Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Tires

Hi;
    I need some input. Last summer I installed new car tires on the front of my 2008GS and am very happy with the performance of these tires. I want to install the same tire on the rear and Can-Am dealers I have contacted will not install any tires except the original Kenda because BRP does not recommend any other tires. Are U'all installing your own tires or are you having this same problem with dealers?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mike and Marcia View Post
    Hi;
    I need some input. Last summer I installed new car tires on the front of my 2008GS and am very happy with the performance of these tires. I want to install the same tire on the rear and Can-Am dealers I have contacted will not install any tires except the original Kenda because BRP does not recommend any other tires. Are U'all installing your own tires or are you having this same problem with dealers?
    Dealer did mine... Was an out of state/middle of trip thing too. I called ahead, and asked if it would be alright for them to install, and if I shipped them the tire direct from TireRack.com. Dealer told me they would have to have me sign a release in order for them to do so, but they never made me sign one.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post
    Dealer did mine... Was an out of state/middle of trip thing too. I called ahead, and asked if it would be alright for them to install, and if I shipped them the tire direct from TireRack.com. Dealer told me they would have to have me sign a release in order for them to do so, but they never made me sign one.

Thanks WackyDan,
    I found an out of state dealer that will do it for me. The only stipulation was they would not warrent the tire (duh) the tire co does! Bring your Spyder to the Iron Horse in Stecoah.
    ironhorsenc.com. Would like to meet up!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Regarding the rear tire, refer to:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=27161

I had the Kumho Ecsta AST put on my RT-S last Wednesday and promptly took off on an 800 mile weekend trip. Sweet tire!

Regarding the front tires....haven't got there yet. I'll be looking for feedback, too, when the time comes.

But, whatever you do, DON'T stick with the stock tires......they wear out faster than the battery in my iPhone!!

Spyder Garage

I recommend car tires all the way around. I have been doing this for three years.

There isn't much available for the front in the stock size and speed rating. If you go to 175/65R14 there are many more choices. The 175mm tire fits under the fender with no problems. Others have gone to 180/60R14. I never went beyond 175mm.

Spyder Garage

Hi;

I get my Spyder tires changed at Discount Tire. Their machine can handle the Spyder rims and I use Ride_on to balance the tires, no need for wheel weights.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Hi;
    I had to sign a waiver with the dealer that installed my BFG rear tire stating that if it caused any problems with the Spyder, or I died because something went wrong, they could not be held liable. This was because it was not a stock tire. I gladly signed their waiver.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Someone told me that the balancing beads work great until the bike is not driven for a while,say over the winter,then it causes big balancing troubles..Anyone have ant experience like this?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have falken 512 all around. 175 in front were bit snug and I had to pull the fenders back because discount tire guy wouldn't in fear of breaking them. 3 dealers refuse to install falken in rear and 2 were ok with it.

I think these are better than kumho but when I got the fronts, it felt like I was sitting up higher than with stock tires, felt very weird but seems to be gripping better than stock. They are same height as stock but may stiffer wall makes it feel taller?
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

changed my rear tire after the rainy event-weekend (8500 mls) - my RT was slidering in each curve .. my wife hates that - i love it (slyderlover) ..the profil of the tire was not on his end .. but decided to install a car tire with more crip and best rain-performance ..
    Fulda Carat Extremo .. they pumped it with 2,2bar/ 32 psi and the crip is really much better than before ..
    http://www.dragtimes.com/parts/ONE-N...407080787.html

the front ones are still OK .. but they couldn`t "balance" one of them (need a new wheel?) which is the reason of my handlbar Vibration which was getting a real problem with the harder 2011 front shocks
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cyclelover63 View Post
    Someone told me that the balancing beads work great until the bike is not driven for a while,say over the winter,then it causes big balancing troubles..Anyone have ant experience like this?
    I don't have them in the Spyder but I have them in my 9 and love them. The difference between the 2 is Ride On give you a level of protection for possible flats/punctures. As far as the guy saying that dyna beeds give you issues if they sit for a while isn't accurate. They actually continually balance the tire as it wears. Beads will travel to the there sweet spot once in motion. Sounds to me that guy had flat spots on his tires for sitting to long. Some folks either jack their bike up or pit cardboard under tires to prevent the flat spots on the tires. After a tire gets a flat spot it will be hard to get it to balance out.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

I'm thinking of going with car tires in the front as well, what pressure are you guys running at?
    ".........regrets are only memories written across my brow, and there's nothing I can do about it now......" Wille Nelson

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm running the Potenzas up front in the orginal size on a 2011 RT Limited.
    Love them....handling seems better than with the stock fornt tires. Always ride 2 up. Like the stiffer sidewalls on the car tire. Have 25 lbs in them.

