Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Question How do you wire up the 12 volt outlet in the trunk so it stays hot at all time?

Hello family, can someone please help. I am about to install the 12 volt outlet in the trunk of my RS and I want it hot at all times. Any pictures and information on this installation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Wire it directly to the battery. Or you can install a fuse block up front (still involving direct wire to the battery) and have selective banks of always hot or switched. I wired mine thru the frame with a wire puller.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

There is an unswitched 3 amp harness which should be tied in the center, near the steering column/trunk latch. You'll also need to add a fuse in the correct slot of the fusebox, and may need to change the connector on that harness.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This white plug is the un switched always hot connector, you could re-wire it to this one you will find it up front right behind the trunk latch.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Question

@ NancysToy. What am I changing the connector on the harness to?
    Will I be able to use this location to hook up additional outlets? For instance on my console.

@ Burg650. Are these wire long enough to reach the outlet that's in the trunk? If not what needs to be done? Am I using additional wire with some sort of connector or additional wire using soldier. What gauge wire?

Thanks for the help so far family.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dcspyder View Post
    @ NancysToy. What am I changing the connector on the harness to?
    Will I be able to use this location to hook up additional outlets? For instance on my console.

@ Burg650. Are these wire long enough to reach the outlet that's in the trunk? If not what needs to be done? Am I using additional wire with some sort of connector or additional wire using soldier. What gauge wire?

Thanks for the help so far family.
    I don't even know if you have to change the connector. I don't remember if it is the same as the switched power harness or not. The switched power harness plugs to the 12 V outlet directly. Just try it on the outlet before installation, and rewire if necessary.

The wires should be long enough, but you may have to clip some wire ties. The existing wire is 20 gauge stranded.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

arntufun

My dealer just did this conversion to mine. He simply unplugged it from the switched power harness and plugged it in to the always hot harness located behind the fuse block in the frunk. They only charged me a 1/2 hour labor, so it couldn't have been that difficult. No rewiring was needed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am using it something else but all you have to do is tap the line with two wires and run it to where you want it to go.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Thanks for the help everyone. I tapped right into the un-switched 3 amp harness right behind the trunk latch and ran some additional wire right to the socket the cramped on two connectors and connected them to the correct polarity. I then added the 3 amp fuse in the correct slot of the fuse box and it works beautifully. In the end, it looks like It's straight from the factory factory. Once again, thanks so much for the information.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What will you use this for, I put in a 5 amp fuse in mine I found that my cell/ipad charger would blow the 3 amp sometime.