Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Lamont Going It Alone!

Very bad news. I had to back out of my trip to California with Lamont. I have acquired too many obligations and something had to give. I just couldn't get all of my ducks to line up. As much as I hated it, I had to give up the CA ride.

Lamont is a big boy and he can handle the ride alone (he's done it before) but that doesn't make it any easier. Riding together just makes for a much better (and safer) trip.

Parts of I-40 are closed because of the Mississippi river flooding and that dosn't help.

Sometimes life just doesn't go like you planned. Whatever support you can give Lamont is much appreciated.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

You can still get to Memphis via I-40 and connect to I-55 south or north.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear you couldn't go, Ron. You gotta take care of business, and I'm sure Lamont understands. How is your Spyder doing anyway? Last I heard you had tire issues due to a bad tie rod end. I was wondering what it looked like, what you saw on inspection and so on.

Lamont, I'm not sure if the nature of your trip is busines, pleasure or both, but if you find yourself up Nor-Cal way, we are here (as I suspect many others are as well, but I can only speak for myself!) that will be around should you need anything at all. In fact it would be really cool to meet you. Have a great trip and Ride safe Sir!
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You must be so disappointed. I was looking forward to hearing about your trip I bet it won't be quite as colorful without you.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Bummer Ron, I hate it when work interferes with play. It does make you appreciate the next trip that much more though.

Safe travels Lamont keep us updated

Jim
    Happy Spyder Owner

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Whatever support you can give Lamont is much appreciated.
    Lamont, from so many parts I'd stock for the G&G Rally (knowing that BRP will not provide the four of us with technical support after hours) call/email and I can overnight-it anywhere you are.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Very bad news. I had to back out of my trip to California with Lamont. I have acquired too many obligations and something had to give. I just couldn't get all of my ducks to line up. As much as I hated it, I had to give up the CA ride.

Lamont is a big boy and he can handle the ride alone (he's done it before) but that doesn't make it any easier. Riding together just makes for a much better (and safer) trip.

Parts of I-40 are closed because of the Mississippi river flooding and that dosn't help.

Sometimes life just doesn't go like you planned. Whatever support you can give Lamont is much appreciated.
    Yea first it was Guts and Glory and now you. To say I'm bummed about you backing out is an understatement. I just wish I knew this when we were in Cuba so I could have left from there and rode with some of the CA folks and I wouldn't have to deal with the floods. Hope you get your ducks in a row someday so we can make a plan and stick to it.

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    You can still get to Memphis via I-40 and connect to I-55 south or north.
    I still can't figure out where they are shutting down 40 but thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    Sorry to hear you couldn't go, Ron. You gotta take care of business, and I'm sure Lamont understands. How is your Spyder doing anyway? Last I heard you had tire issues due to a bad tie rod end. I was wondering what it looked like, what you saw on inspection and so on.

Lamont, I'm not sure if the nature of your trip is busines, pleasure or both, but if you find yourself up Nor-Cal way, we are here (as I suspect many others are as well, but I can only speak for myself!) that will be around should you need anything at all. In fact it would be really cool to meet you. Have a great trip and Ride safe Sir!
    My RS is sitting on the rack waiting for parts now because we robbed them so Ron would have it for our trip. Guess we didn't need to do that at all. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    You must be so disappointed. I was looking forward to hearing about your trip I bet it won't be quite as colorful without you.
    No it won't be near as much fun but riding by yourself has it's advantages.

Quote Originally Posted by jedd View Post
    Bummer Ron, I hate it when work interferes with play. It does make you appreciate the next trip that much more though.

Safe travels Lamont keep us updated

Jim
    Thanks Jim

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    Lamont, from so many parts I'd stock for the G&G Rally (knowing that BRP will not provide the four of us with technical support after hours) call/email and I can overnight-it anywhere you are.
    Thanks Bro, I hope I won't need anything but it's good to know you got my back.

I'll be checking in from time to time so you all have a good time.

Spyder Garage

I hate to hear you will be going it alone, however when I think of everyone I know your name comes to mind as being the most qualified for a solo trip.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post

I still can't figure out where they are shutting down 40 but thanks for the info.
    I-40 near the White river has crested and has flooded 23 miles of interstate road. It starts after you pass West Memphis in Arkansas and ends before you get to Little Rock and it has diverted traffic thru county roads because the state highways near it (particulary Hwy 71) is under water too. One of the busiest interstates in Arkansas... I know it because I occasionally have to go thru there for Texas.
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Lamont I-40 is shut down between Memphis and Little Rock around Brinkley Arkansas. Its a 100 Mile detoir and they are saying to add atleast an extra 2 hours to your commute.
    Happy SE5 Owner!!!

