Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Cold weather and rain gear in VA

I am trying to figure out what is the best approach for the approaching season. Heated vest or heated full jacket vs. 1PC or 2PC suit not sure if leather or textile.

On the flip side what is good rain gear? I got caught in the elements the other day and found out the bike handles good but my gear was soaked!

Any recommendations?

Leo Vince Ti pipe, Juice Box, o2, Evoluzione Race air flow kit, 155 spring, and a Mad paint job
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/a...p?albumid=1117
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/a...p?albumid=1061

Spyder Garage

The heated vest/jacket decision depends a bit on how much cold or heat you can tolerate. My wife uses a jacket, plus everything else she can put over it. A vest is usually too warm for me, even on low. The nice thing is that it works without the electric as a nice extra layer, as would a jacket. If you plan on electric gloves, I would go for the jacket, just to make the hookup easier. If you wear your riding jacket without the liner (except in extreme cold) the jacket is nice because it keeps your arms warmer. It appears you have a short windshield. A tall one with hand protection would be my first choice of gear, but I would go for the jacket if you run the stock shield. For marginal weather temps in the mid-thirties to low forties, with a tall windshield, I prefer the vest.

As to outer wear, I have both leather and textile, but I prefer the textile for most riding. Easier to ventilate if it warms up, repels light rain, snow, and splash, and the overpants go on quickly, over anything. The leather will cut the wind...but you need full pants instead of chaps. The leather bib type pants are really warm. Also consider technical longjohns as a base layer, knee length socks, and glove and sock liners. Don't forget a good balaclava. A neck gaiter or a turtleneck is a real blessing, too. There are balaclavas that combine a wind-proof neck flap or gaiter. For extreme cold, a one piece suit is the warmest, if you can fit it to your body, but with a 3/4 length touring jacket, two-piece works very well.

My normal winter wear is a Tourmaster electric vest over a single, turtleneck base layer, Tourmaster overpants, knee socks, sock and glove liners, tall (12") boots, heavy balaclava, heavy gloves or heated grips, and a FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Heated jacket liner is the way to go. Gives you more flexibility and a better choice of outer coats to wear over the liner. Gerbing heated gear is the best. I prefer textile coats.

In your area, I think you could get by with heated grips and mid-weight gloves and, if needed - lightweight glove liners. I hate bulky gloves and I've never been able to find a pair of heated gloves that were not bulky. Heated grips are great also in the early Fall and Spring. Check out www.leeparkdesigns.com I have had a pair of his gloves for 10 years and they are still going strong. I haven't tried the phase change gloves so I can't comment on them.

I've never needed heated pants or pant liners. Heavy jeans and on rare occassions some thermal long johns (Polartec type material). Thermal socks with good boots have always kept my feet cozy on the Spyder.

Highly recommend Baker Built Air Wings (www.bakerbuilt.com). They knock a lot of wind off of you in cold weather and increases air flow around you in hot weather.

Frogg Toggs raingear are great. www.froggtoggs.com Best thing about them is that they breathe - something you will be thankful for in the hot summer. Although not the most stylish - I swear by them.

My riding buddy refuses to go with heated gear. We spend a lot of time while he layers on and layers off!! His "layers" take up half of his storage. Heated gear is the way to go. Be sure you get thermostat controllers - both for the heated hear and grips. Simple hi and lo settings never get it right.

Spyder Garage

I use a heated jacket and gloves under 2 piece leathers
    If it's really cold I put polartec or a one piece drysuit underwear
    For rain I use a gortex shell mountaineering type
    Between the two I stay toasty

For long sub freezing rides I put some mountaineering mitts over the heated gloves
    Next time we ride I'll show you my gear
    2009 SE5 Aerocharger turbo, Evoluzione Swaybar, Penske racing shocks, 225/45 r15 hankook ventus r-s3 tires all the way around

Spyder Garage

I keep frogglogs in the trunk always.
    Last year I bought Gerbing battery heated gloves.
    They really do work well.
    Good winter boots for warm and dry needed.
    When it gets cold (13 degrees for 8 hour rides) Get ski bib snow pants. Wal-Marts are OK
    Heated vest work but like Scotty says they are on for awhile then off they tend to get to warm.
    Then for the best part of cold winter rides.
    Pick ups with HD stickers I always wave as I pass.
    I secretly hope they are the summer riders who don't wave.
    Spyders have a 12 month riding season.
    I smile allot on winter rides.
    Beyond happy SpyderLover

