Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 18.4 MPG

Spyder Garage

Default 18.4 MPG

Ran from Denton, Texas to Odessa today pulling the RT-622 trailer. & pushing a 35 MPH head wind @ 75 MPH.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Those were some pretty severe conditions but it is still a pretty dismal mpg. That is one thing I wish could be improved for future models On my ride today I got 25 mpg which is about what I usually get. I get the same in my car, of course the RT is more fun to ride.
    Last edited by SpyderAnn01; 04-09-2011 at 09:01 PM.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well, as I told a Spyder-admirer at the store today when he asked about mpg . . .
    we didn't buy 'em for the gas mileage

Spyder Garage

By the way, there are some very serious wildfires in the the Midland/Odessa and Alpine & Ft Davis areas. Those combined with the brutal winds is making for seriously dangerous conditions. Your prayers are needed.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Cat View Post
    Well, as I told a Spyder-admirer at the store today when he asked about mpg . . .
    we didn't buy 'em for the gas mileage
    Not meant to offend anyone, but that is what is said when the mileage is poor and would not even be thought of if it got great mileage... I only have around 600 miles on my 11 and have been consistently getting about 30 or so.

Willy
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..

Spyder Garage

I guess I am averaging around 25-28mpg (2000 miles on the clock now).... but, when compared to my only other vehicle ('09 Ford F450 6.4L diesel with 4:30 gears getting 13mpg on a good day), I don't complain .
    $Bill
    '10 Orbital Blue RT-S SE5
    '15 White/Black F3S SE6
    '13 Victory Cross Country Blacked Out - TRADED
    "No matter where you go, there you are"

USAF 1963-1987, US Fed Courts 1987-2010
    Retired 2010-?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GypsyBill View Post
    I guess I am averaging around 25-28mpg (2000 miles on the clock now).... but, when compared to my only other vehicle ('09 Ford F450 6.4L diesel with 4:30 gears getting 13mpg on a good day), I don't complain .
    I'm right in there with you, averaging between 27-28 mpg (8,200 miles on the odo). But what the SpYder lacks in mpg it makes up for in FUN!!!

p.s. I used to get 35 to 40 mpg with my H-D Ultra Classic and I've got the scars from the exhaust pipe burns on my lower right leg to prove it!! Tupperware (lower mileage) vs Hot Pipes (better mileage) = NO CONTEST!!
    Last edited by Slybird; 04-11-2011 at 11:46 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Fuel mileage...
    Did any of you see the BBC America show "Top Gear" when they did their fuel mileage show? They took 2 cars to a race track: a Prius and an M3. The Prius had to run WFO while the M3 only had to keep the hybrid's pace.
    Results:The Prius got a bit less than 18mpg while the M3 got almost 20!
    Their conclusion? If you want to save fuel; buy a BMW M3!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Recently sold my C6 Z06 Corvette. Picked it up at the factory in Bowling Green Kentucky, came home through "The Tail of the Dragon" and still averaged 30MPG. Not bad for 515HP!
    I get about the same on my RTS. Usually fill at 120 miles and it takes 4 gallons every time.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But you could own 2 RTSs and have enough left over for an RS for the cost of the Z06? (But you'd only get 306hp??)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by billythekidd View Post
    Not meant to offend anyone, but that is what is said when the mileage is poor and would not even be thought of if it got great mileage...
    No offense taken Willy . . . the guy was asking me if it got 45 to 50 mpg.
    According to the road tests we've seen in the cycle mags, there's not a comparable ride (weight/performance)
    that's gonna pull that kind of mileage. Our best mileage on either Spyder was 40+/- (you can check our fuelly stats)
    and I think that was during break in period. . . . now we ryde 'em like they were designed to be ridden

Aside from commuting to work, our fav rydes are the twisty canyons all around us . . . .
    not at all conducive to great mileage . . . but hours and hours of great S-mileage....

