Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Prescription Sunglasses

Need some recommendations . . I norrmally wear lined tri focals w/ astigmatism. I went to Lenscrafters and could not find anything in a wrap around that was not polarized. (Don't need the rainbow effect).

What are people with old man's eyes using?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Need some recommendations . . I norrmally wear lined tri focals w/ astigmatism. I went to Lenscrafters and could not find anything in a wrap around that was not polarized. (Don't need the rainbow effect).

Don't really see need for wrap around's Unless you ride without helmet

Freebob...

Spyder Garage

I wear regular glasses with 'Transitions' lenses. I have noticed no problems with Rainbow effect.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I recently bought a pair of Bolle Sunglasses (J-Walker) that I specifically got because the temple arms were not the kind that go around your ear, but rather along the head-line so I can wear under my full face helmet. They are polarized, but I don't really get that rainbow affect too often - and when I do, it's not annoying. The only problem I do have is when I'm pumping gas - I have to slide the glasses down and look over them to see the pump readings - same thing when I'm looking at my iPhone. The other thing I really like is I don't get that awful glare, on the inside of the shades, when the sun is just above and behind me (you know that glare, the one where you can see your own eyes).

Spyder Garage

Get yourself a helmet with an internal sun visor. That way you can wear your regular glasses while riding.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post

I just get 2 pair of prescription glasses and have one pair tinted[darken]
    I also have a helmet with an internal sunscreen, but it isn't dark enough with out using Sun glasses also.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

I wear prescription progressives. They are polarized, but not heavily, so the rainbows are few, and not terribly distracting.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I switch between a tinted and clear face shield.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If they are putting your RX in the frame then you don't have to have the lenses polarized. You can just have them tinted to whatever degree of darkness that you want. You may have to shop around to find someone to do that because a lot of the "Big Chain" stores will tell you that's want you want/need. However, depending on the amount of astigmatism you have it may be difficult to put your RX into a wrap frame. As far as a wrap frame goes ~ WileyX's work pretty well. I have a dark grey w/o being polarized & a clear pair both with progressive lenses in them & I do have some astigmatism.

Deb

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cheap, fit over my glasses, comfortable, and able to wear with full helmet.

http://www.safetyproductsmarketplace...ption_glasses/

Spyder Garage

I have the clip on lens but alas mine are polarized. I do get the rainbow effect but it doesn't seem to bother me too much.
    Deb
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

I am using Lenscrafter transitions. No wrap around etc. They dont work well inside helmets or cars though. I have tinted faceplate and drop down sunshades inside my Nolan helmets.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a pair of wrap around Costas that have my prescription lens in them. I do have astigmatism. I also have my regular glasses that are transitions. And a helmet with the sun shield.

On polarized lenses, yes, they will wash out any type of digital screen such as cell phones, Iphones and gas pumps. They will also affect some of the newer road signs.

By the way, some folks I ride with use tinted wrap around safety glasses.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I got tired of riding with prescription glasses, let alone prescription sunglasses.

Went Lasik at the age of 51 and love being able to get whatever pair of regular sunglasses you like.

It was well worth it.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I need to wear contact lens so I wear Oakley non-polarized sunglasses and also use clear visor on helmet