Spyder Garage

Default SE-5 Shifting Hesitation

The Spyder in question is a 2010 RTS with the SE5 transmission and about 8,000 miles registered. All recalls, including the centrifical clutch, have been performed. When upshifting there often will be a 1 to 2 second delay before the next gear engages. This can happen between any gear, sometimes more than once in a series of shifts going up to fifth gear. I might ride for a day or two without any shifing delays, but then it could happen many times in one day. The hesitations began late in last year's riding season. The oil level has always been full. BUDS reveals no problem and my dealer's technician could not duplicate the problem during a short ride this month. I'm not a mechanic so please excuse me as I try to explain how these hesitations feel: when a delay occurs, it feels like the engine is starved for fuel then suddenly "gets a drink" and resumes normal operation. While a 1 to 2 second delay might not seem like a long time, it feels like an eternity when trying to merge into traffic with other vehicles closing in fast. I've had two close calls. The engine temperature doesn't matter and the rpms when I shift are always at least 3400 rpm, but usually 3800 or above. I've experimented at a wide range of rpms, but the hesitations can happen at any point. This problem never occurred before the SE5 recall. My shifting technique is consistent and hasn't changed in the 14 months of Spyder ownership. Otherwise, I love my Spyder.

Spyder Garage

I think your RPMs are way to low. Try shifting above 5,000 RPMs. I know you said your driving habits have not changed,but what do you have to lose. Give it a try .
    Happy Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mine does the same thing; but VERY rarely. It seems to do it if I'm trying to accelerate a bit more quickly than I normally do... A heavy load, low rpm shift point seems to cause it; bit I can't get it to repeat the symptom on demand; it's not an everytime thing...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I would change out the tranny filter to start with. I have heard of them getting clogged and collapsing.

Spyder Garage

My new 11 RTS SE5 does it intermittently too, and as said cannot be reproduced on demand.
    Might go a few days without doing it and then do it a couple of times in one ride.
    Due for first service next week...will mention it.
    cheers
    Pete
    2011 RTS SE5 Vyper Red, high led brake light, cb/gps/headsets

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I would change out the tranny filter to start with. I have heard of them getting clogged and collapsing.
    Oil and filters were changed at the start of the season; 2 months and one-thousand miles ago...
    I'll ask the dealer about it... Thanks for giving us a direction in which to look!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Had the same issues with2011 RT SE5, called the service tech, and was told to bring the engine RPM up a little more, I did and hasnt done it sence. I was shifting at about the same point that you indicated.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like it could be filter or sensor issues. Try a run where you find the sweet spot for shifting (mine is 4000-4500) when it will shift effortless with the throttle engaged. Just to see if that helps with the problem.

I also usually downshift between 4000 and 3000 to avoid the clunk on the downshift at 1500.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks, everyone. I'll do some experimenting and post the results in the future.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Sounds like it could be filter or sensor issues. Try a run where you find the sweet spot for shifting (mine is 4000-4500) when it will shift effortless with the throttle engaged. Just to see if that helps with the problem.

I also usually downshift between 4000 and 3000 to avoid the clunk on the downshift at 1500.
    Minimum for Upshifting seems to be about 4,000 RPM.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Default SE-5 Shifting Hesitation

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

As promised, here's an update after some experimentation. After increasing the RPMs the hesitation has disappeared. My "sweet spot" seems to be about 4300 RPM. And guess what? My fuel economy has improved by more than 8%! After 314 miles in the last couple of days I got 32.5 mpg up from 30 mpg. Another problem solved by "Spyderpedia." Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My spyder has been in the shop for going on 3 weeks for something similar. When I shift under power from 1 to 2 I get a long rev and slip in the clutch before engaging. I can almost always reproduce it in a down shift from 2 to 1 like if I was passing someone and needed more power. I hope they figure it out soon.
    I had to sell my spyderstill love the Spyderlovers

Duane

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stillriding View Post
    .....After increasing the RPMs the hesitation has disappeared. My "sweet spot" seems to be about 4300 RPM.....

These engines like the higher revs and seem to perform better there. This is the opposite "feeling" if you are use to riding a HD bike. I cant think of a time I continued to operate a HD above 3k rpms so it took a bit of getting use to (kinda like not having to put your feet down when stopping).

Spyder Garage

Default Again Spyderlovers Rock

After reading these posts I have increased my RPM's and WOW makes big difference in how "she" shifts...now I'm counting on that increased MPG...yep, yep Spyderlovers are the best....
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5