arntufun

Default Anyone Have A Kindle ???

My wifes birthday is coming up soon and for her trouble of putting up with me, I think I'm going to get her a Kindle. She loves to read (I think it's boring and a waste of time) and I have seen her check these out on the internet and has mentioned she would love to get one.

I need to learn about these so I do not get her the wrong one. On ebay there are many different models of these for example,
    Kindle 2 wi-fi
    Kindle 2 3G
    ECT... ECT....

Which Kindle is the latest version ?
    What is the difference between models ?
    How do you load books ?
    How much $ per book to download ?
    How do you like it ?
    How do you justify paying for a book rather than going to the library and getting a paperback for free ?
    What other info should I know need before I purchase one ?

I trust Spyderlovers opinions so I'm coming to you for info on this product. Thanks for your help in making her special day special, because I get in trouble alot because of my antics throughout the year.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Get her one!

She has mentioned it, looked at it on-line and loves to read ...those are three BIG indicators that she REALLY wants one. You should get one for her. (That's how I got mine)

I suggest you should take some time to go on Amazon and read their info on it - it will help a lot.

You/She downloads books from Amazon Kindle store( you do that directly from the kindle or you can do it from a computer, the kindle has to be on) , prices vary, but generally are around 6.00 -10.00 per book(basically the same price as in the stores for paperbacks, BUT without the stacks of them sitting around the house!). It also has games and there are many books that are free as well as less than the above mentioned prices. She can also have subscriptions to magazines and newspapers ( no more recycling stacks sitting around!)

As for 3g vs wifi, the 3g works like the cell phones - anywhere you can get your cell phone working the Kindle will work to download. Once you download, the book is on your kindle until you delete it and even then I think you can retrieve it from Amazon. I have the 3G because I don't want to surf the web on the kindle - just read. You don't have to be on the Whispernet network to read the books, only for downloading them.

OH .. She will need a cover - I suggest the ones with the built in lights.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a Kindle and I love it. I'm not sure which model it is other than it is the second one they came out with. You can get a good write up of the models at Amazon.com.

To order books you establish an Amazon.com account online. You can either order them directly from your Kindle or from your computer. I like to shop for them on the computer. They are downloaded in minutes to your device. Most new releases are $9.99 to $13.99 but there are also many books available for free.

The Kindle holds a charge for weeks as the only power it uses is a tiny flash each time you turn the page. You can read it anywhere even in bright sunlight. They weigh almost nothing.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderRyder2B View Post
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][B]
    OH .. She will need a cover - I suggest the ones with the built in lights.
    Definitely get her a cover. I don't have a light on mine but that sounds pretty cool. Be prepared to shell out a few bucks for the cover.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Justification

I justify the Kindle this way:
    1: I wanted one
    2. I really like technology
    3. No more stacks of books sitting around
    4. The library doesn't have all my favorites
    5. You have to read library books by a certain date....and return the book
    6. I've paid as much in late fines
    8. It travels well on the Spyder (no I don't read while ryding - that's not safe)
    7. I wanted one!

I currently have the Kindle2 3G with the lighted leather cover.
    Off to read!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default one more thing...

If your wife has broken a cell phone by dropping it , you might want the extended warranty. I do not have one, but got one for our daughter's Kindle - she takes it to work, etc. and did in fact break one. Amazon replaced it right away. Mine stays home and occasionally goes on vacation, so I didn't need the extended warranty.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Love mine. I read a lot of books that are in a series, so when I finish one, it is nice to instantly be able to download the next. The wifi is nice, but a pure luxury, the 3g downloads reasonably quick and if your on the road you will probably be downloading with 3g anyway. I use mine less now because of my ipad, the kindle app was free and I like the lighted screen.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Yep get her one...

I got my Kindle because I am a rabid reader and can't pack "extra" books on MsSpyder when I travel. As others have mentioned...the cover became a must for me (yep mine has the lite and LOVE IT)..I actually was going to send my Kindle back to Amazon as I did not like..hard to hang onto..salesgal at Amazon suggested I try the leather cover before sending back...did and my Kindle is my traveling must.
    As far as book costs: Anywhere from free to ??...I have found 5 others who read similar and we share our books/account...reallly drops the per book price...
    Kindle gets a Husband getting Kindle for wife gets a

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You can also download free books from Amazon.com just go to kindle books and bestseller and there are 100 free book downloads I read them all the time.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Default i love my kindle

Definatey buy the kindle. .3 G---i love mine

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I prefer Kobo, and after using the Kobo for over a year I now also use Kobo on my Playbook.

When I buy a book, I like to own it, and Amazon with an Oops, can remove books from the Kindle and then you have to ask for your money back.

If they would send you a note and give you your money back BEFORE pulling a book, but their history is, pull the book, when you call its, oops yes we removed it, we will credit you. That is called renting not owning.