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For the rain, you might want to look at these. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Colum...+long+run+bibs
    Looks like a good price and got some good reviews.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The heated vest/jacket decision depends a bit on how much cold or heat you can tolerate. My wife uses a jacket, plus everything else she can put over it. A vest is usually too warm for me, even on low. The nice thing is that it works without the electric as a nice extra layer, as would a jacket. If you plan on electric gloves, I would go for the jacket, just to make the hookup easier. If you wear your riding jacket without the liner (except in extreme cold) the jacket is nice because it keeps your arms warmer. It appears you have a short windshield. A tall one with hand protection would be my first choice of gear, but I would go for the jacket if you run the stock shield. For marginal weather temps in the mid-thirties to low forties, with a tall windshield, I prefer the vest.

As to outer wear, I have both leather and textile, but I prefer the textile for most riding. Easier to ventilate if it warms up, repels light rain, snow, and splash, and the overpants go on quickly, over anything. The leather will cut the wind...but you need full pants instead of chaps. The leather bib type pants are really warm. Also consider technical longjohns as a base layer, knee length socks, and glove and sock liners. Don't forget a good balaclava. A neck gaiter or a turtleneck is a real blessing, too. There are balaclavas that combine a wind-proof neck flap or gaiter. For extreme cold, a one piece suit is the warmest, if you can fit it to your body, but with a 3/4 length touring jacket, two-piece works very well.

My normal winter wear is a Tourmaster electric vest over a single, turtleneck base layer, Tourmaster overpants, knee socks, sock and glove liners, tall (12") boots, heavy balaclava, heavy gloves or heated grips, and a FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket.
    Scotty: brand names please for your technical longjohns and balaclava? thanks.
    I went with the Gebring jacket, pants and boot liners....I am considering ordering their gloves also to plug into jacket. Gebrings are great.I purchased from their outlet store - 1/2 price..I have tourmaster rain gear,
    leather jacket and pants plus mesh jacket/pants. I wear the mesh mostly..altho now as temps are dropping in Eastern WA I have been wearing the leather jacket. Because of the airflow on the Spyder I have only added mesh pants a couple times..got on the higher elevations and got chilly. I don't do cold AT ALL - for your wife's position "give me all the heat that is available".
    I'm ryding until the slick roads appear..altho I am watching for them...in this country you can have gorgeous sunshine, dry roads and turn a corner and bam ice patch just waiting for you...and that kind is mostly the black ice that can really create havoc... am sure if that happens on Ms. Spyder I will need to add depends to my layering!!!
    Everyone have a great day.

Spyder Garage

i ride all winter in new england ... long under ware a bunch of layers good gloves full face helmet (snowmobile helmet when really cold like -5)
    good boots .... i did consider heated gloves .... but so far havent bought them yet ..
    THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    Scotty: brand names please for your technical longjohns and balaclava? thanks.
    Most of the time I wear DuoFold Varitherm longjohns. I believe they make different weights, but mine are probably medium weight. Any brand of polypropylene high performance base layer will do well. Try the outdoor or camping stores, like CampMor, Cabela's, or Gander Mountain. My lightweight Balaclava is a Shampa, but my heavy one is an old nomex racing headsock. Shampa makes several weights and lengths. Nancy's heaviest balaclava is a Polartec, with a fleece neck band. I think Deb (dltang) has one, too.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SupaMan_3 View Post
    I am trying to figure out what is the best approach for the approaching season. Heated vest or heated full jacket vs. 1PC or 2PC suit not sure if leather or textile.

On the flip side what is good rain gear? I got caught in the elements the other day and found out the bike handles good but my gear was soaked!

Any recommendations?
    I took the FREE way out when it comes to rain gear. Being in the military are always issued gear when we deploy. The other day when I was riding home from denver I got caught in a down pour. Well the gortex jacket and pants kept me dry. You can find the gear at a military surplus store pretty cheap. Since the Air Force has decided to change their uniforms you should be able to find the woodland camo or the dessert camo.

