Thread: Harley envy

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Harley envy

I'll start with that i don't own a Harley;
    But if you could do a search that will punch up whenever a bike manufacturers name is mention,
    I'm willing to bet that outside of CanAm the Harley name pops up [usually derogatory] 90 to 1 over all others'
    Whats up with that.
    Last edited by boborgera; 04-11-2011 at 11:43 AM.

Spyder Garage

I don't know about the newer harleys, the last one I owned was a '56 Pan. Leaked everything. I do know Harley has come a long way, and the new Road Glide Ultra is almost enough to interest me...but my back keeps me off two wheels.

john

Spyder Garage

There is something that seems to draw a lot of people to Harleys. For years that name seemed to be synonomous with motorcycle. Harleys have indeed come a long way as a motorcycle. Based on reviews, they seem to be pretty good machines these days. They really do offer a lot of variety for any type of rider.

I have owned about 30 motorcycles in my life--but never had or even ridden a Harley. The motorcycles varied from 90cc to 2000cc and have had more than one from every one of the rice burners. 3 CanAm Spyders amongst the group. Came very close to purchasing a 78 BMW but did not like the stiffness of the ride--so ended up with a Kawasaki KZ650 that time. Never tried the Italian or British brands either. When I was considering the RTS, I looked at Harley Trikes and also test sat several Harley models. Also gave the Goldwing the once over again. I ended up with the RTS that time. When I decided I also had to have two wheels again--I ended up with the Vulcan 900--which is not the biggest cruiser around--but it fits my small stature and I can drive it without killing my back.

Motorcycles are a very personal item. Different brands make different statements, and everyone has an opportunity to find just what suits them best.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-11-2011 at 12:54 PM.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Wink

I am not sure about the 90x1... And I may be living a sheltered life ... But I thought it was far less than that

For us it was easy. I wanted American made (Victory was not available at the time). Now I do understand that a lot of foreign bikes are simply amazing, but I wanted Americans employed.

Then Harley had to outsource a lot to stay in competition, so we expanded our likes to our brothers and sisters in Canada "A"...

Spyder FTW (For the win)
    Last edited by IWN2RYD; 04-16-2011 at 07:07 PM.
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    But if you could do a search that will punch up whenever a bike manufacturers name is mention,
    I'm willing to bet that outside of CanAm the Harley name pops up [usually derogatory] 90 to 1 over all others'
    Whats up with that.
    So you're talking about if you do a search out here on SL for other bikes? Sure--- HD would come up more than other brands--- just like the would on the internet in general...... because they're still probably the most popular bike in the country. Just goes to show you that most popular doesn't mean 'best'. If I wanted an American made bike I'd get a Victory.

Just wait until the HD plant in India is in full swing and they determine they can ship bikes back here--just leaving the 'final assembly' to be done here and still call them 'made in the USA'. Then we'll see (hopefully) a big revolt against HD from their owner base. They already have Japanese parts on them as it is.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

I have a slightly different take on keeping Americans employed. There is so much outsourcing going on now--that I don't think any brand can be called totally American.

If I buy a product in the United States--I believe I am keeping Americans employed. The dealer, their employees, etc. The money goes down the economic chain and most of it stays right here in the US.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Whats up with that.
    What i was trying to say Why the Anti Harley statements ;ie The guy who diss my Spyder was riding a Harley, Looked like he was riding a Harley,
    And without seeing a bike any where near the guy, He looked like a Harley guy.

arntufun

It's most certainly not envy for me. But maybe this will help clarify why people always mention Harleys. There is really only a few bikes design looks (Harley look, Crotch Rocket look and the Touring bike look). So you have to put bikes into specfic catagories when speaking about them. Even Honda, V-Star, Susuki, Yamaha and others, make there non-sport bikes to look like Harleys now. And it is getting harder and harder to tell them apart. And all crotch rockets look the same, just a different color (and I just came off one). IMO There is only one true unique designed bike, and that would be the Spyder RS model (I'm like a parent that thinks there kid is the most adorable even when sometimes there really not. lol). If the front wheels of the RT were hidden behind a big truck someone, (a non-Spyder owner of course) could easily mistake the back of the RT for a goldwing. Opps, I know I'm going to hear it for that sentence. Sorry !!! So in conclusion, we as humans put everything into a catagory. Don't ask me why we do it, we just do. I blame it all on my wife, or is it the red dye #4 in our foods we eat. I forget.

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IWN2RYD View Post
    I am not sure about the 90x1... And I my be living a sheltered life ... But I thought it was far less than that

For us it was easy. I wanted American made (Victory was not available at the time). Now I do understand that a lot of foreign bikes are simply amazing, but I wanted Americans employed.

Then Harley had to outsource a lot to stay in competition, so we expanded our likes to our brothers and sisters in Canada "A"...

Spyder FTW (For the win)
    I too like to buy American we I can. What I have noticed is that many of the parts on the Can-Am are made in the US.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by JJW SpyderRider View Post
    I too like to buy American we I can. What I have noticed is that many of the parts on the Can-Am are made in the US.
    I noticed that too!

