Spyder Garage

Question Fault codes C006C U0122 C0051 - Help!

I purchased my Spyder RT Limited in April and absolutely love it. It is by far the best open ride I have ever owned and I have been riding bikes for over 30 years. The problem I have been having is that the bike will go into Limp Home Mode unexpectantly . I can pull off the side of the road, shut it off, and after a few minutes restart it and all is well again. This has happened to me six times since I've had this bike now. I assure you that I am not riding the brake. I make sure my right foot is positioned at the outside most part of the foot peg at all times unless I actually use the brake. I have taken the bike into my dealership three times and is currently there now and has been for the last 10 days.

Here is what B.U.D.S. reports as faults each time I bring it in but they are not active faults:

C006C ECM
    U0122 DPS
    C0051 VCM

I am very happy with my dealership and the service department. They are genuinely concerned with my problem and are doing everything they can to resolve it. The first time I brought the bike in for Limp Home Mode and Check DPS that happened twice on two consecutive days. The steering angle sensor and magnet were replaced per BRP's suggestion. This worked well for a couple weeks then I got shutdown on a highway when it went into Limp Home Mode and Check DPS on the display. It did it again the following day. I brought the bike into the service department for the second time. They recalibrated the SAS. The third episode happened twice within two days also. The service manager contacted BRP concerning the fault codes and was told to check the cable connections. He felt that the BRP rep was rather rude and not very helpful. I sent Carlo an email concerning the problem yesterday. Hopefully he can provide some much needed assistance.

Has anyone else seen these fault codes? It seems once the fault occurs it immediately goes inactive. I can turn off the ignition, let it sit for a couple minutes, then restart as if nothing was ever wrong.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

And here's a (to me) complicated answer....
    C006c is in the ECM module
    It is a VSS CAN message plausibility error
    Caused by communication intermittent/erratic and/or Check Sum Error.
    External troubleshooting is not possible, check for communication fault.

UO122DPS is in the DPS module.
    It is a loss of communication with the VCM (loss of CAN ID's.)
    Caused by VCM fault active. Damaged circuit wires, damaged VCM or damaged DPS/VCM pins.
    Action..Check for VCM fault.
    Disconnect MPI2 from DLC connector.
    Measure resistance between DLC-1 and DLC-2 (expected value = 50-70 ohms.)
    Measure resistance between DLC-1 and ECMB-C1 (expected value < 2 ohms).
    Measure resistance between DLC-2 and ECMB-C2 (expected value < 2 ohms)

COO51VCM is in the VCM module
    It is a steering wheel position sensor failure.
    It is caused by defective steering angle sensor (SAS), wrong sensor mounting.
    and/or Steering angle sensor is not yet initialised/calibrated.
    and/or Loose magnet on DPS output shaft.
    Action.. Open VCM Monitoring page in BUDS.
    Check SAS mechanical position Reset steering angle offset using BUDS.
    Check magnet position on DPS output shaft

Well, that's what the service manual says.
    C0051 sounds like they may have just fitted the SAS and not calibrated it in BUDS...worth a look.
    The UO problem looks like a plug hasn't been reinserted properly or at all.
    COO6 problem could be being caused by the other 2
    Hope that gets you started on solving the problem.
    Guesses only ..just an opinion
    Good luck
    Pete
    Last edited by Vyperyder; 06-12-2011 at 10:35 AM.
    2011 RTS SE5 Vyper Red, high led brake light, cb/gps/headsets

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    Here's a really simple minded reply.

Has anyone taken the time to make sure the battery connections are tight?
    Yes. Even the extended plus and minus connections have been checked but good thought. I know loose battery connections can cause all kinds of problems.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vyperyder View Post
    And here's a (to me) complicated answer....
    C006c is in the ECM module
    It is a VSS CAN message plausibility error
    Caused by communication intermittent/erratic and/or Check Sum Error.
    External troubleshooting is not possible, check for communication fault.

UO122DPS is in the DPS module.
    It is a loss of communication with the VCM (loss of CAN ID's.)
    Caused by VCM fault active. Damaged circuit wires, damaged VCM or damaged DPS/VCM pins.
    Action..Check for VCM fault.
    Disconnect MPI2 from DLC connector.
    Measure resistance between DLC-1 and DLC-2 (expected value = 50-70 ohms.)
    Measure resistance between DLC-1 and ECMB-C1 (expected value < 2 ohms).
    Measure resistance between DLC-2 and ECMB-C2 (expected value < 2 ohms)