Spyder Garage

+1 what Scotty said (and others). We have Gerbings, and the new models give heat much faster than ours. We also wear Roadcrafter suits from Aero Designs (Aerostich) in Duluth, MN. Water proof. Comfy. Plus saved my skin (literally) when my bike was attacked by a SUV. Good in temps 20F - 80sF.
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Raingear

Although some have had success with raingear from an outdoor store, standard FroggToggs, or military raingear, many others, including myself, have not. I highly recommend good, motorcycle raingear. The best motorcycle raingear has fold-over, velcroed or snapped flaps at the zippers to prevent rain intrusion (I prefer those with full velcro), tight, velcroed or elastic cuffs, stirrups to keep the legs down, and a high tight neck to keep out water there. A hood is a plus...worn under your helmet, but is slows down putting the raingear on. You will pay quite a bit for good raingear, but it is worth it if you ride much in the rain.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Good mountaineering shells have all those features and are generally lighter than motorcycle gear but not cheap
    2009 SE5 Aerocharger turbo, Evoluzione Swaybar, Penske racing shocks, 225/45 r15 hankook ventus r-s3 tires all the way around

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by altonk View Post
    Good mountaineering shells have all those features and are generally lighter than motorcycle gear but not cheap
    Good to know. We flatlanders need an education sometimes...LOL.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I vote for the electric jacket liner and suggest you keep it close to your body with no more than the thickness of a long-sleeve t-shirt between you and the jack liner. You don't want to insulate yourself from the source of the heat. Additional layers can be added on top of the jacket liner. A variable thermostat is necessary to keep the heat where you want it to be.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydrn View Post
    I took the FREE way out when it comes to rain gear. Being in the military are always issued gear when we deploy. The other day when I was riding home from denver I got caught in a down pour. Well the gortex jacket and pants kept me dry. You can find the gear at a military surplus store pretty cheap. Since the Air Force has decided to change their uniforms you should be able to find the woodland camo or the dessert camo.
    Yeah that was my blessing that day i had my gortex bottoms but not the top, I just want something more practical vice rydyng down the road in camo's.

Leo Vince Ti pipe, Juice Box, o2, Evoluzione Race air flow kit, 155 spring, and a Mad paint job

Spyder Garage

Ok all great comments, I looked into the Frogg toadz, and the tourmaster gear. I ended up buying the tourmaster touring 2PC, joe rocket full gloves, check back as these will be my test items

Spyder Garage

More on the gear I decided on.

Spyder Garage

Last group

Spyder Garage

www.newenough.com has First Gear rain pants and jackets on closeout right now as well. It looks like some pretty good rain gear for much less than you would normally pay for it.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by altonk View Post
    The better stuff is taped tri Gortex.High end Jackets run from 4-6 hundred bucks and the pants 2-4 hundred.Gloves/Mitts 60-200 bucks.But the gear works and is tough as nails.I've been buying it for 25 years.(I'm a semi-retired ice climber,as in we only go when it looks like it won't hurt too much!!!)Mountain Equipment Co-op have great prices on their own brands and they ship world-wide.
    Last edited by Eraser; 10-23-2010 at 07:54 PM. Reason: addition

Play Safe!!!

2010 RT.

Spyder Garage

I leave the house at 5:30am and its -4 degrees out, its cold, Im just wearing the Caliber jacket and my rain pants, and im warm enough, only thing that is cold is my fingers really...My wife, has worn the Rain Jacket from Can-am and she says it works well.

Don't be scared of a little cold, just think of me up here in Ontario, freezing my balls off! hahaha

Oh yea, its snowed the other day, I still rode!!!!
    2010 RS Quantum Blue Spyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Diggertoy View Post
    I leave the house at 5:30am and its -4 degrees out, its cold, Im just wearing the Caliber jacket and my rain pants, and im warm enough, only thing that is cold is my fingers really...My wife, has worn the Rain Jacket from Can-am and she says it works well.

Don't be scared of a little cold, just think of me up here in Ontario, freezing my balls off! hahaha

Oh yea, its snowed the other day, I still rode!!!!
    It was a blustery 48 degress when I left for Daytona last week Friday. I won't complain about being cold on the ryde down now, as it was nothing compared to what you are ryding in.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Default cold wheater and rain gear

Hi
    Last year, around this time, there was a tread about Gerbing heated jackets at half price.is this a anual event? (at the start of the American summer)or was this a one of? some one knows? if so please let me know.
    Greetings henk.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie spyder View Post
    Hi
    Last year, around this time, there was a tread about Gerbing heated jackets at half price.is this a anual event? (at the start of the American summer)or was this a one of? some one knows? if so please let me know.
    Greetings henk.
    www.heatedclothingoutlet.com great prices dont always have all sizes