Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Longest its been in the shop?

So my question is this: What is the longest your spyder has been in the shop for any work? Mine has now been in the shop around 3 months for an oil leak. And I personally think this is rediculous so looking at what others have experienced.
    Happy SE5 Owner!!!

Silver/Black SE5 - Trunk Liner, 1" riser, 12v, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, 5" Kewlmetal Pullback Bars, Kewlmetal Console, Zumo 450, Ipod, Kewlmetal Highway brackets with Wing pegs, Triple Play, Wizard Light LED's, Corbin front/rear saddle with Backrest, Nelson Rigg CL950 Saddlebags with CL800 Tote Bag, CalSci Medium Windshield.

Spyder Garage

6 months, but I had the engine rebuilt. It was still a lot longer than necessary though. Once I got Carlo involved, things moved along much more quickly.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

14 weeks for Nancy's RS, 10 weeks for my 2010 RTS. I agree that after a reasonable time it pays to get Carlo involved.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zzneonzz View Post
    So my question is this: What is the longest your spyder has been in the shop for any work? Mine has now been in the shop around 3 months for an oil leak. And I personally think this is rediculous so looking at what others have experienced.

3 week's waiting for a new ECM last July, I didn't like it at all, But

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

wow ok looks like 3 months isn't abnormal when it comes to some repairs. Guess i'll give them a little longer before getting someone else involved.
    Happy SE5 Owner!!!

Silver/Black SE5 - Trunk Liner, 1" riser, 12v, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, 5" Kewlmetal Pullback Bars, Kewlmetal Console, Zumo 450, Ipod, Kewlmetal Highway brackets with Wing pegs, Triple Play, Wizard Light LED's, Corbin front/rear saddle with Backrest, Nelson Rigg CL950 Saddlebags with CL800 Tote Bag, CalSci Medium Windshield.

Spyder Garage

2 weeks waiting on a part due to shipping errors.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

wow ok looks like 3 months isn't abnormal when it comes to some repairs. Guess i'll give them a little longer before getting someone else involved.
    I wouldn't give them any longer. IMO anything over a week to ten days, without a valid reason, is unacceptable.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I wouldn't give them any longer. IMO anything over a week to ten days, without a valid reason, is unacceptable.
    Agreed!!!

Chris
    Last edited by MouthPiece; 04-06-2011 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Last smiley didn't come out

SpyderRyderTV

I think your right Scotty, you paid good money for the spyder and should get at least half a measure of good service from the dealers: after all that's what they call themselves -- dealers of sales & maintenance

Spyder Garage

If you don't get Carlo involved it could be there another three months. My ride was in for 22 days for a 2 hour repair, but without Carlo it might still be there
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder

You people are scaring me to death. I'am picking up my 2011 rts thursday. Are they all this screwed up?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ijon1 View Post
    You people are scaring me to death. I'am picking up my 2011 rts thursday. Are they all this screwed up?
    Keep reading other posts an threads... these are only a fraction of the ones that are out there giving unlimitted hours of enjoyment like mine!

I was skeptical like you at first but if you read the forum more deeper, you will see that these are just very few posts related to major issues. Otherwise, as long as you have a good dealer you should be fine!
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

A handful of people who have experienced extended down-time due to problems, are not a representation of the thousands of roadsters that have been sold or serviced. In short, they are not all this screwed up. In fact, even these were not necessarily bad, they just experienced delays in repairs, sometimes for parts availability, and sometimes due to inaction of a particular dealer. It happens, but it is not common.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Absolutely not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

I consider myself to be pretty lucky when it comes to repairs. Have owned 3 different . #1--2008 GS Manual--never in the shop overnight. Put 22,000 miles on it. Only needed regular service and tires. It is still going strong with owner #2. #2--2009 RS SE5--At the dealer for about 4 days to replace a bad computer at about 1500 miles. No other overnight visits at the dealer. 19,000 miles and still going strong. #3--2010 RTS--no overnight stays--just regular maintainence. Due for tires this season. 15,000 miles on the machine. I am fortunate to have a customer service oriented dealer who also has good mechanics to work on the . No complaints from me on my experiences.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder

That makes me feel better. Thats for the replies.

Spyder Garage

No, three months is abnormal. I wouldn't give them another day. Call BRP customer service and get Carlo involved.

I have been lucky and haven't had one of these horror stories happen to me yet (knock on wood).

My Spyder has mostly had normal service and service bulletins done. In one day and out the next.

It has only had two extended stays. One was about 12 days for repairs after hitting a deer. The other was a checkup at the end of the '09 riding season. I told my dealer there was no rush as I was done riding for the year. Needless to say they took that literally and they had the Spyder for about four weeks. When they called to tell me it was done it had already snowed a couple of times and there was salt on the roads. They delivered it to my house in an enclosed trailer at no cost to me.
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Spyder Garage

42 Days-- Probably because it was taken in a week before the 4th of July and my dealer is a High volumn-Lowest Price dealer who was probably prepping new bikes instead of fixing MINE!!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Lets face it IF they were all that screwed up you wouldn't be able to buy one They would be out of business.
    That said if another major company made a reverse trike.
    Two things would happen. They would have to stock more parts and get them to the dealer FAST,
    Or they will slowly lose market share and fade away.

Spyder Garage

3 months for DPS issues last year (Jan-March)
    2 months for DESS issue last year (June-July, or July-Aug. can't recall at present)
    1 Month - November for Non -issue - service dept. thought something was wrong, shipped Spyder to FL where warranty work could be done- none needed
    I got to know Carlo pretty well....and he was a big help.
    Still call him once in a while to tell him I have no problems and that I'm loving my - figured a nice message stating a happy Spyderlover might be nice message in a pile of issues to rectify...

has been running GREAT since DPS recall last Sept.
    and have put on over 6K miles since then. Now past 18k
    Taking it in for FINAL service plan service tomorrow.

I hope I haven't just jinxed myself!!
    Last edited by musicarcade; 04-06-2011 at 02:58 PM.
    Happier Spyder Owner

Fairly happy 08 YELLOW SE5

Spyder Garage

5 month
    2018 F3 , Red

Spyder Garage

5 days. I'm very direct whenever I drop it off for service and set up a specific pick-up date that I hold them to. I would not accept anything over 2 weeks for anything but a major teardown of the engine or tranny - and even then I'd be screaming if it hit 4 weeks.

Yeah-- I'm patient like that!

I've done most all the maintenance myself - so I rarely see the shop - only for recall work or major stuff. No major problems --- had DPS done once and then again once the new version came out.

I stock many parts that seem to be popular breakdown items (bearings, sprockets, coolant tank, gaskets, etc.) to assure I won't have a wait for those parts. Going to order some shims soon too...

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

I'm with Dan on this one. I am fortunate in that I have a very good relationship with my dealer and we work well together. So far everything has been coordinated to the point where our machines have been in the shop and out the same day. Of course this means that I have not suffered a major failure of any kind. Only twice have I been stranded on the side of the road and both times my tech was able to walk me through procedures that got the machine started and running well enough to get me home. That's pretty fair reliability given I ride 95 miles minimum every day.
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S