Spyder Garage

Default Proper fuel level in Reda gas can

I have two Reda 1 Gal cans I keep filled and in my Spyder left saddlebag when I go on longer trips. Other than adding fuel stabilizer I have a couple questions.

1) Concerning the amount of fuel I to add. Do I fill it up as far as possible to minimize any air or leave space for expansion?

2) How long can I expect to keep the fuel in the Reda cans before replacing?
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

May I add another question to these first ones please?

What do people feel about putting the Reda gas can filled in the front trunk of the Spyder? I have no luggage, yet. Even then, don't know if I will go so far as getting the BRP side bag set up. So, only the trunk is available to hold a gas can at this time.

Better off not? What??

TIA for responses.
    Marilyn

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You will get many opinions on your questions, so here is mine. Fill up until it lightly squrts out of the small slits next to your filler tube...any more and it will spill out on your panel. Stop when you can see the gas in the filler tube, stop. Forcing more will not give you a pint and may make a mess.

I would rotate your extra cans every 30-45 days or so. It will keep fresh fuel in them and is not much of a chore. Perhaps one on a fill and the other the next fill. If you use Sta-Bil, you can add several weeks to this rotation.

I do not carry extra gas, yet. If you can secure the extra can in the front you could be fine, however a front end collision could lead to problems, as you know. I, personally, won't carry extra gas while riding locally. I will rethink this on longer road trips.

JMHO

Last edited by Mr. White; 05-12-2011 at 02:32 PM.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoBT View Post
    May I add another question to these first ones please?

What do people feel about putting the Reda gas can filled in the front trunk of the Spyder? I have no luggage, yet. Even then, don't know if I will go so far as getting the BRP side bag set up. So, only the trunk is available to hold a gas can at this time.

Better off not? What??

TIA for responses.
    I have a similar tank that holds one and a half gallons i kept it in either the trunk or in my Nelson Riggs 950 side bag. So far never had any problems.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BIG RED 1 View Post
    You will get many opinions on your questions, so here is mine. Fill up until it lightly squrts out of the small slits next to your filler tube...any more and it will spill out on your panel. Stop when you can see the gas in the filler tube, stop. Forcing more will not give you a pint and may make a mess.

I would rotate your extra cans every 30-45 days or so. It will keep fresh fuel in them and is not much of a chore. Perhaps one on a fill and the other the next fill. If you use Sta-Bil, you can add several weeks to this rotation.

I do not carry extra gas, yet. If you can secure the extra can in the front you could be fine, however a front end collision could lead to problems, as you know. I, personally, won't carry extra gas while riding locally. I will rethink this on longer road trips.

JMHO

I think he was asking about the REDAs in regards to filling.

I have 2 REDAs and small saddlebags to place them in. However, I've had graphics installed and the saddlebags would touch the panels and probably rub some; so, I probably will put one in the trunk on long trips.
    Last edited by wyliec; 05-12-2011 at 02:40 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You are right, I read too much into it....later

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here is something I found while using one of these, the green ring that you turn before you push down to let fuel flow is a waist of time. It actually make it harder to use and cause me to spill fuel (used it twice to help out stranded biker) so I have cut it off and now much easer to operate and you have to really make sure the cap is very tight.
    Last edited by burg650; 05-12-2011 at 10:10 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info. I agree that the green safety latch is a pain. I may also look into removing it.

I ended up doing some research on "filling gas cans" and it looks like you should only fill the container to about 95% full. This will allow room for expansion if needed. I was thinking if it was completely full there wouldn't be any sloshing. Also I guess even with stabilizer it is suggested to use the gas ASAP. I figure I'll just change it out once a month or so. I'm not looking for peak performance. I just want to be able to get to a gas station in an emergency.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Default reda gas can

what is a reda gas can, and do you get any gas smell putting them in your side bags? also can you put them in your trailer?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Here is the website for the Reda Gas Can

www.redagascan.com

FYI: For Southern Ontario Riders these can be purchased from Rocky's HD in London. The web site lists Canadian distributors in all of the provinces.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderal11 View Post
    what is a reda gas can, and do you get any gas smell putting them in your side bags? also can you put them in your trailer?

Good info in this post inlcuding Lamont video:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=25290

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderal11 View Post
    These were originally designed to fit in a HD saddle bag or trunk. However, two of them will fit perfectly in the left Spyder saddle bag and not slide around. You could also put them in your trailer but need to restain them so they will not move. I had my two Reda cans in my Spyder saddle bag for a couple weeks and didn't have any leaks or smell of fumes. Just make sure the cap is tight.

2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

I just finished nearly 3000 miles in 6 riding days, including a SS1K.

Had a Reda gas can filled all the time.

NEVER came close to needing it.

I think I over worried the gas thing. Went 150 miles between fillups and never put in more than 4.7 gallons.

