Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Rattle when letting off throttle

2008 SE
    24k miles

My Spyder has developed a rattling noise when I let off of the gas. I searched the forums and do not see anything similar. The mechanic at the dealer I use has no idea what could be causing it, and cannot discern where it originates. He put the machine up on a stand to allow the rear wheel to spin and simulate on the road travel. Roll on the throttle, everything is find. Let go and rattle, rattle, rattle. The cycle performs well. Good acceleration. Good shifting. Just this noise whenever I let off the gas. And no, I do not have a Hindle exhaust.

Any ideas? I don't want him to tear everything apart without an idea of where to go with the exploratory surgery.

Spyder Garage

Your Harley buddies dropped a bolt in your pipe
    Just kidding but sure sounds like an exhaust issue like a loose baffle or something.

Spyder Garage

Sorry I don't have any answers for you but Lamont's sounds like the first place to look.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

Man it sound to me like you need an RTS !
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

First place I'd look is at the muffler. Loose baffle or loose heat shield would be a common cause.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    First place I'd look is at the muffler. Loose baffle or loose heat shield would be a common cause.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kenalmond View Post
    2008 SE
    24k miles

My Spyder has developed a rattling noise when I let off of the gas. I searched the forums and do not see anything similar. The mechanic at the dealer I use has no idea what could be causing it, and cannot discern where it originates. He put the machine up on a stand to allow the rear wheel to spin and simulate on the road travel. Roll on the throttle, everything is find. Let go and rattle, rattle, rattle. The cycle performs well. Good acceleration. Good shifting. Just this noise whenever I let off the gas. And no, I do not have a Hindle exhaust.

Any ideas? I don't want him to tear everything apart without an idea of where to go with the exploratory surgery.
    Like previously said sounds like the muffler.
    Another [slight] possibly Sometimes when you take a lode off a bad wheel bearing [off throttle] you can get a rattling like sound.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I don't think it's the muffler

I should add that the situation has been getting worse.

Check transmission message, limp home mode, towed once to dealer #2
    Dealer #2 blamed shop at Dealer #1
    Can AM had Dealer #1 reperform a bearing job
    Problem still exists, plus louder, more trans,mission and limp home faults
    Can Am won't tow, so I drive to dealer #3
    Check Transmission light comes on at low speed and gear, clears at high gear and speed - comes on 7 times on trip to Dealer #3
    Limp Home mode twice - Stop, cycle power, clear, continue
    Now, it has been 8 weeks, 3 dealers, and still no joy.

Spyder Garage

I should add that the situation has been getting worse.

Check transmission message, limp home mode, towed once to dealer #2
    Dealer #2 blamed shop at Dealer #1
    Can AM had Dealer #1 reperform a bearing job
    Problem still exists, plus louder, more trans,mission and limp home faults
    Can Am won't tow, so I drive to dealer #3
    Check Transmission light comes on at low speed and gear, clears at high gear and speed - comes on 7 times on trip to Dealer #3
    Limp Home mode twice - Stop, cycle power, clear, continue
    Now, it has been 8 weeks, 3 dealers, and still no joy.
    Your dealer should be able to find some fault codes in BUDS, with this history. If I were the dealer, I would suspect the GPS. As to the rattle, I agree with Lamont, the muffler is the first place to look.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I agree, it seems there are two issues at play here. Perhaps dealer #3 would have a stock can that he could borrow to put on your machine to either confirm or rule that out?

The codes make me want to suspect the GPS as well, given some historical posts of similar symptoms. I hope that the third dealer is the charm for you.
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default yes

Have your tect check front drive pulley.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    I agree, it seems there are two issues at play here. Perhaps dealer #3 would have a stock can that he could borrow to put on your machine to either confirm or rule that out?

The codes make me want to suspect the GPS as well, given some historical posts of similar symptoms. I hope that the third dealer is the charm for you.
    I still don't think it's the muffler. Regardless, Update: No word from Service at BRP dot COM. No word from Carlo. 3rd dealer now says he is too busy and wants Can Am to send a tech to fix it. Crimeny! Jumping Jehosaphat! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!

Spyder Garage

I had the exact same thing happen with it sounding like rattling metal. Turns out the original factory spec for belt tension was a little high causing excessive wear on the main drive shaft bearing. This obviously required a partial engine rebuild to replace it, all luckily done under warranty.