Silver/Black SE5 - Trunk Liner, 1" riser, 12v, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, 5" Kewlmetal Pullback Bars, Kewlmetal Console, Zumo 450, Ipod, Kewlmetal Highway brackets with Wing pegs, Triple Play, Wizard Light LED's, Corbin front/rear saddle with Backrest, Nelson Rigg CL950 Saddlebags with CL800 Tote Bag, CalSci Medium Windshield.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zzneonzz View Post
    Lamont I-40 is shut down between Memphis and Little Rock around Brinkley Arkansas. Its a 100 Mile detoir and they are saying to add atleast an extra 2 hours to your commute.
    Not only 100 miles of detour but going 45 MPH!!

Previously owned:

Spyder Garage

Ron backing out again

Sometimes taking care of business is just the way it is.
    Sorry to hear you have to ryde alone again Lamont

You can always make a detour and stop for a overnighter in MO. We have plenty of room
    "Happy Spyder Owner"
    2010 RTS PE 0174

Custom Plates & paint,
    ESI Triple play,mud flap lights,Fender tips/amber,Green Filter,Dayrunner/turn signals,Shortee Antenna,Scuff Guards,LED Brake Lights & 2 in 1 Harness,Brightsides & rear,Glo-ryders/amber,Kewlmetal inside trunk lightz,Garmin 660,Garmin Hood,Volt Meter & Oil Pressure Gauge,Utopia Backrest,IPS Key,ISCI Brake Pedal,Dual side/tall flag poles,SPYDERPOPS Heat Guard

http://www.farriscustoms.com

GOS Founding Member (Girls On Spyders)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    Not only 100 miles of detour but going 45 MPH!!
    Lamont
    Especially now that you're going it alone, let me know when you come through on that 100 mile detour on Hwy 64 . The end of 64 is 10 minutes from my house. Like I messaged you, I'll treat you to a meal or you can hang at the house for a bit. I know you may want to make good time while you're fresh, but feel free to call even if you're taking a short break!

Spyder Garage

Ron, sorry that you won't be making the trip, but sometimes busines comes first.

Lamont, have a safe trip, we will pray for you that all goes well. Keep all of us posted

Spyder Garage

I ran over 20,000 miles on my front tires with very little wear. What wear they had was very uniform. At around 18,000 miles I did get a bit of 'out of balance' cupping on my right front (very hard to see in the early stages) but I look closely at my tire wear fairly often. Tires can give you early warning about suspension problems and other issues.

I put Ride-On in my front tires (already had it in the rear) and the cupping went away. If you catch these things early enough you can save the tire.

Tires can go away in a hurry if there is an alignment problem and I started to get some pretty good wear on the inside portion of the right front. It had to be alignment (too much toe out) and seemed to begin about the time I had the DPS replaced (around 20,000 miles). I coudln't be sure but it was convenient to blame the DPS changeout.

But as I looked into the DPS possibility, I could see no way for a DPS swap to cause an alignment issue. So Lamont and I decided to give my Spyder an alignment before going to CA. When lifted my Spyder we found quite a bit of slop in the wheel, like a bad wheel bearing.

We were were about to inspect the wheel bearing when Lamont said something about the tie rod end. BINGO! The slop was all in the tie rod end. Wheel bearing was fine.

You can't buy just the tie rod end. You have to buy the entire tie rod with both ends attached, over $100.00. Our semi-local shop did not have one in stock so we ordered 4 (2 for me and 2 for Lamont). Then we jacked up Lamont's RS and stole the tie rod off of his. Now that is a first! Using Lamont's ride for a parts bike for my ride made my day!

The swap was a piece of cake. The whole operation took about 30 minutes. Eye to Eye was exactly the same so my alignment issues should be resolved.

I doubt I can save that right front tire now. It's too far gone. I'll get 2 new fronts, put a new tie rod on (the one I stole from Lamont has over 50,000 miles on it) and get an alignment.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the follow up on this, Ron. Very informative. It kind of reminded me of my situation, which is why I was so interested in the tie rod end. I too thought at first it had something to do with the DPS replacement but came to the same conclusion you did that the DPS replacement was not the cause. I Just think my alignment was off from the very beginning (well that and the fact that I burned the first set of tires down!). The new set of stocks went on on 9 March and I have 3,000 miles on them now and they look very good so it would appear the alignment that was done after the new set went on did the trick. However, that being said I think I will pay more attention to the steering links, tie rods etc than I have been just as a "best practice" measure.

This flooding situation is going to make travel a bit tricky, man. I have heard that they don't even expect the river to crest until tomorrow; something to the tune of 16,000,000 gallons a second flowing. Just crazy. If it were me and I had to travel West through that area I might consider mapping out a different route if at all possible. My heart goes out to all those affected by this.
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

Be safe Lamont.
    Wheeler~ Spyder rydin' tyre syde down!

