Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I too, would like to try a different tire--but the dealers here will not install them on for "safety" reasons.

I confess, I am not a mechanic--so a tire change by me--is out of the question.

I don't think my dealer would have installed a different tire either.

I never got to the point of finding out because when I checked to see what they would charge to replace the back tire, they said it would be 2 hrs labor ($180.00) to remove and install the back wheel plus the charge from Belle tire ($20.00) to mount the tire on the rim (my dealer doesn't have a tire changer). 200 bucks and I still don't have a new tire.

So I go buy a Kumho at Discount tire for $85.00 and take it to the local Honda dealer and they did the work for $65.00. Complete job $150.00.

When I took the Spyder in for the 12,000 mi service there was a note on the repair slip stating that the stock Kenda tires are the only tires approved for Spyders. They are designed to work with the anti-lock brakes and the VSS system.
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mxz600 View Post
    When I took the Spyder in for the 12,000 mi service there was a note on the repair slip stating that the stock Kenda tires are the only tires approved for Spyders. They are designed to work with the anti-lock brakes and the VSS system.
    If by "designed" they mean the tire is round, and made of rubber.... then I guess that is correct.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I found a dealer (I'm not ratting him out!) who's willing to slip a Falken under the rear of the Spyder. He's just putting "reqr tire change" on the bill without any mentuion of the brand... I have heard of some dealers refusing to put anything but a stock "chickenskin" on the hoops...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mxz600 View Post
    I am not surprised that a dealer would note the different tire when doing the normal service. It is a CYA thing. It also shows that they are giving the Spyder a thorough going over during the service. That's a good thing. I remember when my dealer noted a slightly scratch wheel. I was happy that they looked things over that closely.

I get a kick out of what they say about the Kendas being designed to work with the VSS, and particularly the ABS. Think about it. The purpose of the system is to keep the vehicle under control when the traction, steering forces, or braking is not balanced. Having a different tire, that has more or less grip than the original, can throw the balance of the reaction to these physical forces off...but the VSS is designed to compensate for exactly that effect! Other than the possibility of it kicking in more frequently, or not having to kick in as soon as it did before, there should be no changes. Yes, other tires were not tested, and provide an unknown, but wet roads, gravel, and other road conditions provide unknowns, too. The VSS is supposed to deal with those things. It seems to me that there is no sound reason why it should not be able to cope with slightly different tires, too. Other than mismatched tire diameters, there should be no problem, IMO.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Absolutely. Makes perfect sense, just think about buying tires for your car.
    Cars have ABS and many have traction control.
    When you buy tires for your car, they look up the tire manufacturers to see which tires fit, they don't check the car manufacturer to see which tires are approved.
    The difference is, thereare precious few, if any, tire stores for motorcyles. Right now, most of us rely on our Spyder dealers to service the tires.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Having a different tire, that has more or less grip than the original, can throw the balance of the reaction to these physical forces off...but the VSS is designed to compensate for exactly that effect! Other than the possibility of it kicking in more frequently, or not having to kick in as soon as it did before, there should be no changes.
    I kind of got a chuckle when I read that note on the repair slip.

But you are correct Scotty. The VSS does kick in more with the Komho than it did with the Kenda.
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Spyder Garage

Those of you that are running car tires (especially the front) are you running them at the recommended psi, or a little less?

Spyder Garage

I use the same pressure. Due to the Kenda's not being round and required a lot of weight to balance, the bike ran like crap. Now I have Pirelli, and it rides like a completely different bike.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=EBNewsome;1377129]Those of you that are running car tires (especially the front) are you running them at the recommended psi, or a little less?[/QUO I am running Continetal's Contiprocontact's on the front, @ 19 PSI.

​Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Default Fantastic!

I put Federal Federal Formoza AZ01 - 165/55R15 on the front, rear is a BFGoodrich Advantage T/A 215/60R15 (Has over 15,000 miles now and looks almost new)
    I just finished a 4,800 mile 10 day trip with both front and rear set to 19lbs. We drove from MN thru Canada to Angle Inlet, MN then down to Fort Meyers FL, back up through the Cherohala Skyway, Tail of the Dragon, and Devils Triangle on up to Cincinnati, then Dayton, Indianapolis, then back home. The CAR Tires were fantastic from paved to dirt to hot to wet surfaces and conditions.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Deanna777;1377142]
    Quote Originally Posted by EBNewsome View Post
    Those of you that are running car tires (especially the front) are you running them at the recommended psi, or a little less?[/QUO I am running Continetal's Contiprocontact's on the front, @ 19 PSI.

