Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default What size of of trailer do we need to haul a rs Cam Am Spyder?

Hi to all,

We are going to TN to pick op a new Can AM roaster. What size trailer to we need to haul it back to Fl? I have a 5ft by 10 ft trailer.

Thanks,

Ken Fisher Winter Garden, Fl.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by corvettencrs View Post
    Hi to all,

We are going to TN to pick op a new Can AM roaster. What size trailer to we need to haul it back to Fl? I have a 5ft by 10 ft trailer.

Thanks,

At least a 6X

Spyder Garage

Nothing smaller than a 6x10 for an RS - bigger for a RT
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by corvettencrs View Post
    Hi to all,

Thanks,

If you have the stats on the RS check width of front and length of course but think the bike should fit on your trailer. Be more FUN if you drove it back tho. If you are getting the
    RT That is a little wider I think. Either way more fun ryding it!!! it's what ya get em for. and

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by freebob View Post
    At least a 6X
    Agreed. the Spyder is 60" across the front. You'd be scraping the sides (assuming your trailer has sides).
    pe 792; Hindle, performance filter, O2 mod, custom seat, NMN risers, F1 Slider, cowl vents, cold air induction, Triple play, Tipz kit, highway pegs, Kury ISO pegs, grips and throttle lock, 3 gal aux Tour Tank on custom rack.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i scraped the front rims up on my rs when i put it on a 5x8 trailer. you need one at least 6x10.

Spyder Garage

Wink

Just some advice... Try and find a trailer with a 15" rim as these are normally 3500# capacity and use automotive tires. They also do not have the 55mph speed limiter issue.

Also, please measure the inside dimensions on the trailer you look at. One companies 6x10 in not what another is. I learned this the hardway. One trailer I bought was advertized as a 6x10. Only to find out that was the external dimensions and the internal was closer to 5'6"x9'6"

We are using what I think is a wonderful single axle trailer (Best I have ever owned) by Snake River. All Aluminum and it tracks so nicely I forget it is there some times... Had to build some ramps for the Spyder to get in and out, but that is just fine as they have a dual function as a tire chalk when in transit...

A tad on the spendy side, but after a lot of research we chose this over the other 12 we looked at at the time. When not towing our Spyder we use it to hall firewood, gravel, beauty bark, etc...

BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

clear width is the key. You will need at least five and a half feet for an RT (a couple less for an RS) and that will give you precious little extra space on each side. Take your tape measure! The ramp length is also important...the longer the better. The Spyder is low and bottoms out easily at the ramp/bed junction. Raising the trailer tongue with the tongue jack, or loading from a hill or platform can help. You should also read the Owners Guide for the correct way to tie down the Spyder. On a short trailer, wheel chocks may be helpful.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a 5 + 9 Landscape type trailer, My GS will not fit.[rims will scrape hard]
    I also have a 6 1/2 10 Also landscape type the GS fits perfectly.
    The angle of the ramp isn't a problem, When i bought them i got the higher ramps [gates]

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have a Triton aluminum trailer that is 5 ft 4 inches wide and 10 ft long. My 2008 RS fit on it perfectly and my new RT Limited fit on it also. I will be using it to get to Maggie Valley next week. Trailer is extremely light and makes it very easy to tow and has 15 inch wheels.

Spyder Garage

Guys, has anyone used Uhaul 5x9 or 6x12 utility trailers...I have just bought a new Spyder RS S. I am only planning to use a trailer once or twice per year so it doesn't make sense to shell out $1.5k for a regular trailer...plus storage is extra money in the winter.

Thanks guys

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chitown Newbie View Post
    Guys, has anyone used Uhaul 5x9 or 6x12 utility trailers...I have just bought a new Spyder RS S. I am only planning to use a trailer once or twice per year so it doesn't make sense to shell out $1.5k for a regular trailer...plus storage is extra money in the winter.

Thanks guys
    You need to measure the tailgate width, the smaller Uhauls have narrow gates. The one I rented to pick up my Spyder was a 2 axle, I think it was 6 X 12. And you'll need three ramps.

john

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chitown Newbie View Post

Thanks guys
    We used a UHaul 6x10 to get our newly-purchased RS-S home. Worked just fine. As already mentioned, be careful that you get the right model, as some of them have a fixed rear wall butresses that effectively makes the rear opening width about five feet wide. They do have trailers that are fully open across the entire width of the back end, and have a small drop-down ramp that is unsuitable for loading a Spyder. These are the ones that work fine, as long as you have your own loading ramps.

Until we figure out exactly which trailer we want, we will just rent for the few times a year we will need to trailer the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Default U Haul Trailer

My experience with UHaul was:
    1. make sure the trailer has the internal width needed.
    2. The trailer in TN was only available for local haul.
    3. Home Depot has ramps for rent. Need three.

Spyder Garage

You guys are great I was just looking to buy a trailer for my Spyder and I ran accross this post. You saved me a lot of money!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joe18RT View Post
    You guys are great I was just looking to buy a trailer for my Spyder and I ran accross this post. You saved me a lot of money!
    It’s great you got something out of this thread, Joe ....but I don’t know if any of the contributors will read your thanks, as the last post was over 8 years ago

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joe18RT View Post
    Here's what I did...
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-uhaul-trailer
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...