Spyder Garage

Default Avoiding obstacles

My husband was ryding my spyder the other day and saw roadkill right in the middle of the road. He missed it with the front tires but hit it with the back. His question (and mine) are this: Which is the better tires to hit an obstacle with - the front or the back? His idea is to hit it with the back as it's the bigger tire and you prob wouldn't lose control. Thanks for any info.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Generally I'd have to agree that it is better to hit an obstacle with the back tire if it could not be avoided altogether.

Spyder Garage

We are talking about possums, rabbits and such.When you can't avoid it My thinking is try to miss it with the inside of the front tire and the outside of the rear tire. I have done this and at other times I hit it with the back tire. O well Hope i don't see anything bigger because it will be Ketty bar the doors if it is anything bigger

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fispyder View Post
    We are talking about possums, rabbits and such.When you can't avoid it My thinking is try to miss it with the inside of the front tire and the outside of the rear tire. I have done this and at other times I hit it with the back tire. O well Hope i don't see anything bigger because it will be Ketty bar the doors if it is anything bigger
    Bingo!! Just miss on the inside of the front tire and outside of the back. That is the method I use also. Now, if it were just that easy with the water puddles....boy, those get sketchy sometimes.

Spyder Garage

This issue is one of those that reminds me that I have aged. Although I'm pretty quick, I just don't have it like I did say thirty years ago. I think the operative word is "try" to avoid or "try to" miss with both, but saying and doing at my age are sometimes oxymoronic.

Chris PE# 0004

Spyder Garage

The third wheel in the middle has also been an issue for me. I have hit a few things in the road squarely with the back wheel. Now, I try to avoid things by just edging them with either front--if possible--it does not always work though. Looking ahead as much as possible is the best solution, but that does work all the time either.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Hey, wait 'til you tow a trailer, and add two more tracks. It's like trying to avoid an obstacle with a steam roller.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The third wheel in the middle has also been an issue for me. I have hit a few things in the road squarely with the back wheel. Now, I try to avoid things by just edging them with either front--if possible--it does not always work though. Looking ahead as much as possible is the best solution, but that does work all the time either.
    +1
    Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Missing with the Inside front and outside rear wheels is about the best attempt that you can make... IFF.. the ex-critter has been turned so that it's lying parallel to the direction of travel! Beyond that of course all bets are off, so slow down and grit your teeth...
    Scotty, How much does the trailer hinder any emergency maneurving??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Hey, wait 'til you tow a trailer, and add two more tracks. It's like trying to avoid an obstacle with a steam roller.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2772998...in/photostream

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    M
    Scotty, How much does the trailer hinder any emergency maneurving??
    My experience has been that you don't even notice the trailer. If anything, it may actually stabilize the a bit in emergency or abrupt maneuvers.
    The glass is half full.
    Mike Murphy
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mike3069 View Post
    My experience has been that you don't even notice the trailer. If anything, it may actually stabilize the a bit in emergency or abrupt maneuvers.
    It does make it impossible to miss an object by taking it just inside the Spyder's front wheel, though. On the other hand, the independent suspension of the RT-622 soaks up the divots like a sponge.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Something happen to me awhile back.... A Turtle of all things.... There were people on the side of the road and of course I didn't know what the heck these people was gonna do, my luck jump in front of me and hope I stop to tell em all about the spyder. My mind was watching them. As I gotten closer saw the Big Snapping Turtle in the middle of the road, started to turn to the left side unfortunely I couldn't due to a Car headin' toward me. Can't go to the right because of the people. The turtle went right under me, boy scared the crap out of me not only the rear tire hit him but shot him twenty to thirty feet back in front of me. Stop the turtle was still alive picked him up took him, and was the first time able to pick up a snapping turtle with him snapping at me! to the wood next to the road and off he went. And Remember the people.... Well I got yelled at by em didn't you see the f.... Turtle, want to say well if you weren't standing on the side of the road I might have! well if its turtle brace yourself for some rude awakening!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I've nailed a few Squirrels especially when they run in front of the Spyder and try to straddle the front tires,
    The rear tire gets them every time.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cundiffla View Post
    Something happen to me awhile back.... A Turtle of all things.... There were people on the side of the road and of course I didn't know what the heck these people was gonna do, my luck jump in front of me and hope I stop to tell em all about the spyder. My mind was watching them. As I gotten closer saw the Big Snapping Turtle in the middle of the road, started to turn to the left side unfortunely I couldn't due to a Car headin' toward me. Can't go to the right because of the people. The turtle went right under me, boy scared the crap out of me not only the rear tire hit him but shot him twenty to thirty feet back in front of me. Stop the turtle was still alive picked him up took him, and was the first time able to pick up a snapping turtle with him snapping at me! to the wood next to the road and off he went. And Remember the people.... Well I got yelled at by em didn't you see the f.... Turtle, want to say well if you weren't standing on the side of the road I might have! well if its turtle brace yourself for some rude awakening!
    At least they were standing on the side of the road. I've seen times where they stop their car in heavy traffic, get out and try to replace the turtle (in these cases it was usually a gopher) all the time traffic is about to run them over.

