Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    You have done well in capturing Alaksa with your pictures and blog. It has been exciting watching your progress on the trip.
    It was great meeting you! The Eklutna Lake was beautiful and the cemetary neat! Thanks for showing us around.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    HOW DID WE LET THIS THREAD FALL TO PAGE 3!!!! Lamont - should we add it to the Blog section? The "to be continued" bits keep us on edge!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Cat View Post
    BUMP
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyg View Post
    Keeping it on the top thread----Waiting for Yazz to report in !jc
    Hi y'all! Thanks for you patience and the bumps!
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Default Palmer and Eagle Creek, Alaska.

Friday, Hubby and I went out for lunch and a tour of the local scenery with akspyderman.

Linda Bartholomew, Dwayne Lee (akspyderman) and me.

We went up a winding road to Eklutna Lake. The unique blue in the lake is caused by glacial silt.

After that we went to Eklutna Historical Park.
    http://www.travelalaska.com/Destinat...s/Eklutna.aspx

St. Nicholas Orthodox Church. Its still an active church.

Spirit house cemetary.

After coming home from a very inspiring ride, we met more of our family up here. Great people!
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The Spirit House Cemetary looks very interesting. What is the story behind that?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    The Spirit House Cemetary looks very interesting. What is the story behind that?
    Glad you asked the question! The Russians were the first outside people to come to Alaska. The Russsian Orthodox Church was trying to meld the Orthodox and Local burial practices.

"The graveyard near the church is an Orthodox Cristian Cemetery. Most of those buried there are Athabascan Indians, along with some Russian people and Yupik Eskimos, and is still in use today. The spirit houses are placed over the grave 40 days after the burial to house the spirit of the deceased and their possessions. The colors of the houses are specific to the families, the red and white is the Alex family, the the blue and silver is the Chilligan family. Blankets are placed on the grave instead of flowers."
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very cool.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Glad you got to ride with akspyderman, He's a great guy. I enjoyed the time i spent with him and his wife. neat pics, can't wait for more.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    Glad you asked the question! The Russians were the first outside people to come to Alaska. The Russsian Orthodox Church was trying to meld the Orthodox and Local burial practices.

"The graveyard near the church is an Orthodox Cristian Cemetery. Most of those buried there are Athabascan Indians, along with some Russian people and Yupik Eskimos, and is still in use today. The spirit houses are placed over the grave 40 days after the burial to house the spirit of the deceased and their possessions. The colors of the houses are specific to the families, the red and white is the Alex family, the the blue and silver is the Chilligan family. Blankets are placed on the grave instead of flowers."
    That is a really good story, I am glad you got the background on it and were able to explain it for us.

Great pictures of flying around Alaska as well.

Spyder Garage

Great trip my wife and I are curious how many mile have you put on so far. Also I am wondering what type of camera hubby is using to take the great pics.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Very cool.
    It is a bit chilly up here for me. Just have to add another layer of clothing. Whats interesting is I have never seen the sun go down. Have been up till midnight, and woken up at 4:00 a.m., there is a twilight, but no real darkness that I've seen. Its easier to get used to than you'd think.

Quote Originally Posted by BMW View Post
    Glad you got to ride with akspyderman, He's a great guy. I enjoyed the time i spent with him and his wife. neat pics, can't wait for more.
    If was neat getting to meet akspyderman. He's a wealth of information! The places he took me and Hubby were wonderful!! Also got good tips for rides in the area. He's the go to guy if anyone rides up to Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    That is a really good story, I am glad you got the background on it and were able to explain it for us.

Great pictures of flying around Alaska as well.
    Its facinating to see different cultural traditions. There was a very patient priest answering all my questions.

Haven't flown is a long time. A view from the air give a new view of life.

Quote Originally Posted by RydeOnThree View Post
    Great trip my wife and I are curious how many mile have you put on so far. Also I am wondering what type of camera hubby is using to take the great pics.
    Trip A is used for gas tank mileage, Trip B is total mileage of our trip including Spyderfest runs. We'll pick Spydee up from the dealer this afternoon and will post Trip B mileage then.

Neither of us are hard core into photography. Nor would we take expensive camera equipment with us on the road. A Sony Cyber-shot with 12.1 mega pixels is taking all the pictures.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...

Spyder Garage

Default Palmer, Alaska

Early Saturday I went for a fly with my cousin. He's a bush pilot and flies a Cessna 170. Note the front balloon tires.

Flying over muskeg, bog with ajoining lakes.

At the Soldnota Airport. A real Pitts weather vane.

Coming in for a landing on Kalgin Island.

A summer fishing camp on Kalgin Island. They installed a flushing toilet this year.

It was a wonderful day to touch base with my flying side and see a different side of Alaska.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...