Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Post Towing a trailer other then the CanAm trailer

We get our NEW bike on saturday and one of the things we asked about was being able to tow a small trailer that is not a CanAm trailer. We were told to bring in our wiring and they would wire it in on the bike with the wiring for the CanAm trailer. In Case we ever decided to buy a CanAm trailer.

I get an email today from SK telling me that CanAm has a wiring harness to be able to tow other trailers that would cost $100. We had looked for something like this and even asked about it when we ordered our bike nobody had anything not even CanAm a week ago.

Does anyone know anything about this harness?
    We can't afford a CanAm trailer but we need to be able to pull a small trailer with my scooter in it.
    Darrell & Cindy
    2011 Orbital Blue CanAm Spyder RT-S se5 w/ Communication System & trailer hitch, Arm Rests, Elkas shocks, Baja Ron swaybar & spark plugs and wires, Custom dynamatics fender lights & third brake light, Seal floorboard "PUP" floor boards, CycleMate utility Trailer and Sena 20s with dongle.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

and on your new ride. It sounds like you are asking about the following adapter sold by Can-Am:

http://store.spyder.brp.com/product/...daptor_Harness

It shows to be $140 from them but you may be able to find one cheaper on EBay or Amazon. Hope this helps.
    Monty & Shirley
    We love our . 2011 RT-S 991 SM5 Orbital Blue with the matching RT-622 Trailer, HMT Stoplight, fendertip LEDs, TricLed fender LEDS, front & rear Brightsides, Garmin GPS on the KewlMetal Bracket, Stebel Nautilus Horn and the Utopia Backrest. Corbin Passenger Armrests and SpyderPops Radiator Plate and Cat Shields. Ram driver and passenger cupholders. GT Racing Stripes.

Spyder Garage

Take a look at the following E-bay trailer: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cargo...ht_20261wt_941

One of our forum members is towing one of these from Florida to Alaska, and it comes with the $100 S&K device, free… No charge….

If you are reasonably able to use hand tools, you should be able to install the wiring yourself. This trailer, delivered to you, and the Canadian hitch being discussed on the forum could be yours for under $2,000, or about half what S&K wants for the BRP setup..

If you want S&K to install it, and they want $100 INSTALLED - - they're charging you an hour labor, which is probably reasonable. If it's $100+ installation, it's robbery.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

It sounds like you are asking about the following adapter sold by Can-Am:

That is on the trailer but there would not be anything on the spyder to contact it to. We need the one on the spyder to connect to the one on the trailer.
    Darrell & Cindy
    2011 Orbital Blue CanAm Spyder RT-S se5 w/ Communication System & trailer hitch, Arm Rests, Elkas shocks, Baja Ron swaybar & spark plugs and wires, Custom dynamatics fender lights & third brake light, Seal floorboard "PUP" floor boards, CycleMate utility Trailer and Sena 20s with dongle.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Take a look at the following E-bay trailer: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cargo...ht_20261wt_941

One of our forum members is towing one of these from Florida to Alaska, and it comes with the $100 S&K device, free… No charge….

If you are reasonably able to use hand tools, you should be able to install the wiring yourself. This trailer, delivered to you, and the Canadian hitch being discussed on the forum could be yours for under $2,000, or about half what S&K wants for the BRP setup..

If you want S&K to install it, and they want $100 INSTALLED - - they're charging you an hour labor, which is probably reasonable. If it's $100+ installation, it's robbery.
    Scott just said it was $100 he didn't say if that was just for the part or what. He did say they would put it on.
    Darrell & Cindy

Spyder Garage

We Tow a Elite camper witch can also be used as a trailor here in Australia we use a 7 pin plug and i also fitted a classic tow bar to our Can Am. The Trailor/camper tows true you would'nt know it was behind you. Total weight loaded is about 220KG take 80Kg off without camper.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
    and on your new ride. It sounds like you are asking about the following adapter sold by Can-Am:

It shows to be $140 from them but you may be able to find one cheaper on EBay or Amazon. Hope this helps.