Duane

Spyder Garage

Default tires

2 Spyders, 2 Kuhmo's both with Ride On in them love em! rain or shine - little slippery in the snow tho.. LOL
    I'd rather be on 3 wheels, but 18 pays the BILLs!
    We are a two SpYder family!

N1RDH

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Monday I took off the original Kenda's and installed General Altimax RT's. When I hopped on my RS it wad like I was on a different I couldn't believe the improvement in feel, responsiveness and handling

Just drove from home to Indy on the way toward the BBQ and MV and these tires are fantastic! I got them at a super price and so far (223 miles) I'm thrilled with car tires on my RS.
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Spyder Garage

Kumho Ecsta AST on the back running 45 PSI. 10K and counting. Only odd thing is in the heavy rain the rooster tail goes back n forth. Imagine a firefighter hosing down a burning building. Back n forth...rinse, repeat. Due to tread pattern I imagine.

Better traction in snow and ice than OEM's too.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pierrelogic View Post
    Kumho Ecsta AST on the back running 45 PSI. 10K and counting. Only odd thing is in the heavy rain the rooster tail goes back n forth. Imagine a firefighter hosing down a burning building. Back n forth...rinse, repeat. Due to tread pattern I imagine.

Better traction in snow and ice than OEM's too.
    never noticed mine... I'll have to watch - but wait.. you take off rear fender?
    I'd rather be on 3 wheels, but 18 pays the BILLs!
    We are a two SpYder family!

N1RDH

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by katnapper View Post
    never noticed mine... I'll have to watch - but wait.. you take off rear fender?
    Negative on the fender. I would have never known myself without someone riding behind me during a storm. It soaked them.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Car Tires and Pressures

I replaced the rear tire last summer at 11,000 miles with a Nitto tire & run 35 psi. I had an independent shop-Pro Cycle in Vermont-do the mounting & balancing. I recently put the Bridgestone Potenza's on the front with 23 psi at 17,000 miles. I brought the wheels in to Tire Warehouse in Rutland, VT for mounting & balancing. I am extremely happy with both tires. Front tires are much smoother than the original tires which had been swapped side to side & rebalanced due to uneven wear at about 10,000 miles. I checked toe-in with a tape measure and it is 1/16", about 3 times allowable of 0.0mm+-0.5mm. I am getting an alignment done with the new steering recall next week.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have the Falken Ziex 512's on front and a Nexen N2000 on the rear ... much better performance than stock

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm looking at the Falken ZE-912 for the rear...
    I found a place that sells them for $84 delivered to your door... Any opinions???
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I too, would like to try a different tire--but the dealers here will not install them on for "safety" reasons.

I confess, I am not a mechanic--so a tire change by me--is out of the question.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe I'd best call and see if they'll have a problem installing a "Non-Kenda"...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Kinda Like Kenda Fronts

Replaced worn rear tire with Kumho at about 14,000 miles, happy with it. 18,000 miles scuffed a front rim (cosmetic, balance & tire OK - but ugly).  Found pair new front rims cheap.  Ordered new pair Kenda for front $135 pair with shipping.  Have not seen car tire for front with as high speed rating equal Kenda.  Original Kenda fronts have worn wear well, no where near wear indicators, most miles have been 2up and weight better part 500lbs.  Just wanted new tires for new wheels and to have mounted spares.

Good luck whatever you get.

Ray

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    I'm still riding with the original fronts at 33,000 miles.
    Me too I replaced mine at just over 35K the rear went 22.750 but it was pretty well done by then.....