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

We will be heading to Maggie valley riding 2 up with Kiddo the Spyderpooch and towing an Aspen Sentry popup. I don't want to even check the consumption rate!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    Ran from Denton, Texas to Odessa today pulling the RT-622 trailer. & pushing a 35 MPH head wind @ 75 MPH.
    The drag equivalent of 35mph + 75mph = 110mph would be horrendous. I am surprised that you got as good as you did get. If you are concerned about fuel consumption, slow down...otherwise enjoy the ride.

Bootie-The Grievous Angel
    2015 F3-S, ISCI Handbrake, F4 32" Windshield, Zumo 660 GPS, Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

I also get 27-30, which appears to be the big average--depending on all the varying conditions. I had my Vulcan 900 out this weekend for the first time this season. The snow in my driveway finally melted. That first ride of the year is really the best. The Vulcan is a couple hundred pounds less than Spyder and a whole lot less drag area. I am usually in the ballpark of 40-45 mpg on that. I don't drive either machine for the mpg though. It is the fun-factor that brings me to this particular pastime.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    Winds were really bad that day. I came from Georgetown, Texas to Bronte, Texas in my Ford Excursion 7.3 liter diesel and got about the same mileage you did. But I didn't have near as much fun as you. Headwinds are really hard on the RT's. The worse mileage I have gotten was just over 22 MPG into a strong headwind at about 75 MPH. They just push so much air.

My mileage usually runs 28 - 30 MPG but, who cares, on a good day it can run well over 100 smiles per gallon.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bootie View Post
    The drag equivalent of 35mph + 75mph = 110mph would be horrendous. I am surprised that you got as good as you did get. If you are concerned about fuel consumption, slow down...otherwise enjoy the ride.
    I'm riding with my two brothers and a sister-in-law and are matching their pace. This was mostly on the interstate.

Since that day, we've been on back roads at varying speeds. My mileage has generally been better and in a few cases when we ran an easy 35-55 MPH, I got as high as 32.3 MPG. That was also in the mountains, which I find to be better.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I've found the MPG is usually better on the trip home rather than away. Never been able to figure out why.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Is there any thing I can do?

Is there any thing we can do to improve the MPG? Has any one changed there exhaust and seen an improvement? Thx

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Cat View Post
    . . . we didn't buy 'em for the gas mileage
    Very true. Gets better than my Dodge 1500 but my wife's Impala is getting about 32.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    I've found the MPG is usually better on the trip home rather than away. Never been able to figure out why.
    Thats because you know the way back, ie; no getting lost and back tracking.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Smile

We have been getting 35 to 37 mpg consistently on our 2010 RT in warm weather. The mileage is less in the winter because of the gas formulation I believe, about 3 mpg. Last trip Sunday and Monday Harrisburg Pa. to Erie and back, some interstate mostly country two lane through the hills. 37.5 mpg over 650 miles traveled. Manual transmission and don't do anything different than with any of our other bikes. Incedentally it gets almost identical mileage as our 99 Kawasaki Nomad 1500, not fuel injected, and about 10 less than our 2004 HD Ultra Classic. Usually ride with the windscreen set low, that may make some difference I suppose.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Replied to wrong thread

Sorry, thought I was replying to "average mileage for RT" thread. Don't pull a trailer so my results don't apply to your situation exactly.

Spyder Garage

Cool

Pretty cool Thread. I think my wife and I are the odd balls so far. We have not yet ever checked mileage on our RT. Now to be fair, we think Five tanks in a row from the same station, doing the same driving style and conditions, are how to properly get an idea of true mileage. Just how we do it...

That said... I think if we stay in what I call the sweet spot of RPMs on the RT (4200-4500), I have seen my best mileage. This is usually when the gas light has come on and I am now looking for gas

Other than that... We honestly do not care. We just make sure we have $20 cash on us for those times (In case they have no CC ability at that time).

This is being used as a instrument to help us heal from the loss of our 21 year old Son last year. So folks can say what they want about no one caring about mileage, there is always those out there that do and do not...
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I remember reading a couple weeks ago under the GENERAL tab someone had developed a homemade muffler that had dramatic results in horsepower and mileage. Have not seen much since then. Perhaps Scotty knows. These RT's needs help in both departments IMHO. But I still love it to death.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.