Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Those fobs are pretty cheap. A few bucks each. "Disposable" as most people don't return them. Extra charges are ways to make money or cover the system cost.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default RIP OFF!!

I like to be kissed before getting SCREWED ! Way too much for a simple process.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You are far more polite than I would be in that situation...

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I would prefer not to have to use the key at all except to unlock the cargo areas. I really liked the way my 2007 HD Ultra Classic worked. If your key fob was within 6' of the bike pressing the start button starts the engine. Simple. Just keep your key fob in your pocket and no more issues with forgetting to take the key out, fumbling for the key or trying to get key back in its holster.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Y Rider View Post
    I would prefer not to have to use the key at all except to unlock the cargo areas. I really liked the way my 2007 HD Ultra Classic worked. If your key fob was within 6' of the bike pressing the start button starts the engine. Simple. Just keep your key fob in your pocket and no more issues with forgetting to take the key out, fumbling for the key or trying to get key back in its holster.
    Three of our Ducati's are like that, too - except the key fob has to be a bit closer than that. At 6', you could, theoretically, start your bike with key laying on the work bench and then be in big trouble when you need to gas up (or stop/start) later in the ride! We ended up springing for automatic gas tank lids, too, so we don't have to fish for the key in a pocket when we get to the gas station.

Spyder Garage

I use Lamonsters IPS for my Spyder key and because of the shape of the trailer, it won't work to lock/unlock the trailer.

Thanks to this forum and a local locksmith, I was able to get a couple of non-chipped keys made for $12. They work great for locking the rear bags of the RT and the trailer!

Spyder Garage

I just ordered 2 keys with 2 holders all for $101.00 the dealer said he won't charge me to program them just have to take them to get cut...

Diggittt
    Full Moon #1176

Talon Alarm
    Trunk Spring
    Power Bus
    H.I.D. Headlights
    Kuryakyn ISO Grips
    NMN Highway Brackets
    Kuryakan Highway Pegs
    Two Brothers Dual Exhaust
    BRP Sports Rack & Back Rest
    LED Fender Tips
    Ride-On
    BRP Tank Bag
    H.I.D. Fog Lights
    Sirius Satellite Radio
    GlowRyder L.E.D. W/Remote
    TricLed Fender Lights

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I could find you a key cut from factory with your vin# and go to Elmhurst Locksmith with and have them program which is a less coslty atternative you if interested.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Diggittt View Post
    I just ordered 2 keys with 2 holders all for $101.00 the dealer said he won't charge me to program them just have to take them to get cut...

Diggittt
    Ya then the locksmith charges you too.... If you have a working oem key just find tbe cheap aprilla spares & have them cloned. Unless you have to have that can-am no keyring style

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bone crusher View Post
    Not an unreasonable price...if you lose some key fobs these days, they can run you up to $300.00.

$133 for the Spyder key isn't all that bad...cheaper is better, obviously...
    I agree. It's unfortunate, but this whole programmed key nonsense has gotten way out of hand. And it's created nightmares with cost, and even reliability.
    I don't think the dealer is way off base. Lose a VW key and it will cost $500 to get it replaced.

Another option is to get your key cloned.
    By reprogramming the keys, you have key no 1 and key no 2 accepted by the spyder.

If you get the key cloned at a locksmith, or even a hardware store, you will have two copies of key no 1.

The ability to clone keys makes this security of electronic keys a travesty. The only function of the electronic keys seems to be that it leads to reliability problems with the DESS module.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I lost my truck key and payed around 275 for a replacement, Then found it soon afterward. But it has remote start, panic alarm, door locks/unlocks.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dub-D View Post
    I bought my Spyder used last year and the owner could not locate the spare key. I figured I'd inquire at my local shop today as to how much a new key would cost. The key itself is $35 and 1 hour labor at $98 to program the key. They seemed a little surprised that I was surprised a key could cost $133. That's plain ridiculous.

Try a BMW or Mercedes. Replacement is twice that.

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

$400; for a new key that'll fit our RAV4...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default HUH!

Quote Originally Posted by Dub-D View Post
    Talked to second dealership. They are charging $32 for the key and $30 if its the master key, and $100 if its not to program it. I ask how do I know if its the master key and they said I would not be able to. They would know when they start the programming process.
    So you have to wait until they are doing it before they can tell you if you're going to pay $62.00 or $132.00? These thieves are as bad as the first ones.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Sounds like urban legend

Quote Originally Posted by jimcrom View Post
    I was talking to a guy who repossess cars and trucks and he said that the banks would get an extra copy of the key in case they ever have to reposess the vehicle. Does anyone know if that is true? If true, there could be another avenue for a key.
    That sounds a dodgey to me. What bank wants the hassle of keeping track of thousands of keys "just in case".
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Many shops are going to charge 1 hr minimum for anything. My house water filter company wants $115 for the first 15 minutes.