At the end of the day, there are products that we have no choice but to buy foreign. All I am saying is I try very hard to keep those in our Country, and Americans, employed. Sometimes that means paying more, sometimes that means simply buying an overseas item sold by an American. We just want our folks close to home to feed thier families here first.
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

arntufun

Harleys ARE good for one thing though. Every summer my neighbor takes his HD out of his garage and moves and sets it all around his driveway. Finally I asked him what he was doing that for, he said "I'm sealcoating my driveway". Thats why gas prices are so high today. Thanks HD for all those years of wasted of black gold !!! Thank god I don't have well water.

Spyder Garage

Too funny arntufun. Thing I also find is most riders I meet out there (and most are on HD's) - really don't ride much. They ride maybe 1,000 miles a year- back and forth to 'bike nights'. No sense having one if ya ain't RIDING it!

Only HD I would even consider is the v-rod due to the superior Porsche designed engine in it. You can keep the rest of the air-cooled HD bikes- just never been a fan of the HD look and culture

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What if you like Harleys, but just wouldn't want to OWN one?? I've been on some Hawgs that were tempting, but just not quite tempting enough...

What is the best two-wheeler out there?
    The one that you bought and paid for!

What's the best Trike?
    We don't even need to answer that one!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Too funny arntufun. Thing I also find is most riders I meet out there (and most are on HD's) - really don't ride much. They ride maybe 1,000 miles a year- back and forth to 'bike nights'. No sense having one if ya ain't RIDING it!

Only HD I would even consider is the v-rod due to the superior Porsche designed engine in it. You can keep the rest of the air-cooled HD bikes- just never been a fan of the HD look and culture

If you want a HD that uses oil get a V-Rod, I have an 05 Screamin Eagle V-Rod it uses a qt evey 600 miles or so, it doesn't leak. I bought it new in Feb 06, and has been that way since new, when I complained, was told they are all that way. When you open the seat to get to the gas tank, there is a sticker, check oil at every fill-up, The only HD model I've seen with that. That year they had 3.6 gal tanks so at about 34 mpg, I was looking for a gas station every 100 miles so didn't go far before checking oil. The v-rod wasted oil products both in oil and gas. My 05 Road King got over 45 mpg. On a trip to Sturgis, on to Montana and back home a little over 5000 miles, it used well less than a 1/4 of a qt. The whole trip.

Spyder Garage

Wow! That's a ton of oil. Realize that Porsche only designed the engine--- HD builds them. I've read that they now have v rods with well over 100,000 miles and have not done anything to them but change the oil. Pretty reliable-

Thanks for the info--- not that I'd buy an HD anyway--- just that the v rod is the only one that would interest if I was wanting an HD.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Read this thread and had a few responses
    "Derogatory posts"
    Probably found more negative posts as a percentage of owners here than on any motorcycle forum I've read! Especially on the RT early on. I believe it is because the Spyder is so new that there are not many sources of good information available. This site is the exception, IMHO.

So of course after reading the solutions and advice offered here by those more knowledgeable, decided to test ride the RT and purchased one to keep the Ultra company at night in the garage. (plus about 9000 miles on the road last year with it) No problems with either one by the way.

"envy"
    When I can't ride I envy anyone riding anything!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by piernik View Post
    Read this thread and had a few responses
    "Derogatory posts"
    Probably found more negative posts as a percentage of owners here than on any motorcycle forum I've read! Especially on the RT early on. I believe it is because the Spyder is so new that there are not many sources of good information available. This site is the exception, IMHO.

So of course after reading the solutions and advice offered here by those more knowledgeable, decided to test ride the RT and purchased one to keep the Ultra company at night in the garage. (plus about 9000 miles on the road last year with it) No problems with either one by the way.

"envy"
    When I can't ride I envy anyone riding anything!
    on the new RT !

Most that have bought a Spyder when they have another bike in the garage rarely ride anything but the Spyder.........so be warned.......

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Firefly;305330

Thanks for the info--- not that I'd buy an HD anyway--- just that the v rod is the only one that would interest if I was wanting an HD.[/QUOTE]

When Harley gos to water cooled in a year or two, The V Rod will most likely be discontinued , Going to water will increase the Hp on all there previously air cooled engines by 30%,
    So the V Rod will be redundant.
    So buy it now it will be a classic.

Spyder Garage

Default I noticed this too.

What i was trying to say Why the Anti Harley statements ;ie The guy who diss my Spyder was riding a Harley, Looked like he was riding a Harley,
    And without seeing a bike any where near the guy, He looked like a Harley guy.
    I'm sorry I did not understand what you were saying at first either.
    I noticed the same thing very recently myself. Irritating to me to hear the HD bashing from time to time. It's just not a nice thing to do. What a person chooses to ride is a choice, not "who they are" for goodness sake.
    I've never ridden a Harley but I still think they are "great looking" machines!
    Last edited by COOLMACHINE; 04-12-2011 at 09:58 AM.

Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default harleys

Whats up with that.
    In 1958 I purchased a sporster XLH.
    If my holds up to the beating I gave that harley, I will be satisfied.
    Right after I bought the harley, Uncle Sam said come here boy. In 1960 I was discharged. Took the harley motor apart and did a lot of upgrades to it. It ran 10.15 and 125 in a 1/4 mile. Ran it for three years this way then it got tired and you know the rest of the story.Can't ride a two wheeler now because of bad knees and back. Another reason is the wife won't ride a two wheeler.