2013 Spyder RTS SE5
    [CENTER]Respect is common ground we all can share![CENTER]

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I... and I started to get some pretty good wear on the inside portion of the right front.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=26278
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the follow up on this, Ron. Very informative. It kind of reminded me of my situation, which is why I was so interested in the tie rod end. I too thought at first it had something to do with the DPS replacement but came to the same conclusion you did that the DPS replacement was not the cause. I Just think my alignment was off from the very beginning (well that and the fact that I burned the first set of tires down!). The new set of stocks went on on 9 March and I have 3,000 miles on them now and they look very good so it would appear the alignment that was done after the new set went on did the trick. However, that being said I think I will pay more attention to the steering links, tie rods etc than I have been just as a "best practice" measure.

This flooding situation is going to make travel a bit tricky, man. I have heard that they don't even expect the river to crest until tomorrow; something to the tune of 16,000,000 gallons a second flowing. Just crazy. If it were me and I had to travel West through that area I might consider mapping out a different route if at all possible. My heart goes out to all those affected by this.
    In good light, if you stand over your front tire and look straight down the front tread, you can visually compare each rain groove. They should be the same depth. You can also see if there is any cupping or wavy wear pattern.

If the tire is wearing unevenly across the tread it indicates alignment problems. If it is wearing on the inside of the tire that is too much toe out, wear on the outside means too much toe in. If you find wavy wear that indicates out of balance issues. You can also run your hand down the tire and feel wavy wear.

You can get uneven wear from very hard riding but it take quite a bit of that to give you a poor wear pattern. I've heard some say they got this diagnosis from their dealer but my feeling is that is a cop-out. In almost every case, poor tire wear it's going to be an alignment issue.

I would sill like to develop a good alignment method so I can check that myself.

Spyder Garage

That is interesting Doc. 38% say they've had right tire, inner edge wear. Exactly what my issue is and by far the biggest wear issue.

I wonder why that would be? Right turns are more stressing than left turns and the left tire takes the load in a right hand turn. The tie rod ends are the same (left and right sides). So are we having that many right hand, outer tie rod failures?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I ran over 20,000 miles on my front tires with very little wear. What wear they had was very uniform. At around 18,000 miles I did get a bit of 'out of balance' cupping on my right front (very hard to see in the early stages) but I look closely at my tire wear fairly often. Tires can give you early warning about suspension problems and other issues.

I put Ride-On in my front tires (already had it in the rear) and the cupping went away. If you catch these things early enough you can save the tire.

Tires can go away in a hurry if there is an alignment problem and I started to get some pretty good wear on the inside portion of the right front. It had to be alignment (too much toe out) and seemed to begin about the time I had the DPS replaced (around 20,000 miles). I coudln't be sure but it was convenient to blame the DPS changeout.

But as I looked into the DPS possibility, I could see no way for a DPS swap to cause an alignment issue. So Lamont and I decided to give my Spyder an alignment before going to CA. When lifted my Spyder we found quite a bit of slop in the wheel, like a bad wheel bearing.

We were were about to inspect the wheel bearing when Lamont said something about the tie rod end. BINGO! The slop was all in the tie rod end. Wheel bearing was fine.

You can't buy just the tie rod end. You have to buy the entire tie rod with both ends attached, over $100.00. Our semi-local shop did not have one in stock so we ordered 4 (2 for me and 2 for Lamont). Then we jacked up Lamont's RS and stole the tie rod off of his. Now that is a first! Using Lamont's ride for a parts bike for my ride made my day!

The swap was a piece of cake. The whole operation took about 30 minutes. Eye to Eye was exactly the same so my alignment issues should be resolved.

I doubt I can save that right front tire now. It's too far gone. I'll get 2 new fronts, put a new tie rod on (the one I stole from Lamont has over 50,000 miles on it) and get an alignment.
    wonder how long it will take you to get them from Lamont.you know UPS ships over there

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by b2k View Post
    wonder how long it will take you to get them from Lamont.you know UPS ships over there
    Should not be a problem. These are delivering to East Tennessee ATV. With Lamont out of town I should have no problem getting them.

Spyder Garage

Made it to Shawnee OK. Man did I see some serious weather damage getting here.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like your out of the woods as far as flood worries, correct? In any case, ride safe bro.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Made it to Shawnee OK. Man did I see some serious weather damage getting here.
    Glad to hear from you. Went by the house to see if Chris had heard anything (and to get the Glo-Rider I forgot to replace when we swapped tie rods).

She said you were negotiating the detour. How did it all go?