This adaptor lets you change the Can Am Trailers 9 pin to a flat 4 so you can tow it from a non BRP hook-up.
    I think he wants to convert his non BRP trailer to the 9 pin .
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

The Can-Am adapter adapts the Can-Am trailer to a vehicle other than the Spyder RT. That is not what you need. The easiest way, if you won't be towing the trailer with any other vehicle, is to wire in the RT-622 Trailer Tongue Harness P/N P/N 710002029, directly to your trailer. If your trailer does not have separate turn signals, you will need to add some. You may also need to change the trailer connector to suit your needs. The converters don't work on the RT due to the existing module and the LED lighting. If you use your trailer elsewhere, you can make an adapter from a Tongue Harness, that will plug into your Spyder and the trailer connector. The same things can be done with individual Deutsch connector parts, but the Tongue Harness route is easier. That is what I use. Since your dealer seems not to nderstand this well, you might want to buy a Tongue Harness, then take the harness, the RT, and your trailer to a trailer shop, and have them wire things up.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I keep getting the impression you are not exactly high on SK. Unfortunately they are the only dealer I know of within a 100+ miles not that Salem and Eugene are no longer Spyder dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post

Spyder Garage

S&K are nice knowledgeable folks, who know where they have the Spyder community - BTW, the next closest dealer is in Bend - roughly 180 miles.

When they have worked on my Spyder, they have done a good job, and charged for it. Having said that, if I were looking for a new Spyder, I'd look to Bend, the dealer in So. Oregon, or Boise - or not buy a new Spyder. When I decided to purchase my RT, I didn't even bother to call them, just looked for a good used RT, which I fortunately found.

I know about the "support local" issue, and if they were involved with the Spyder community like Seal Floorboards, or any of the local Hardley dealers, I would be more flexible - however, they are not..... Good customer service is what makes a business, not being the "only guy in town". Case in point is the local BMW dealer, which, while very expensive, have terrific customer service.

All it takes is one seriously bad experience to sour a customer - these are not necessities.

JMHO
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

The trailer we are getting has the flat 4 pin on it to plug into the Spyder. The Spyder doesn't have the flat 4 pin to plug the trailer in, it has the round one that the CanAm trailer plugs into.

So untill I can get a different wiring harness I can't pull my trailer with the flat 4 pin as there is no Flat 4 on the Spyder to plug it into.

We are not getting a Canam Trailer unless we win the lottery. We are going to be towing a small trailer that will hold my Mobility scooter.

Thank you everyone for your help.
    Darrell & Cindy

Spyder Garage

There are several threads on how to do this - it really isn't a tough fix. However, you will need the BRP pigtail that plugs into the BRP plug and gives you the connectors you need.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Couple View Post
    The trailer we are getting has the flat 4 pin on it to plug into the Spyder. The Spyder doesn't have the flat 4 pin to plug the trailer in, it has the round one that the CanAm trailer plugs into.

So untill I can get a different wiring harness I can't pull my trailer with the flat 4 pin as there is no Flat 4 on the Spyder to plug it into.

We are not getting a Canam Trailer unless we win the lottery. We are going to be towing a small trailer that will hold my Mobility scooter.

Thank you everyone for your help.
    I am assuming you have the standard 9-pin trailer connector on your Spyder. The RT is not too fond of the 4-pole trailers, but it is easy to adapt one to work. It will take some modifications to the trailer and an adapter for the wiring. First, the trailer needs to have a pair of turn signals or new brake lights installed, so the turn signals and brake lights are separate. The trailer will also need a 5-pole or 6-pole connector, depending on whether you tow it with anything else, and want to retain the old combined brake/turn signal function. As I said before, for a dedicated trailer, you can just add lights and wire in the BRP Tongue Harness. Second, you will need to make up an adapter for the wiring (if you don't use the BRP harness on the trailer). This is all pretty simple stuff, and doesn't take much time. PM me if you need to discuss it further. It can be easily and quickly remedied. Sorry you live so far away, or I'd ride over and help you out.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I am very interested in what trailer you are getting. My wife also uses a mobility scooter.
    Illinois Patriot Guard

Founding member of Woodstock Spyder Ryders

2014 RTS SE6 - White
    2010 RT/AC SE5 retired with 26,536 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    I am very interested in what trailer you are getting. My wife also uses a mobility scooter.
    I think we are going to be looking into buy a bare trailer base and make our own. I know Fred Meyer use to carry a small trailer frame with wheels and you could make your own the way you want it. We want to have some kind of ramp to be able to get the scooter into the trailer.
    Darrell & Cindy