I once lost the remote/key to my VW. It was close to $400 to replace so I ended up just using the valet key until I traded the car in.
    A quick Google search shows they are slightly cheaper, $300-330, but still not cheap.

Hopefully got a good deal on the Spyder to make up for it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dariosmith View Post
    I could find you a key cut from factory with your vin# and go to Elmhurst Locksmith with and have them program which is a less coslty atternative you if interested.
    Since the original post was from 2011 the system on that bike could use a cloned key. However the original BRP keys were already programmed from the factory. To add an extra key required that the key be cut to fit the ignition and then added to security module of the bike. Adding a key overwrites the previous listing so all keys that are to be used with the bike must be run through the process anytime a new key is added.

For 2014 and newer Can Am is using a different type of chip that can't be cloned so those folks are stuck with using BRP keys. They can add more keys to their system though and it uses the BUDS system to add them rather than a programming key.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

I hoping someone pointed out that this is def a dealer issue not BRP... that being said my Benz key is 600 dollars so I still only have one.
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Was told that if I lose the key for the rental Chrysler 300 that it would cost $450 for a replacement.

Even though the above post started in 2011--the situation has not seemed to change much. Shop around and take your key for a trip.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Was told that if I lose the key for the rental Chrysler 300 that it would cost $450 for a replacement.

Even though the above post started in 2011--the situation has not seemed to change much. Shop around and take your key for a trip.
    THX I really need to look for that important info more often

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Keys

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
    Since the original post was from 2011 the system on that bike could use a cloned key. However the original BRP keys were already programmed from the factory. To add an extra key required that the key be cut to fit the ignition and then added to security module of the bike. Adding a key overwrites the previous listing so all keys that are to be used with the bike must be run through the process anytime a new key is added.

For 2014 and newer Can Am is using a different type of chip that can't be cloned so those folks are stuck with using BRP keys. They can add more keys to their system though and it uses the BUDS system to add them rather than a programming key.
    I have just bought spyder 2015 Keys from 2wheelpros.com for $46 a piece. I will still have to get them cut and programed but dealer wanted $130 with tax's.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jimcrom View Post
    I was talking to a guy who repossess cars and trucks and he said that the banks would get an extra copy of the key in case they ever have to reposess the vehicle. Does anyone know if that is true? If true, there could be another avenue for a key.
    I've been in automotive financing for 20 years. Only a handful of very bottom of the barrel banks ever asked for a key. The last few years it's been the little GPS unit, miss a payment and ole Betsy won't start !

Some automotive keys are between 400 and 500 to replace....
    " Fat people are harder to kidnap "

2015 RTS-SE6 Circuit Yellow
    Akrapovic Exhaust - BajaRon Sway bar
    Rivco rear Trunk Rack
    Lamonster LED Head Lights - LED Fog Lights
    Spyder Cuff - Hwy Pegs
    Ultimate Midrider Seat w/ Yellow Trim - Rear Armrests
    Spyderpops Bumpskid with LED - Full view Turn Signal
    R/T Front grill Inserts
    3rd Brake light - Saddle bad LED
    Baker Built Air Wings
    Doc's Spring Stiffeners - Vibration Dampener
    TRICLED underground LED'S

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just bought a 2012 RSS, and the owner only had one key. To purchase a new key from the dealer was $53, and to get it programmed was another $25. After programming the key, I left the dealership, and the original key would not start the bike. I went back, they reprogrammed my original, and I am good to go.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Go get a replacement key for any new vehicle that is chipped at a dealer. That is cheaper than what it just cost for a Chevy. Be thankful it wasn't more. How much simpler life is now with all this technology? Some, perhaps, but it certainly comes at a cost!
    Current: 2016 F3T Pure Magnesium
    Past: 2009 GS Phantom decked out in Transformers Decepticon badging, HMF Exhaust, HMF EFI Controller, K&N air filter, LED lighting

Spyder Garage

Default it's a rip off like everyone else!

I inquired about a spare key fob and key for my Dodge pickup. It was going to be $250.00 People wonder why our economy sucks.