My wife had a Kindle, they did it once and know she uses Kobo.

Spyder Garage

Depending on your budget, you might consider an Ipad. I have both, got the Kindle before the Ipad came out. Now I use my Ipad exclusively. I like that with the Ipad, I can download books (in color and lighted if desired) but I can also take my Ipad with me when traveling and use the navigation app, check emails, check weather conditions, and surf the internet, all with one device.

Just a thought

Dee
    2018 RT Limited , Champange with black and pink strips

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

What a great gift! I say go for it! Bought the Kindle for my husband. As it turns out, we both love it!!! I purchased it from Amazon. I found they were the best price at the time I was looking. I got the Wi-Fi version. BEST DECISION!!! I opened an account with Amazon and now when we travel he can download books or magazines from wherever he is! No computer necessary! It's great! As a matter of fact, after the Kindle was delivered I never opened the box because it was a gift and I didn't want my husband to see it was delivered, so I hid the unopened box in the closet. Later that night I got onto my computer and decided to order some books and magazines through Amazon for him. Imagine my surprise when I finally opened the Kindle box and found that the books and magazines had already downloaded inside the box without it even being opened!!! I guess the Kindle was automatically registered when I purchased it and opened the Amazon account so the downloads knew where to be sent! I think the best thing he loves about the Kindle is that no matter where we go he can carry his one small Kindle and have all of his magazines, books, crossword puzzles, dictionary and internet browsing! (although the internet browsing is limited or experimental) Also another great feature is that later in 2011 you will be able to visit your local library through the Kindle and check out any book you want! It's called Kindle Book Lending. That answers your question about your local library. The other great thing for us since we live at the beach, is that reading it out there in the bright sunlight is no problem. (unlike my I-Pad) Anyway, I say go for it and go for the Wi-Fi version if you think she will want to download anything directly from the Kindle itself. As far as the models, I know there are different sizes also so it is a matter of preference but Amazon explains all of the models in detail. Good luck! Hope she treats you extra special after her gift!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

my wife andI both enjoy ours. Get her the latest and the best, you will not be sorry, there are thousands of books for free I had mine for two years and I think spent, maybe 10.00 I read apron two books a week. I just got the complete works of Jules Vern for free thirty-eight books.

Hawk Eye

Spyder Garage

I travel and read a lot. I had one of te 1st generation Kindles and the Kindle 2. I've also had the 1st generation Nook and now the newest non-color Nook. I've avoided the no-name readers and Sony because they don't have a good store plan for book purchases. Color screens defeat the purpose- hard in the eyes so I never use my phone or iPad for reading.

Wireless and 3G- 3G is nice to have but not necessary if you have wireless at home. On the road I pre load a few books or borrow wireless from a coffee shop or hotel. 3G just eats battery life too.

Do not go for one of the ad sponsored readers. They are a few bucks cheaper but the Ads are for life. I've had 2 kindles konk out on me- I am rough on my readers and Amazon replaced both without issue.

So my favorite- the new Little Nook. The screen is great in size, super light and compact form, amazing battery life and great function. Barnes and Nobel offers a huge selection of books at ok prices- sometimes cheaper, sometimes more than Amazon.

Hope I gave you some things to think about. In short you cant go wrong with any book store backed ereader- enjoy it!

Spyder Garage

I have a Nook and love it. Going to be getting my husband one as he really like mine . Neither one of us were impressed with the kindle and how it works.

Just my .02 worth

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Love my Kindle. I'm an avid reader and it fits perfectly in my vest inner pocket. Like that I can set the size of the letters to fit my aging eyes.

I love mystery's and seldom pay more than .99 for a book.

arntufun

Thank you all so much for helping me learn a little about the Kindle. I know this will make her very happy and I'm sure she will love it. I was thinking of getting her a new toaster but I think she will like this alot better.

She better remember I want a juice box pro for my Spyder when it comes around to my special day !!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    Thank you all so much for helping me learn a little about the Kindle. I know this will make her very happy and I'm sure she will love it. I was thinking of getting her a new toaster but I think she will like this alot better.

She better remember I want a juice box pro for my Spyder when it comes around to my special day !!!
    to get the juicebox pro Just use the same tactics - talk about it... look at it on-line...., bookmark the page..., OH, wait.. I know - see if you can download a Kindle book about the juicebox pro!

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderRyder2B View Post
    to get the juicebox pro Just use the same tactics - talk about it... look at it on-line...., bookmark the page..., OH, wait.. I know - see if you can download a Kindle book about the juicebox pro!

Great idea !!! Can't you get me a Kindle on the street down there in NYC from a guy with a trench coat on for $50.00 ???

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default trench coats...

I cross to the other side when I see people in trench coats with products that "fell" off the truck. Never was good at bartering.

Let us know which reader you get and how your wife reacts. Bet you get that juice box pro in no time!