Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Washing spyder without a water hose.

I currently live in a town house and I don't have access to a water hose to wash my spyder. Do you guys suggest alternatives to washing the spyder? Like using a bucket filled with water? Or perhaps not having to wash the spyder at all and use some kind of cleaner product with lots of microfiber towels? Thanks guys!

Spyder Garage

You could check in your area for a place that sells waterbeds. They will probably have a hose kit that you could connect to a sink and run outside, or a pet shop, they sell hose kits that fit the same for filling up fish tanks. Just a thought ....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

1. Take it to a manual car wash. Exercise caution with the high pressure stream.
    2. 'Honda' polish
    3. Lemon Pledge. Hand pump please, save the ozone layer
    4. Mothers/MaGuires spray n wipe cleaner
    5. Just ride it. If God thinks it needs washing, it'll rain on you.

Spyder Garage

Atonic , to this site

Spyder Garage

I sometimes use 2 buckets; one with soap/cleaner and the other with clean water. Of course it takes longer to do this way. I live in an apt. complex with no access to a water hookup.

Spyder Garage

Smile Cleaning

Two buckets one with dish soap and hot water, the other clean warm water. Toothbrush for the small places, old wash cloth for initial scrub. Microfiber (fake Sham Wow) to rinse and dry. It takes a little longer, but you get to know the better.
    2009 GS SE5 Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yeochief View Post
    Two buckets one with dish soap and hot water, the other clean warm water. Toothbrush for the small places, old wash cloth for initial scrub. Microfiber (fake Sham Wow) to rinse and dry. It takes a little longer, but you get to know the better.
    I have used a similar approach. I recommend a car wash soap instead of dish soap, however. Dish soap removes and wax or polish that remains, necessitating re-waxing. I prefer the hose, but when I can't use one, I use the two bucket method. I like to use a clean sponge to wet the Spyder down by squeezing the water out over it. Wiping creates scratches. Wipe after the dirt is flushed and softened. For light soil, and after a bucket washing, I like to use Windex Multi-Purpose with Vinegar. Do not use regular Windex, or any product with ammonia. There are other good quick cleaning products that will do the same, including Plexus, S100, and Lemon Pledge.

BTW, if I use the car wash, I never use high pressure. I just do the pre-soak, then the spot-free rinse. Filling a bucket, and scrubbing in between those steps, is also helpful.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 05-14-2011 at 07:44 AM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Atonic View Post
    1. Take it to a manual car wash. Exercise caution with the high pressure stream.
    2. 'Honda' polish
    3. Lemon Pledge. Hand pump please, save the ozone layer
    4. Mothers/MaGuires spray n wipe cleaner
    5. Just ride it. If God thinks it needs washing, it'll rain on you.
    I've used all these options except #3. Usually I use #5.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Default no-rinse car wash

Due to drought conditions around here in the past few years, car washing was restricted. I bought some no-rinse car wash; I think I ordered it from Amazon. It's called No Rinse Wash & Shine. You use 2 capfuls in 2 gallons of water. You wash a section of your vehicle, then dry the section; it recommends using microfiber towels. I haven't used it on the Spyder yet, but it worked well for cleaning our other vehicles. All you need is a 2-gallon bucket and a bundle of microfiber towels.

Oh, and the easiest way to remove bug guts is to use a fabric softener sheet dipped in water. I dunno how it does it, but it works better than anything else I have tried.

Spyder Garage

I have had mine for 3 weeks now.. I alway use Scott Shop Towels.. They WONT scratch the paint.. I have one with just plain water to wipe it down an couple folded up to dry it as I wipe it down.. After all the wipeing with the water I use Wizzards Mist an Shine... It does take a bite of time an elbow grease but it looks show room perfect when I am done..

Spyder Garage

On the ride to Spyderfest, God washed my RT for 13 straight hours and then used several of his large blow dryers to dry if off.. Still looks pretty good now and this technique if not only effective but requires little effort.
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

I just used pledge on one portion of the spyder. And it's awesome! Now I just have to get these damn water spots out with a spray on wax? What do you guys use to get the water spots out? Thanks guys!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I never wash my spyder using a garden hose. I have a couple spray bottles, that sqirt or spray water where I want. I use industrial type paper towels to wipe water off. I then use Meguire detailing spray/wax and a soft cloth/T shirt rags to polish and shine. It looks brand new.
    Last edited by mvengineer; 05-14-2011 at 06:53 PM.

Spyder Garage

i pee on mine .... only bad part is trying to rinse off all the soap
    THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Ask Seth I don't think he has ever used rinse water on his
    2009 SE5 Aerocharger turbo, Evoluzione Swaybar, Penske racing shocks, 225/45 r15 hankook ventus r-s3 tires all the way around

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use meguires shampoo/conditioner in bucket. Works good 4 caps full will give enough sudds to wash a few spyders. With micofiber clothe then bucket or so to rinse. I also use plexus on windshield and around dash/headlights. Don't use paper towel on display or windshield unless you like swirls!
    Last edited by happyspyder2039; 05-14-2011 at 10:21 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I have used a similar approach. I recommend a car wash soap instead of dish soap, however. Dish soap removes and wax or polish that remains, necessitating re-waxing. I prefer the hose, but when I can't use one, I use the two bucket method. I like to use a clean sponge to wet the Spyder down by squeezing the water out over it. Wiping creates scratches. Wipe after the dirt is flushed and softened. For light soil, and after a bucket washing, I like to use Windex Multi-Purpose with Vinegar. Do not use regular Windex, or any product with ammonia. There are other good quick cleaning products that will do the same, including Plexus, S100, and Lemon Pledge.

