Thread: Trailer

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Trailer

While I was at home depot today, I noticed they had trailers in the parking lot.
    Took a walk over and a 6X10 trailer with a ramp was $1195.00. Cheaper than Tractor Parts.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The number of axles it has is important. One axle trailers will sway at about 60 mph. Two axles trailers will not sway at up to 90 mph. 15 inch wheels are better than 13 inch wheels. Four of either will help control the sway. Don't forget you will need a spare wheel. The price to me sounds good.

Spyder Garage

My Aluma aluminum single axle trailer with 13 in wheels has never had swaying issues. With the proper weight distribution you can cruise at any reasonable speed. With my RS on the trailer I've been up to 80mph a few times with no problems at all. My whole rig weighs about 1100# and tows easily behind an 02 Blazer. A spare tire is probably a good idea. So far I've gambled and have not carried one.

I can't speak to a dual axle since I have never had one. I'm sure they help in some situations. They also will add some weight to the vehicle. I tend to be a minimalist on these things. I've seen the Home Depot trailers and they look pretty good for light use which an RS is. Good luck deciding.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by woodchuck View Post
    While I was at home depot today, I noticed they had trailers in the parking lot.
    Took a walk over and a 6X10 trailer with a ramp was $1195.00. Cheaper than Tractor Parts.
    I had posted about 6x10 trailers last week and I was going to buy one at tractor supply. I did a little more research and found a local dealer that sells Maxey brand trailers. I can get a 6.5x10 comparible trailer for $1095 and the build quality is better. Maxey makes all kinds of trailers.
    You might see if you have a local dealer.
    Last edited by gnkc; 06-06-2011 at 06:49 AM. Reason: typos from stupid smartphone keyboard

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur---Mexico View Post
    The number of axles it has is important. One axle trailers will sway at about 60 mph. .

If your one axle trailer sways at 60 mph, your not disturbing the load evenly.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post

If your one axle trailer sways at 60 mph, your not disturbing the load evenly.
    Usually a result of insufficient tongue weight. I tow all my single axle units (including those for the Spyder) at speeds up to 90 mph. Most is expressway travel at 70-75. Never had a swaying issue if properly loaded.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Proper load distribution and not the number of wheels under the trailer is key to the lack of seasickness at speed...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Proper load distribution and not the number of wheels under the trailer is key to the lack of seasickness at speed...
    Never had a problem with sway on my single axle open or closed trailer.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Arthur, you've been outvoted. No swaying issues on my single axle up to 80. I agree with everyone in that proper load distribution is important.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We had a VOTE going??? I vote for Scotty! I think that he might have forgotten more about this stuff than the rest of know put together!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Wink

I have had a swaying dual axle trailer once... Long story and the scariest time in my life towing... But lets just say that sometimes it is not the weight distribution...

Not countering what is said here, just adding to it

Anyway, we are using what I think is a wonderful single axle trailer (Best I have ever owned) by Snake River. All Aluminum and it tracks so nicely I forget it is there some times... Had to build some ramps for the Spyder to get in and out, but that is just fine as they have a dual function as a tire chalk when in transit...

A tad on the spendy side, but after a lot of research we chose this over the other 12 we looked at at the time. When not towing our Spyder we use it to hall firewood, gravel, beauty bark, etc...

BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Talking

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IWN2RYD View Post
    I have had a swaying dual axle trailer once... Long story and the scariest time in my life towing... But lets just say that sometimes it is not the weight distribution...

Not countering what is said here, just adding to it

Anyway, we are using what I think is a wonderful single axle trailer (Best I have ever owned) by Snake River. All Aluminum and it tracks so nicely I forget it is there some times... Had to build some ramps for the Spyder to get in and out, but that is just fine as they have a dual function as a tire chalk when in transit...

A tad on the spendy side, but after a lot of research we chose this over the other 12 we looked at at the time. When not towing our Spyder we use it to hall firewood, gravel, beauty bark, etc...

When I'm not towing my spyder, it's for "honey dos" too.

Spyder Garage

If you are hauling the trailer empty, it will sway. Hard to distribute a load when there is none... and the ramp definitely makes it tail heavy. I added an anti-sway damper to my setup and that eliminates the issue. Only $25 or so at Harbor Freight. (or throw a few 8x8x16's in the front)
    Also check around... lots of used utility trailers on Craigslist; and most locales have an independent trailer manufacturer nearby. You will usually find them lower cost and better quality than HD, Big-Tex, etc.
    I got a 76"x10' diamond plate floor, drop axle, 15" wheels for about $1400
    pe 792; Hindle, performance filter, O2 mod, custom seat, NMN risers, F1 Slider, cowl vents, cold air induction, Triple play, Tipz kit, highway pegs, Kury ISO pegs, grips and throttle lock, 3 gal aux Tour Tank on custom rack.

Spyder Garage

My Aluma single axle with 13" wheels hauls by RT without a problem. I'm glad because the Ohio Turnpike charges tolls based upon the number of axles.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dryheat View Post
    If you are hauling the trailer empty, it will sway. Hard to distribute a load when there is none... and the ramp definitely makes it tail heavy. I added an anti-sway damper to my setup and that eliminates the issue. Only $25 or so at Harbor Freight. (or throw a few 8x8x16's in the front)
    Also check around... lots of used utility trailers on Craigslist; and most locales have an independent trailer manufacturer nearby. You will usually find them lower cost and better quality than HD, Big-Tex, etc.
    I got a 76"x10' diamond plate floor, drop axle, 15" wheels for about $1400
    You are absolutely right that an empty trailer is more prone to sway due to inadequate tongue weight. You can mount the spare forward when empty, to help compensate. A dual-axle trailer exhibits less of this effect. If the trailer has the axle mounted in a good position (some are actually adujustable) this effect can be minimized or eliminated. The weight of a ramp will make an empty, ramped trailer tail heavy. The ramp can will catch the wind, often inducing sway, too. For that reason I prefer either an enclosed trailer or removable ramps.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My AST3 trailer does not sway loaded or not, even at very high speeds.

Spyder Garage

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    You are absolutely right that an empty trailer is more prone to sway due to inadequate tongue weight. You can mount the spare forward when empty, to help compensate. A dual-axle trailer exhibits less of this effect. If the trailer has the axle mounted in a good position (some are actually adujustable) this effect can be minimized or eliminated. The weight of a ramp will make an empty, ramped trailer tail heavy. The ramp can will catch the wind, often inducing sway, too. For that reason I prefer either an enclosed trailer or removable ramps.

Just want to add... This is why in the past that we would purchase trailers that had an adjustable tongue and or sliding axle. By changing the drag and or center point we removed this issue all together. But at a great expense compared to the HF option for sure .

The size and weight of the tow vehicle also plays a roll. Quick example... Our trailer has not once swayed back and forth behind our Crew Cab F150 4x4, but did behind one of my buddies Toyota FJ's...
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I purchased a 6'6" X 10 single axel tilt bed trailer a week ago for $1036.00 out the door. Taxes, plates and title included. Works for me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
    I purchased a 6'6" X 10 single axel tilt bed trailer a week ago for $1036.00 out the door. Taxes, plates and title included. Works for me.
    I'd like to see pics of it.