COO51VCM is in the VCM module
    It is a steering wheel position sensor failure.
    It is caused by defective steering angle sensor (SAS), wrong sensor mounting.
    and/or Steering angle sensor is not yet initialised/calibrated.
    and/or Loose magnet on DPS output shaft.
    Action.. Open VCM Monitoring page in BUDS.
    Check SAS mechanical position Reset steering angle offset using BUDS.
    Check magnet position on DPS output shaft

Well, that's what the service manual says.
    C0051 sounds like they may have just fitted the SAS and not calibrated it in BUDS...worth a look.
    The UO problem looks like a plug hasn't been reinserted properly or at all.
    COO6 problem could be being caused by the other 2
    Hope that gets you started on solving the problem.
    Guesses only ..just an opinion
    Good luck
    Pete
    The service tech did all the above. Even went through all the wiring connectors to make sure all were fully inserted. Not sure if they pulled the connector to see if there were bent or broken pins. If that was the case I would think the problem would be constant. The SAS was checked twice and all looked good.
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

I'd have my tech contact the BRP tech center in Wausau directly for assistance, rather than contacting the warranty people, if he hasn't done that already. When he talks to them, he should get the name of the person on the line. If that person is rude...he has a boss. This type of problem can be solved, but sometimes it takes a while. BTW, Kurt and Carlo will be headed to Maggie Valley, so they will be hard to reach for a while.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

What is the latest on your Spyder?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I'd have my tech contact the BRP tech center in Wausau directly for assistance, rather than contacting the warranty people, if he hasn't done that already. When he talks to them, he should get the name of the person on the line. If that person is rude...he has a boss. This type of problem can be solved, but sometimes it takes a while. BTW, Kurt and Carlo will be headed to Maggie Valley, so they will be hard to reach for a while.
    I agree with Scotty 100 %. Have your dealer tech work in collaboration with BRP. Although I have no idea what the codes that you listed mean, I can say that many of the symptoms you listed were similar to mine. Mine was fixed by my dealer tech working with BRP and BRP providing (under warranty) a new wiring harness (the one that runs all the way to the back of the RT-S.)

My issue was fixed.

Chris PE# 0004

Spyder Garage

I picked up my Spyder yesterday and I'm riding again. Was without it for a few weeks and was going into severe withdrawal. Fealing much better now. Went on a 100 mile ride and no problems so far. Good to be back in the saddle again.

Okay... here's the deal. The service department was not able to find the cause of my Limp Home mode problems. BUDS only showed the fault codes as inactive. They did all the checks recommended by the service manual and all looked good. The service tech made attemps to get assitance from BRP and got nothing other than what the manual suggests.

I made several attemps to contact Carlo and Kurt but I guess they were too busy at Maggie Valley to help me. Neither I or my dealer were contacted. I am not at all impressed. Guess you have to be part of the elite group to get any special attention.

Guess I'll just ride it until the next time it leaves me stranded on the side of the road. Maybe I'll get lucky and it won't show up again.

But for now I am happy to be riding again. I still love this bike and can't imagine riding anything else. While I was at my dealer they were uncrating and assembling their last RT in stock. They are selling faster than they can get them in stock.

On another subject I am in the process of chroming out my Spyder. Hopefully I'll have most of it done this week. My only issue is with the windshield support. After getting the chrome version installed I noticed on the top of the right side support the chrome was severely pitted. I called the dealership and they had another one. Went to exchange it but decided to look it over first and found it also had the same pitting problem as the one I have but not quite as bad. They ordered another one and it was there when I picked up my bike from the service department. They didn't install it for me because they wanted me to look it over first. Well after inspection that one also had a large defect in the chrome at the same location. Not sure who does the chrome work for the BRP accessories but they have a major quality control problem. No way these should have ever made it to the showroom floor. So another one is being ordered. They will call me when they get a good one. If the defect was on the bottom or out of sight it wouldn't be that big a deal but it's right on top in full view. All the other chrome accessories look good with no problems.
    2011 RTL , White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up stranded

next time limp mode comes on try revving up the throttle, that can also clear limp mode. this has happen to me, and the dealer was informed by BPR to take this action and it hasn't come back on for three weeks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Callahanjc View Post
    next time limp mode comes on try revving up the throttle, that can also clear limp mode. this has happen to me, and the dealer was informed by BPR to take this action and it hasn't come back on for three weeks.
    When in active Limp Home mode you can only rev the engine to 4500 RPMs. The codes I get are momentary. If I shut off the engine, remove the key and wait a couple minutes before starting to reset the system all will be well again. So far all has been good in Spyder world since I got it back from the service shop.
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Default fault codes

same problem here, got it fixed finally. the throttle body actuator is faulty, may need replacement. BRP is currently working on a software update.
    2018 F3 , Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hi all, im from VietNam, my Spyder got the same issue, C006C, do you have any solution to fix this issue?

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...need-your-help