT Limited , Carbon black