2008 SE5 24000 km
    HAPPY 2008 SE5 OWNER 1" BRP Riser, NMN 3" risers, NMN Triple Play & Tail Light, Kewlmetal Mirror Extensions, Evoluzione Powerbus, BRP 23" Touring Windshield on CHAD Bracket, Ride-On in tires, J&M Integrator, Gerbings Dual Zone Temp Controller & Heated Gloves, 2 Dash Mounted 12V outlets, Kewlmetal Highway Brackets & Kuryakyn pegs, Trunk Spring Mod, Vista Cruise Throttle Lock, Kuyrakyn L.E.D. Battery Guage

Spyder Garage

Default noticed this yesterday

I just noticed this same rattle yesterday. The wife and I took a nice ride yesterday, before we left I ran to gas up and get some cash and heard a rattle that sounded like it was coming from right underneath me. I have dealt with the baffle rattle already and was able to have that fixed. This is coming from right underneath me and only when off the throttle.

Now I am wondering if we should take the ride we have planned for today. We aren't going that far but we will be on a 2 lane Hwy known as "Blood Alley", not an ideal road to break down on. Little to no shoulder for most of the road. Only going about 30 miles. Would you go?

Very Happy Spyder Guy
    The 2015 F3 has over 46,000 miles
    Have Spyder...Will Travel

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hawkiii View Post
    I just noticed this same rattle yesterday. The wife and I took a nice ride yesterday, before we left I ran to gas up and get some cash and heard a rattle that sounded like it was coming from right underneath me. I have dealt with the baffle rattle already and was able to have that fixed. This is coming from right underneath me and only when off the throttle.

Now I am wondering if we should take the ride we have planned for today. We aren't going that far but we will be on a 2 lane Hwy known as "Blood Alley", not an ideal road to break down on. Little to no shoulder for most of the road. Only going about 30 miles. Would you go?
    If that is going to be on your mind, I'd say don't go. When riding you don't want to think about breaking down; you need to concentrate on what you are doing.

Spyder Garage

Once I decide I am going to ride, all else is out the window. We are going to go ahead with today's ride but off to the dealer we go to get this taken care of this week. Now that the weather is nice I have the itch to ride. Don't want her in the shop for an extended visit just when the perfect weather has arrived.

Very Happy Spyder Guy
    The 2015 F3 has over 46,000 miles
    Have Spyder...Will Travel

Spyder Garage

Default Plus one.

Quote Originally Posted by rleathen View Post
    I had the exact same thing happen with it sounding like rattling metal. Turns out the original factory spec for belt tension was a little high causing excessive wear on the main drive shaft bearing. This obviously required a partial engine rebuild to replace it, all luckily done under warranty.

2008 SE5 24000 km

Also had Hindle exhaust heat shield rattling but that was easy enough to diagnose. Best of luck.

Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Problem Fixed

Well, Can-Am found the problem. A spindle shaft in the engine. At higher rpm or under load it either centered (high rpm) or under load would engage fully. Solution - they are replacing the entire engine/drive package.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkiii View Post

Spyder Garage

Well, Can-Am found the problem. A spindle shaft in the engine. At higher rpm or under load it either centered (high rpm) or under load would engage fully. Solution - they are replacing the entire engine/drive package.
    Glad they found the cause. Very glad they are replacing the engine. That's absolutely the best cure.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Muffler Rattle

My 2010 RTS with 15k on the clock developed a rattle this spring. My wife first noticed it when I pulled in the driveway. Something is rattling. From that point on I was more attentive to the rattle that seemed to be coming from the muffler. It was not there at all upon startup. The engine had to get to a normal operating temp for it to develop. It got to be embarrassing at stop lights. I could not hear it going down the road. I took my Spyder to my dealer for them to listen. My service guys had no doubt it was a loose baffle in the muffler. They ordered a new muffler with some reluctance, I feel, from BRP. They claim they have not heard of this before. But send a new muffler they did; if you can believe $1700 for a muffler! I now have a new muffler that looks like the old one, but much cleaner. More important, no rattle.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Possable cause- the spyder dropping out of warp speed CLANK. Happens to me often! Jk