Spyder Garage

Default Frunk Power Port

I just picked up a power port for the frunk of my . As I read the directions I was made ill by the fact that you must strip down the front end to parade rest to install the port. It also suggested that you get a dealer to install it for you. So anyone out there on an RT that has installed a frunk power port? Am wondering if I should take it to a dealer or just do it myself . All opinions are appreciated.

Be Safe
    AC
    2014 RT S SE-6 Cognac, 2014 Indian Chieftain. Retired Navy Chief

Spyder Garage

Wink

I decided to not install the power unit. But I wanted to say...

For at least eight months I forced myself to not take the Frunk off as just taking the sides off made me worry as to how much effort it will take in the front end.

Well I am here to tell you that is is not as bad as I worried it would be. Yes there is a lot to it, but the only hard part was removing the mirrors. I can now remove the front end in about an hour. I mean all of it. Every panel and the tub (Frunk) itself.

Now this is with me listening to music, lots of elbow room, some coffee and letting the pups in and out as they try to get closer to me in the yard or the house (poor pups)...

The first time I took it apart it took two hours because I was being so careful, and for the love of God are there a lot of those darn little plastic snap thingies on the front end.. I lost count, but I think their are eight on each side. And in places you cannot see unless you have a flashlight and on your knees or back. I mean they are everywhere....

Keep in mind I used to build Jeeps for fun ($40,000 budget most of the time), some for sand, some for rock crawling, others to bring back from the dead and get them back to their original glory (Military Jeeps). And I can rebuild most engines. So I have a fair amount of shade-tree mechanic skills. I pretty much need none of them and only a handful of basic tools to get the job done.

Anyway. I am telling you this as a way to be of help. I do not think this is something we need to pay 2 hours of labor to the dealer for (Assuming this would be the case). But it is worth doing on your own if you like working with your hands.

If you are not a hand type person, then I would suggest the dealer doing this and the Stebel Air Horn at the same time to make the labor cost more effective

Just be warned... Once you have removed the Frunk, all of the sudden those other projects (Horn or lights) no longer have the excuse or fear of the frunk removal to stop you

Good luck!
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your input, I just may give it the ole retired guy try and to make it worth it I will get my airhorn to install at the same time.

Be Safe
    AC
    2014 RT S SE-6 Cognac, 2014 Indian Chieftain. Retired Navy Chief

Spyder Garage

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by acinpcola View Post
    Thanks for your input, I just may give it the ole retired guy try and to make it worth it I will get my airhorn to install at the same time.

Be Safe
    AC
    I am glad I was a little bit of a help. One more tip...

When doing the Horn have a handful of Stainless Steel brackets on hand to find the one that will bend or fit best (I use one from an old u-bolt clamp about 1 1/2") and only remove the two top (One front one rear) closest bolts to the Frunk on the Fog Light (If you have them). This allows the Fog Light to still be mounted to the Spyder, (Each fog light has four bolts holding it on) but swing away and expose the Horn for full access.
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.