BTW, if I use the car wash, I never use high pressure. I just do the pre-soak, then the spot-free rinse. Filling a bucket, and scrubbing in between those steps, is also helpful.
    This works well for me as well.
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tatt2r View Post
    i pee on mine .... only bad part is trying to rinse off all the soap
    Works for me then ride in the rain with mouth closed!

Spyder Garage

Default I haven't used water for years !

I have not used water for years on my Jaguars, Harley or any vehicle. My Spyder is over a year old and has not been "washed". I live in the desert, but even when in Florida I have always done the following and people have been amazed by my finish and lack of rust or the usual swirl marks:
    1) Before every drive/ride I always take a California Duster to the vehicle. Takes about 3 minutes. I hate to leave in a dusty vehicle ! I do the same when I return. If there are any bird droppings, bugs, etc. I immediately use a quick detailer and always a FRESH microfiber. I used to prefer Meguiars. I have began to use a product from the BRP Catalog called XPS Spray Cleaner and Polish as the Quick Detailer. This is an excellent product. It requires a little more effort than the typical quick detailer as it is also a polish, but the results are well worth it as the shine and feel of the surfaces are excellent. It does not seem to be the least bit harsh on any surface of the Spyder and really leaves a glassy "just waxed" look and feel to the paint.
    2) Once a week I do a quick detail using the XPS Cleaner and Polish for the paint and wheels (don't mix towels and keep wheel and bug towels separated from rest of towels), Plexus for plastics and fiberglass, Back to Black or 303 Protectant on vinyl and rubber. Always first use a pressurized can of air on instruments before cleaning, any other way and they will get scratched. BTW, after cleaning bugs, look at the towel as some bugs leave legs and other body parts behind. If so, throw that towel away as you would any towel that fell to the ground and/or picked up debris as they will scratch the surface and cannot be totally cleaned. I use the cheaper "Pep Boys" type towels for that work and otherwise only use Cobra towels.
    3) I keep the windshield and dash on Spyder RT covered when not riding with very large microfiber towels. This keeps dust, smoke, etc. away and these are the easiest part of the bike to get a scratch.
    4) The best chrome cleaner is, yes, STEEL WOOL ! Just be sure it is # 00000 as #000 and below will scratch. Also, if you want to paint any imprints in the chrome just brush on some enamel paint, wait about an hour and then go over the chrome with the #00000 steel wool to remove the excess paint. Works fantastic and you can color match any imprinted data/type on your chrome and make it POP without scratching the chrome or worrying about paint on the surrounding raised area...paint doesn't stick ! Once it has sat in the sun for a while, it will get that baked enamel finish in the depressions, a big wow !

That's it. I have owned a lot of vehicles and the dealers, when trading in, and people are always amazed that the car or bike is as old as it is. They are blown away when I tell them that I have never once used water on the vehicle. Water = rust, spots, swirl marks. Quick Detailers and Plexus lift the dust/debris off the surface so you can gently wipe it off the surface. Haven't had to wax, compound, remove a swirl or remove a water spot in over 10 years. I spend 1/3 of the time I used to. Extra Time = Priceless !
    Last edited by murlaw703; 05-15-2011 at 03:54 AM. Reason: Spelling error, more information

Spyder Garage

I carry a California Duster right in my rear trunk. They are a great tool!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I've had my Spyder for almost three years now... I too haven't used water to wash my spyder. If fact it only been rained on twice since I've owned it. LOL..... I use microfiber towels Original Bike Spirits Spray Cleaner and Polish its in a spray can and I spray and wipe off and some cases polish off pending how many bugs I've hit. The main trick is the Micro Fiber Towel If you spray down and wipe off after or before each ride it takes about twenty to thirty minutes to keep clean. The hardest part is the Frickin' rear wheel which I don't do all the time but when I do takes long long time for whatever reason is. Saw a tool for cleaning wheels in Daytona bike week and wish had gotten it!

Spyder Garage

Default murlaw703

murlaw703,

I've read here that it is best to wet the spyder down first (whether with a hose or squeezing a sponge) to get rid of any loose dirt, otherwise you can scratch the plastic.

You mention: "I immediately use a quick detailer and always a FRESH microfiber." Is this the step you use to replace the spraying on of water?

I ask b/c there are times when I use the two bucket method b/c I don't have access to a hose and faucet.
    Last edited by wyliec; 05-15-2011 at 09:47 AM.

Spyder Garage

Wondering if getting water where electrical stuff is (i.e. wiring harnesses) hurt the system?

Spyder Garage

Probably that was a dumb question as the bike will be out in all weather but want to be sure before I take it to a manual car wash and use a low pressure spray on it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderDuck View Post
    Oh, and the easiest way to remove bug guts is to use a fabric softener sheet dipped in water. I dunno how it does it, but it works better than anything else I have tried.
    Great tip. I didn't know that.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS