Spyder Garage

Default Okay folks- what's the trick......volume level of 590 GPS and Sena's

Okay- So, my new 2015 RT-Limited can play the sound of the GPS through the bike's speaker system. ONLY if you have the Radio on and if you tune it to an OFF STATION you sometimes get static as the radio is trying to catch radio signals. I decided I didn't like that so....

I synchronized it to work with my Sena-Helmet system. I have tried to:

1.) lower the volume settings within the Garmin 590 itself.
    2.) lowered the volume on my Sena

Here are the issues:

If I lower the volume on my Sena then when it restores my intercom I can hardly hear my wife talk to me.

Otherwise- the darn instructions STILL blast my head so bad I cringe!

What is the trick to getting a nice- volume level from the GPS to the Sena without it blasting my head.

I mean how hard can this be? Really?

Anyone with similar experience who can give me a clue!

Thank you!
    2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Spyder Garage

The volumes in Sena are separate for different devices, so you should be able to set a different volume for GPS, phone, SR/SM10, etc. The trick is you need to set the volume when the audio channel is open (when the device is actively making sound). With the GPS audio is only on for short bursts. Try this:

Turn intercom on and while its on and you are talking to each other set the volume to something comfortable.
    Turn intercom off
    Do something to get the GPS to 'speak' as verbosely as possible. While GPS is speaking quickly adjust volume to what is comfortable.
    Now see if it behaves properly...

I have seen on my 10u if one channel is open and GPS comes on, it's extremely loud as if the volumes are added. Haven't figure out why it does that occasionally yet, but try adjusting the volumes separately. It could be an issue with both channels open, and one is supposed to mute and allow the other to come on, but should come on to set volume - maybe there is an issue there?
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Spyder Garage

Here's another option, if kind of a long way around: My wife wanted to also hear the gps signal and we prefer the music from the ipod through the bike stereo. I purchased the sm10 and cable from Motorcycle Dave (site sponsor) and run the gps through the stereo and the stereo bluetoothed to the two Sena 20's via the sm10. Works great! If we are not using the sena's for some reason we just turn up the volume on the stereo speakers.

The only downside is that now she knows when I miss a turn

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Elembytes View Post
    Okay- So, my new 2015 RT-Limited can play the sound of the GPS through the bike's speaker system. ONLY if you have the Radio on and if you tune it to an OFF STATION you sometimes get static as the radio is trying to catch radio signals. I decided I didn't like that so....

Well that's just wrong.
    You cannot turn the radio off. The key is on and the mode button has been pressed the radio is on.
    When the GPS has something to say it will mute all other sources while it says it's message.
    If you have the radio on mute. The GPS will override the mute function to say it's message.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you- We will give that a try!

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Well that's just wrong.
    You cannot turn the radio off. The key is on and the mode button has been pressed the radio is on.
    When the GPS has something to say it will mute all other sources while it says it's message.
    If you have the radio on mute. The GPS will override the mute function to say it's message.
    Thank you- we will give this option a try. IF not we can try some of these other options. Just don't need my head blasted everytime the GPS speaks directions! OUCH! I am already having hearing issues- LOL- don't need to rush it more! LOL!
    2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Spyder Garage

Default Adjust

Quote Originally Posted by Elembytes View Post
    Thank you- we will give this option a try. IF not we can try some of these other options. Just don't need my head blasted everytime the GPS speaks directions! OUCH! I am already having hearing issues- LOL- don't need to rush it more! LOL!
    The volume on the GPS FROM 60%._80-100%+- for navigation/music...tools,volume, adjust +-
    Last edited by thereverend; 05-13-2016 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Added info

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BilltheDiver View Post
    Here's another option, if kind of a long way around: My wife wanted to also hear the gps signal and we prefer the music from the ipod through the bike stereo. I purchased the sm10 and cable from Motorcycle Dave (site sponsor) and run the gps through the stereo and the stereo bluetoothed to the two Sena 20's via the sm10. Works great! If we are not using the sena's for some reason we just turn up the volume on the stereo speakers.
    Thanks for posting that! I thought I knew a thing or two about how these things all work together, but I had forgotten you could do that. However, I just confirmed that you are absolutely correct.

It will NOT work that way, of course, if you are listening to music from your phone instead of from the bikes entertainment system. I'm still working on a reasonable way to listen to music from my phone, hear directions from the GPS and be able to receive or initiate calls on my phone all through the new "S" series of Sena headsets; and STILL be able to switch back to an A2DP connection with the Sena BT Dongle (instead of music from the phone - taking advantage of Sena's new "Audio Override" feature) when I want to.

I know there must be a way to do all of that. I've just got to find some time to experiment a bit more with the new Sena "S" series pairing functions.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by thereverend View Post
    The volume on the GPS FROM 60%._80-100%+- for navigation/music...tools,volume, adjust +-
    That only works when you have the GPS connected via the bikes audio system. When you connect the GPS via BT, the volume control on the GPS itself is disabled and defaults to full volume. Thus, the problem the OP was questioning in his post. The best solution I have found is in post #3 above. The suggestion in post #2 is an interesting suggestion for those without an SM10 BT dongle. I haven't tried that myself, but I have a feeling you'd have to re-adjust the volumes every time you rode, which may get to be a PITA.
    Last edited by robmorg; 05-14-2016 at 01:54 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat