Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: what exhaust?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    Perhaps they are going to partner with PC for the fuel pack? I know when I ran a V&H on my GSX-R 750 the only decent option at the time was Dynajet Kits. Things have changed a ton since 1986, but sometimes it is still easier to partner with someone that to create something from scratch.
    Fuelpak and throttlepak are both made by V&H, all in-house designed and manufactured by themselves so buying pc for spyder doesn't make sence to me. may be V&H does not feel market is big enough for it, for their time and effort.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aka1004 View Post
    Fuelpak and throttlepak are both made by V&H, all in-house designed and manufactured by themselves so buying pc for spyder doesn't make sence to me. may be V&H does not feel market is not big enough for it, time and effort.
    That could very well be, as when I first sent them an email asking if they were going to make an exhaust for the Spyder they were quick with a reply saying no. That was nearly a year ago, and now they are making one so who knows what else will eventually change.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Default Exhaust question

Forgive my ignorance, but as a brand spanking new 2011 RT-S owner I really don't know the answer to this question: Does putting an aftermarket exhaust system on your machine affect your warranty at all? Do you need to reprogram anything in the electronics?
    Thanks,
    Tadgh45

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    Just found this thread! Oh man, I so miss the breathy, throaty, Barry White rumble on my Springer's V&H Shortshots!

Thank you mdr for pioneering the way!

Short of putting the Harley V-Twin in your Spyder you will never get that sound. There are some awesome sounding alternatives, but as others have said, the bore/stroke combination is completely different and won't produce that sound no matter how hard you try.
    Old Spyder Mods:
    No Magic Neon Triple Play II, Leo Vince SBK Exhaust, MMG Backrest, BRP Seat Skin, XOPRODOX Grips & Throttle Rocker, Paint By Tallant's Hot Rods, Kewl Metal Air Filter, Juice Box, Evoluzione O2 Mod, DEI Titanium Exhaust Wrap, Ride Wright Mojo Wheels and Pulley, Custom Handlebars, Relocated Ignition Switch, Madstad Robo Brackets, Evoluzione Swaybar, RT Shocks/Springs, Toyo R1R, Odyssey Battery, Lowered Shock Mount, SFB Floorboards, Fenderless w/ Custom License Bracket.

Spyder Garage

i got this one from esi and it sounds gooood,but a little loud like a 57 cheve with a 34 cam and open headers ,noe thats cool.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tadgh45 View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but as a brand spanking new 2011 RT-S owner I really don't know the answer to this question: Does putting an aftermarket exhaust system on your machine affect your warranty at all? Do you need to reprogram anything in the electronics?
    Thanks,
    Tadgh45
    An aftermarket exhaust will not void your warranty. The ECM can compensate for the free flowing exhaust without a problem, but when you start doing other things like free flow air filters and such it may not be able to keep up. That is when people start using the Power Commander or Juice Box set ups. The only issue you have with your RT is the choices are quite a bit more limited than they are for those of us with the RS.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Watch you don't run afoul of new noise laws - non-stock exhaust is a major ticket on the left coast….
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default V and H

I picked up my Spyder from V and H today. They had it for about a month, which was fine because I have been traveling out of state and wasn't able to ryde. Unfortunately they weren't willing to let me keep or post a picture of the prototype on the Spyder--bummer. However, they did let me see a picture of their pipe on a Spyder and I can tell you that it looks really good. It's a single pipe that flows with the lines of the Spyder. Production should start in Sept./Oct., and as soon as the first one is ready I'll ride over, they will put it on, and I'll post pics. I sent an e-mail to the tech and hopefully he will share the dyno results with me. I rode a Harley before buying the Spyder, and I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing the final product!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SSG Bean View Post
    Short of putting the Harley V-Twin in your Spyder you will never get that sound. There are some awesome sounding alternatives, but as others have said, the bore/stroke combination is completely different and won't produce that sound no matter how hard you try.
    Of course Spydee does not have "potato. potato, potato" in her vocabulary. Never will. Its the nature of the beast. Running Two Bros. Duals right now. They are close, but no cigar.

Quote Originally Posted by mdr View Post
    I picked up my Spyder from V and H today. They had it for about a month, which was fine because I have been traveling out of state and wasn't able to ryde. Unfortunately they weren't willing to let me keep or post a picture of the prototype on the Spyder--bummer. However, they did let me see a picture of their pipe on a Spyder and I can tell you that it looks really good. It's a single pipe that flows with the lines of the Spyder. Production should start in Sept./Oct., and as soon as the first one is ready I'll ride over, they will put it on, and I'll post pics. I sent an e-mail to the tech and hopefully he will share the dyno results with me. I rode a Harley before buying the Spyder, and I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing the final product!
    So is it a two into one?
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Are they in production yet?
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Bad news from V and H

I spoke with the folks from V and H today and they "decided to kill the spyder exhaust project." They didn't provide the reason(s), but I was really looking forward to a V and H pipe on my Spyder. The customer rep told me he would honor their agreement to give me a free pipe, and told me I could pick from their catalogue (posted below). Since I sold my Harley and only have the Spyder, I'll pick a pipe and put it up for sale or work out something with a spyderlover who needs a pipe for a different bike and wants to pay or trade. I'll post in the WTB section as well. Sorry to share the crappy news.

http://www.vanceandhines.com/index.php

Spyder Garage

hello did anyone have to retune when you put on the slip on exhaust or do u need to have a new tune when you put a exhaust n air filter i was told if i put just exhaust a slip on the dealer said i would need a need a retune so which is it my other bike needed a retune after i put the air filter n jardine system but ran fine with just the exhaust help please .....kb
    Last edited by spyderman526; 11-01-2011 at 04:14 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mdr View Post
    I spoke with the folks from V and H today and they "decided to kill the spyder exhaust project." They didn't provide the reason(s), but I was really looking forward to a V and H pipe on my Spyder. The customer rep told me he would honor their agreement to give me a free pipe, and told me I could pick from their catalogue (posted below). Since I sold my Harley and only have the Spyder, I'll pick a pipe and put it up for sale or work out something with a spyderlover who needs a pipe for a different bike and wants to pay or trade. I'll post in the WTB section as well. Sorry to share the crappy news.

http://www.vanceandhines.com/index.php
    Thanks for the update. I am very sorry to hear they scrapped the project as well. It would be very interesting to know what their reasons were for doing so, but it doesn't look like they are willing to share that.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderman526 View Post
    hello did anyone have to retune when you put on the slip on exhaust or do u need to have a new tune when you put a exhaust n air filter i was told if i put just exhaust a slip on the dealer said i would need a need a retune so which is it my other bike needed a retune after i put the air filter n jardine system but ran fine with just the exhaust help please .....kb
    If you just put a slip on exhaust on, you should not need to make any changes to the Spyder. The ECM has enough play to normally compensate for that change. If you put a different air filter and a slip on exhaust on it, then you will likely need to do something else for best performance. On my Spyder I am running a K&N air filter in the stock air box and the Hindle exhaust, and the Evoluzione O2 Modifier was the only other change I needed to get great performance from it. Others have used the Juice Box, or similar setup, to help get them where they wanted to be. The Spyder runs close to lean from the factory, and each of these changes leans it out some more. That is why you need to get more fuel into the system if you do both changes together.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

There are a few owners on here that fabricated their own exhaust systems. They sounded pretty darn good as well, but not the same sound your Harley used to make.

Thanks for this information as well. I sent Vance & Hines an email message several months ago asking if they were going to develop a can for the Spyder and they said no. I will be very interested to see what they come up with as I have always liked their products.
    Oh no you don't!!! I remember the LAST one you got. If you do that then you'll ride in back ALL the time. LOL

My better half and the best dad ever!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Love2Ride View Post
    Oh no you don't!!! I remember the LAST one you got. If you do that then you'll ride in back ALL the time. LOL
    Unfortunately, they decided not to go forward with making a can for the Spyder. You, your dad, and the woods, are probably safer for that.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Unfortunately, they decided not to go forward with making a can for the Spyder. You, your dad, and the woods, are probably safer for that.

Er, I mean, Oh dear, isn't that too bad. You have to admit, Love, that the wildlife is so much nicer looking without shell shock.

My better half and the best dad ever!!