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The Can-Am adapter adapts the Can-Am trailer to a vehicle other than the Spyder RT. That is not what you need. The easiest way, if you won't be towing the trailer with any other vehicle, is to wire in the RT-622 Trailer Tongue Harness P/N P/N 710002029, directly to your trailer. If your trailer does not have separate turn signals, you will need to add some. You may also need to change the trailer connector to suit your needs. The converters don't work on the RT due to the existing module and the LED lighting. If you use your trailer elsewhere, you can make an adapter from a Tongue Harness, that will plug into your Spyder and the trailer connector. The same things can be done with individual Deutsch connector parts, but the Tongue Harness route is easier. That is what I use. Since your dealer seems not to nderstand this well, you might want to buy a Tongue Harness, then take the harness, the RT, and your trailer to a trailer shop, and have them wire things up.

I agree.. and that is what I have.. thanks to Scotty.

Scotty do you still have the pin out diagram that we used?

However, I will say the harness from can am is $ 99 . but with the modification it works ...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by effgjamis View Post
    .....Scotty do you still have the pin out diagram that we used?.......
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=17705
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a trailer with a 4 pin plug and 12 volt lights. My dealer tells me I can't just add an adapter and use these lights or they will blow up my lighting system on my Spyder RT. Now what?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kcvers View Post
    I have a trailer with a 4 pin plug and 12 volt lights. My dealer tells me I can't just add an adapter and use these lights or they will blow up my lighting system on my Spyder RT. Now what?
    Change the lights on your trailer to LEDs, if they are not already, and add a second set of lights for turn signals then use the BRP bike wiring with the BRP trailer tongue harness to make an adapter for your trailer. That is the only way I have seen it done that works.

If you do a search on this forum you will find many post on this subject.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default After market trailer

Check out my picture on dogg8988. It is an after market trailer that works great. It's for Rusty. No problem with the wireing. With an adapter (about $20 ) just trace the wires from the lights under the rear tire and you would be ready to go. I have the adpter for the RT that I will sell for $65 if anyone is interested.

Spyder Garage

Yes it is possible, I pull to differnt trailers. I used some small connectors to clip on to the can-am wiring connector to get it to a normal six pin female connector. You need five (5) wires only, unless you want a back-up light. I am still looking for an out side source to buy the trailer side of the connector other than from BRP. (call me if you have a question 505-850-8483)
    Last edited by Tad Leslie; 06-05-2011 at 04:25 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tad Leslie View Post
    Yes it is possible, I pull to differnt trailers. I used some small connectors to clip on to the can-am wiring connector to get it to a normal six pin female connector. You need five (5) wires only, unless you want a back-up light. I am still looking for an out side source to buy the trailer side of the connector other than from BRP.
    Google "Deutsch connector" and you can find the parts. You will need the connector, the individual pins, plugs for the unused holes, and possibly the special crimping tool.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

What is the cost of the trailer wiring harness and where is the best place to get one?

I also have a trailer that I towed behind my gold wing and it has a flat four pin harness on it. I will gladly change out the harness witht the brp harness to make things simpler.

Thanks in advace

Be Safe
    AC
    2014 RT S SE-6 Cognac, 2014 Indian Chieftain. Retired Navy Chief

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by acinpcola View Post
    What is the cost of the trailer wiring harness and where is the best place to get one?

I also have a trailer that I towed behind my gold wing and it has a flat four pin harness on it. I will gladly change out the harness witht the brp harness to make things simpler.

Thanks in advace

Be Safe
    AC
    The 2010 Trailer Tongue Harness P/N 710002029 has an MSRP of $99.99. Available from any dealer or the Spyder online store. The 2011 Trailer Pole Harness P/N 710002442 serves the same function, but mmay be wired differently due to the lack of separate turn signals on the 2011 trailer. It also has a different connector and an MSRP of $115.99. Another alternative is to buy the Deutsch connector and pins separately from an online supplier.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Thanks Scotty

Be Safe
    AC
    2014 RT S SE-6 Cognac, 2014 Indian Chieftain. Retired Navy Chief