​Deanna
    Deanna, how are the Continental's performing. Even though I just purchased my Spyder I was thinking of getting rid of the Kendas (only 600 miles on them) and trying the Continental's. Would I notice a big difference in handling?

Or should I keep the Kendas on and go with the Bajaron swaybar first then some new front tires? Bare with me I'm a newbie Spyder owner.
    Last edited by BigBlock; 07-15-2018 at 04:57 PM.
    2018 RT Limited , Champagne

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=BigBlock;1377219]
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post

Deanna, how are the Continental's performing. Even though I just purchased my Spyder I was thinking of getting rid of the Kendas (only 600 miles on them) and trying the Continental's. Would I notice a big difference in handling?

Or should I keep the Kendas on and go with the Bajaron swaybar first then some new front tires? Bare with me I'm a newbie Spyder owner.
    There is only 1 opinion/correct answer regarding the "car tire" on a Spyder question. Search "Car tire" on the forums and see for yourself
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Spyder Garage

Default stock rear tires

Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy View Post
    I'm also running a stock size Kumho on the rear of my 2010 RT. I agree with Dan that it isn't as sticky as the OEM tire but it's not a problem. We haven't had any rain to ride in so I don't know how it will be in the rain. Just less than 2,000 miles on it so I don't know how the wear will be but I hope it's better than the OEM. Only got 9,000 miles out of the first OEM and changed the second with about 5500 mile although it wasn't completely worn out.

Cotton
    My first was also 10k and 2nd @ 5600mls totaly shot... put car tire on michlin Defender HT 205/60/15 now 8K on tire tread depth std @ 10/32 and as of todays maintainance on my RTS it is still @ 10/32 streight across tire running 28 PSI we ride 2 up hard all the time no babying on our 5015

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EBNewsome View Post
    Those of you that are running car tires (especially the front) are you running them at the recommended psi, or a little less?
    There are a zillion opinions on this, EB. By “recommended psi”, I assume you mean the psi that BRP recommends for the Kenda fronts. That goes out the window when you switch to car tyres.

Some are running their car tyre fronts at 16psi (and have run them temporarily as low as 10psi with no problems - good car tyres are much more strongly manufactured than the Kendas, so they can be run lower with no issues) and some are running them at 24 and anywhere in between. Some may even be running them higher than 24psi, but that is fairly rare.

Have a good search, and you will see many threads providing the reasoning behind psi selections (some of it quite heated). You can then start with a psi based on that research, that appeals to you, and then gradually adjust the psi to suit your handling and wear needs. I am running my Kuhmo fronts at 18psi, and I’m a heavyweight

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=BigBlock;1377219]
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post

Hi BigBlock,

The Continental's are performing great, you'll notice a slight difference ( I ran the Kendas on the front, these were changed @ 12,807 Miles) in handling.

I had a slight fender vibration on the right side, when I applied the brakes, that is why I changed the front tires. I had 4 or 5 weights on the inside of the rims when the Kendas were on the .

Go with a The Continental's , then get Laser Alignment. I do not have the Bajaron sway bar on my spyder.

What year is your spyder?

What spyder model do you have?

I have a 2014RTS-SE6 the Tire size I'm running is 165/60 R15 and running 19PSI.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info Deanna. It’s a 2018 RT Ltd. Will look into the Continental’s
    2018 RT Limited , Champagne

Spyder Garage

Just some outside input - I have 4 reverse trikes of my own and run Continentals up front and various brands on the rear. Average life on the front is 40-45k and rear a bit less at 32k. 16-18 psi front and 24 on the rear. Early on I tried Kenda tires and did not have any luck with, well any aspect of that brand so I switched quite quickly to Formosa, Bridgestone and various other brands with great results and settled in on conti just because they have a nice profile and fit the rim specs nicely. In general all car tires will provide the needed adhesion and longevity required to go 30-50k if properly inflated and balanced (traditionaly)