arntufun

Default Paypal Question ???

If you sell a item and get paid through Paypal, what is the method of payment the buyer should do so I (the seller) do not get a Paypal fee ??? Or do I always have to pay a fee ??? Paypal keeps charging me for the transaction and I'm always losing money on my deals.

Spyder Garage

Unless the buyer pays you with a check or cash, there is no way around Paypal's fees. They have to make money somehow!

I think if you use their credit card fees are waived...
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    If you sell a item and get paid through Paypal, what is the method of payment the buyer should do so I (the seller) do not get a Paypal fee ??? Or do I always have to pay a fee ??? Paypal keeps charging me for the transaction and I'm always losing money on my deals.
    Raise your prices to cover fee.....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Raise your prices to cover fee.....
    The PayPal terms and conditions state just how much of the transaction they are going to keep. It begins with a set amount, usually some change, and then a percentage of the sale price. Most people take this into account when setting their selling price. That is how PayPal stays in business.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

arntufun

I agree with a fee to stay in business but, someone just bought a jacket from me for $100.00. Paypal took over $5.00 from me. So is it always going to be over 5% of the payment ??? That seems high for a electronic transfer that no human needs to handle. The only cost to them is the power to run the computer they are using. From now on I will offer a check price and then a Paypal price for my ads. If the customer wants the package sooner they can pay the extra for the costs of the Paypal fee.

I'm not complaining, I'm just trying to figure this stuff out. Thanks again guys.

Spyder Garage

I agree with a fee to stay in business but, someone just bought a jacket from me for $100.00. Paypal took over $5.00 from me. So is it always going to be over 5% of the payment ??? That seems high for a electronic transfer that no human needs to handle. The only cost to them is the power to run the computer they are using. From now on I will offer a check price and then a Paypal price for my ads. If the customer wants the package sooner they can pay the extra for the costs of the Paypal fee.

I'm not complaining, I'm just trying to figure this stuff out. Thanks again guys.
    You have to read their policy statements. The higher the value of the transaction, the lower the fees go. However, they will always make their money.

Another thing to keep in mind is they are handling the credit card processing for you and that can be 3% straight from most of the credit card issuers. The other choice is for you to get your own credit card acceptance account, and PayPal will look like a great option once you look into that.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    You have to read their policy statements. The higher the value of the transaction, the lower the fees go. However, they will always make their money.

Another thing to keep in mind is they are handling the credit card processing for you and that can be 3% straight from most of the credit card issuers. The other choice is for you to get your own credit card acceptance account, and PayPal will look like a great option once you look into that.

I didn't think of that cost to Paypal. Thanks Wolf. I have now seen the light !!!!! By the way, where have you been ??? Your not around like you have been in the past. You ok ?????

Spyder Garage

I didn't think of that cost to Paypal. Thanks Wolf. I have now seen the light !!!!! By the way, where have you been ??? Your not around like you have been in the past. You ok ?????
    Yes, I am okay. I have had a lot going on with work and family life, so not very much time for posting on the forum. Everything is good though, and hopefully I won't be absent for too long again.

I have some new threads I have to start with some updates as well.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

I will not use Pay Pal for anything. Got burned bad by them. Details are not required. Suffice it to say If something I want is Pay Pal payment only, then I don't need it! But that is just me...
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

Just doing business..nothing is free...E-Bay also has service charges...

Freebob..

Spyder Garage

You can request that the seller do a EFT .... a.k.a. send money to private party. Buyer must select that option. I usually won't do it becaause its just plain sending money from one person to another and there is less protection.

Also, buyer must use existing funding source (like a checking account) .... NOT CREDIT CARD in order to avoid the fee. I just did a transfer for a few thousand dollars for buying my S/C ... and no fee.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

Default buying my S/C

Quote Originally Posted by M2Wild View Post
    You can request that the seller do a EFT .... a.k.a. send money to private party. Buyer must select that option. I usually won't do it becaause its just plain sending money from one person to another and there is less protection.

Also, buyer must use existing funding source (like a checking account) .... NOT CREDIT CARD in order to avoid the fee. I just did a transfer for a few thousand dollars for buying my S/C ... and no fee.

That's a Seadoo friends......S/C....

Freebob...

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Unfortunately, PayPal is just another cost of doing business. As much as I dislike the fee, I'm happy to have it.

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by M2Wild View Post

I knew there was a way to do it. Thank you for the info !!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by freebob View Post
    Just doing business..nothing is free...
    Freebob..
    I thought that "Bob" was free???
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I thought that "Bob" was free???

No that's Feebob....

Freebob...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If you only sell a little, then you can get away with a private paypal account and avoid most fees, but when you do large transactions, and several of them like our company does, we use the "mass payment" option. Cost our buyers (or us) a dollar and can be done in increments up to $10k per transaction. Not many people know of this

PS...you will need to upgrade to a Premier/business account in order to use it, but to do the upgrade is free.