Spyder Garage

Default New driver coming...rode object ?

Hi guys,

Lately when driving into work I envision being on the . As I am doing this, I notice that there are obstacles in the lanes alot ( road kill mainly ). How do you handle avoidance if you cant leave your lane? Am I to assume you just try to stradle it either left or right of rear tire?....

Just thinking out loud again....

BTW...Spyder arrived at dealer.... Next week...

First ride ever on it ( few minibike rides as kid ). Will be 40 miles, dusk to dark... Little nervous ( slaps face...grow up ).. Any advice welcome

Soon, it begins....

Spyder Garage

Best thing is to try to avoid it, but that takes quite a bit of open distance ahead. Taking an obstacle just inside the front tire seems to work best for me, but it won't work with large objects, due to the low ground clearance. If all else fails, running over it with the rear tire seems to cause the fewest steering corrections, but at any wheel the Spyder handles a "bump" real well. Oh, by the way, avoid the skunks as roadkill.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Best thing is to try to avoid it, but that takes quite a bit of open distance ahead. Taking an obstacle just inside the front tire seems to work best for me, but it won't work with large objects, due to the low ground clearance. If all else fails, running over it with the rear tire seems to cause the fewest steering corrections, but at any wheel the Spyder handles a "bump" real well. Oh, by the way, avoid the skunks as roadkill.
    But I'll also add Avoid ''Porcupine's''.

Spyder Garage

the manual (or DVD, can't remember) suggests and unavoidable hazard run under your rear tire and stand up a bit on your pegs - so you don't get thrown off.

now, i have been over several bumps, potholes, one roadkill, and uneven pavement and i love how the has felt stable over them all.

now, about your first ryde....ask if the dealer is willing to deliver, and for what charge (my delivery was free - only about 15 miles). since the only way to get from the dealer to my house (that i know) involves 1-2 interstates/hiways and i had not ridden in over 20 yrs i told them, for safety sake, delivery would be preferred. i STRONGLY suggest delivery if you have NEVER rydden a . i also suggest doing the first 2-3 drills in your driveway and neighborhood before hitting any form of open road, but that's just me.

if you are too nervous about it (and they won't deliver) then if at all possible get someone to drive in front of you (i find it easier to follow a pacecar than to lead one) or behind if you prefer.

good luck and
    KIP
    2011 RS-S

Spyder Garage

Well that is an issue for sure and if you tow a trailer it's even worst seeing you pretty much have the whole road covered. To be honest I try not to ride in the dark because by time you see an object in the road it's pretty much too late.

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

STRONGLY agree with delivery if you have NEVER ridden a . I had sat on a few but nothing more. I had mine delivered and had to get the manual out to find out how to get it in reverse so I could drive it off the flatbed. I live in the country so practicing wasn't an issue. I stayed on the country roads till I felt confident enough to hit the 2 lane highways, then into the city and finally the interstate.

I try to keep my riding to daylight hours. Around here deer are a problem, especially around dawn and dusk. They are hard enough to see in the light, but nearly impossible to see at night. Never hit one on the Spyder, but have dodged potholes, small roadkill, pavement upheavals, etc.. If it's small, I take em just inside one or the other front wheels. If it's bigger, I straddle it and take the bounce with the rear wheel. Never a problem with handling.

Take your time learning. If there is another Spyder rider near you that would be a plus. Just enjoy and lastly ...
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series