Chris PE# 0004

Spyder Garage

if no one behind you best bet is to hit the brakes hard use the ABS of the spyder and hope you can get enough time for approaching car to pass and then swerve to miss the turtle (assuming no other cars after that one coming at ya and no one behind you to rear end you).
    Last edited by clueless; 05-16-2011 at 06:58 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Brake it right to the limit... If your oncoming traffic clears you you'll have more room to show off your dance moves...

Spyder Garage

When at this past 2011 Spyderfest Cuba, MO, it was turtle road crossing day when Blinc and I finished our Passport Run. Had 2 of them crossing the road in front of me. Was able to avoid 1 of the 2 and although they were quite small, there was not enough clearance to miss the second. Sadly he never made it to the back wheel. It wasn't the outcome I was hoping for.
    Wheeler~ Spyder rydin' tyre syde down!

2013 Spyder RTS SE5
    [CENTER]Respect is common ground we all can share![CENTER]

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler~ View Post
    When at this past 2011 Spyderfest Cuba, MO, it was turtle road crossing day when Blinc and I finished our Passport Run. Had 2 of them crossing the road in front of me. Was able to avoid 1 of the 2 and although they were quite small, there was not enough clearance to miss the second. Sadly he never made it to the back wheel. It wasn't the outcome I was hoping for.
    Rumors have it that was the new Missouri radar turtle. They have been testing them on backroads. Anyone have first hand proof that they work????

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Spyder doesn't have a lot of clearance. So going around the object is preferrable. For smaller stuff, front wheels soaks up the bumps much better than rear. For bigger stuff, rear wheel hits are safer (provided that you lift ur butt off the seat so the impact doesn't buck you off).
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have noticed it is easier to miss a _______ on my Motor Trike than on BR1 due to the more narrow front tire on the Wing. It is better to hit a ______ with the back tire so "stuff" does not fly all over your plastic....hitting them with the front tire makes them squirt sometimes... JMHO

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    Rumors have it that was the new Missouri radar turtle. They have been testing them on backroads. Anyone have first hand proof that they work????

$247 later, I may be able to attest to how it works. Now I may be glad I took one of those turt's out! Almost like my civic duty.
    Last edited by Wheeler~; 05-17-2011 at 06:54 AM.

2013 Spyder RTS SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BIG RED 1 View Post
    ....hitting them with the front tire makes them squirt sometimes... JMHO
    BR; You just made my appetite head for the high ground...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler~ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post

No, silly it was the Remote Spyderfest Video Turtle. We encountered them on the Ladies Ride positioned in the middle of the lane and panning with its camera lens from side to side to get a good shot of us passing.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    No, silly it was the Remote Spyderfest Video Turtle. We encountered them on the Ladies Ride positioned in the middle of the lane and panning with its camera lens from side to side to get a good shot of us passing.
    Oops, I stand corrected!

2013 Spyder RTS SE5