It was nice to have the comfort to not worry about gas, but with 20/20 hindsight, the worry was unnecessary.

Don't get me wrong, the Reda is a great device, it's just that for me, all it did was take up space I could have used for other things.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I just finished nearly 3000 miles in 6 riding days, including a SS1K.

Had a Reda gas can filled all the time.

NEVER came close to needing it.

I think I over worried the gas thing. Went 150 miles between fillups and never put in more than 4.7 gallons.

It was nice to have the comfort to not worry about gas, but with 20/20 hindsight, the worry was unnecessary.

Don't get me wrong, the Reda is a great device, it's just that for me, all it did was take up space I could have used for other things.

I agree with you and I have never had to use my "emergency" gas can on any trips yet. But I really like the warm and fuzzy feeling of not having to worry about running out of gas.

Actually I did have to use my emegency gas once. My lawn tractor ran out of gas and I didn't want to have to drive into town to refill.
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

I purchased the Reda cans for my trip to Spyderfest. I also added the proper amount of Star-tron to each gallon.

I did two mistakes with my Reda cans, First I removed the dust covers and placed both in the rear trailer 95% full.
    I had the area sectioned off so they would not move in transit. When I stoped at my 3rd fuel stop to get something
    out of the trailer is when I smelled the fumes and noticed gas seeping out. I emptied out more than half into the
    Spyder tank, and cleaned the area as best I could. Made sure nobody wanted to talk about my ride that was
    smoking a cigarette too

Then I ran out of gas the next day before a fuel stop, but used what was left in the container with no problem.

I said that I would not run out ever again.

FYI, when you run out the bike shuts down in like 5 seconds. So get over and off the road pronto. The second time
    it happened I knew exactly what was occurring as I was passing a big rig going 80+ mph, I motioned for him to go by
    quickly as i only had a few moments to get over to the right side of interstate 10.

Next day (Easter morning) I run out 5 miles before scheduled gas stop in Sonora Texas. Had to call my auto club
    for help. They came an hour later with gas

The photo below was taken by a fellow biker who stopped to lend assistance, although he had no extra gas
    with him. I thanked him. Texas hospitality I suppose.

I also figured out why I was running out. I was not completely filling the tank to begin with. I have since changed my
    refueling methods. I don't just go by mileage alone. That was my critical error.

I will always ryde with Reda on a trip. I will only fill up 80% to acct for tempature change.

Spyder Garage

Default TicketBait

I'm glad you got the use out of your gas can. The all important question..............
    How far did you get when you ran out of gas.
    Were you pulling your trailer the whole time?
    Last edited by ThreeWheels; 05-14-2011 at 11:06 AM.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I had to coast 4.6 miles on my V-rod w/o gas - it's milage was about the same as my RT…. I'll always carry the Reda on long trips...
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I'm glad you got the use out of your gas can. The all important question..............
    How far did you get when you ran out of gas.
    Were you pulling your trailer the whole time?
    Yes I was pulling the trailer. I had my analog gauges disconnected and relied on the digital. My error was caused in not
    knowing i was not completely filling up the gas tank, when I thought I was. I had travelled 115 miles on the odometer,
    and thought i had maybe 135 miles total available. The second time I had only gone 110 so i was surprised again. I
    was averaging 25 miles per gallon ( I thought) X 5.5 usable space.

I have since learned that just seeing the gas in the tank does not mean it is full. I now make sure to slowly fill and watch
    the gas go through the small vents, to insure I get every drop. I now watch to see when the first bar on a level riding
    surface goes down 1 bar. If it is before 31 miles I know I am not getting 25 mpg or did not fill it up all the way. I just had
    the throttle body replaced and maybe it was drinking more gas. I sure did notice more horsepower with the swap.

All it takes is me getting say 22 miles per gallon and thinking I had filled up when in reality i only had started with 5 1/4 gallons.

So this is my new friend, now that i know how to properly use.

Spyder Garage

Default Reda Gas Can

Thank you all for this information.

Just ordered my Reda Gas Container for the trip to Durango.

Spyder Garage

I was filling one of my Reda cans the other day and filled it pretty full. When I put the pour spout in the can to close it up, the gas was forced out and all over the outside of the can and ground. I got the impression that the pour spout was closed and took up the same room in the Reda can as it would if it was solid and not hollow. My have been trapped air, but sure made a stinky mess. What do you do with it now, put it in your saddlebag to stink like the outside of the can?
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

I'm the odd one out who had a terrible experience with the REDA tank. Leaked...fumes...gas...mess..... REDA said they had some defective caps. No excuse for such a defect in my book. You buy something for a specific purpose and peace of mind and then find out they had a defect that makes the purpose and peace of mind worthless----- no thanks. Would never trust one of their cans again.

Considering you can easily get 150 to 175 miles from a tank- there really aren't many places in the USA that you'll need the extra gas.

Just my .02.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!