Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    As long as we're enjoying the stereotyping

I rode my new RS for the first time this past weekend, did a hundred miles around town and burbs. Saw plenty of two-wheel riders around town. In my wholly unscientific survey, 80% of Harley riders gave me the little side wave as we passed each other by, and maybe 20% of the metric riders did.

I can't explain the difference. My guess is that if you're a metric / sportbiker, you might look at the Spyder as a failed imitation of a sportbike, but if you're an HD rider, you look at it and think, "Hey, that looks comfortable *AND* safe."

Anyway, it was nice to be part of a friendly cult again
    I get the sense metric/sportbikers are less inclined to do the wave in general. I tend to get the coldest reception from young guys on sportbikes. At gas stations they usually won't even make eye-contact.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    I took my spyder out today for the first spring ride ( a cool 49 degrees). This was also the first ride since I had the VSS recall, new HMF pipe and a few mods to make her look pretty. So obviously on the first ride of the season, I was so happy and grinning from ear to ear. I'm at the gas station fueling up, and this longhaired bearded guy pulls up to the light on the corner of the gas station in a beatup old chevy car. He looked liked he rides one of those motorcycles that cost a fortune, leak oil and has not taken a shower in two weeks. Well anyway, I'm looking in that direction and he rolls his window down and screams, "Only girls ride three wheels" and drives off. My bubble I was in just bursted and my jaw just dropped. I have never received any type of negative feedback out riding. NEVER !!! The only thing I could think of, was to extend one of my fingers upright. It almost took some of the fun out of the rest of my ride because I kept thinking about it. Why would some person try to ruin my first spring ride ??? WWYD ??? (what would you do)
    You should have yelled back "You are right, your girl was riding me on it lastnight. She said that it was the best shes ever had."

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the most adaptive to change.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Yep... Girls ride these things... and I want to meet them!
    Good work - thought the pics like the thread was gone for good.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Truthfully I hope I didn't do too awful much wrong... I like it here...
    I guess if you want those pics, grab 'em while they're here!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

The saying used to be ;Only Girls drive Saturn's.
    You know what happened to them.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Does it have anything to do with Uranus?
    Uh-oh...

Spyder Garage

What'd I do?? Am I in trouble again? How come I keep asking these three questions???
    If I've offended... my apologies are sincerely offered... In my defense; I've never felt that a beautiful woman on a beautiful bike could ever be considered a bad thing...
    The last time I took Clyde to the dealership for service, a couple of guys closely watched me pull into the service department. One commented to the other that there's NOTHING sexier than a woman riding a machine like that! Grunts of agreement and lots of heads nodding all around the shop. Being short and wide and old, it really made my day! No offense taken here, dude.

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Not all but many of leaky 2 wheelers are AH's.. However, I guess stupid or id10t would be better.. They know not.

Spyder Garage

Default MY REPLY

Only Cagers ride 4 wheels...

I'm Back!!!
    Last edited by Motza; 05-24-2011 at 10:59 PM. Reason: because

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I get a kick out of how many BMW riders wont wave back, I am sure that they dont think they are better than us or stuck on their selfs probalbly just afraid to take a hand off the bar to wave back. I still wave just to see how many wont wave back. It is really to bad because their BMW bikes are almost as good and classy as our sypders.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's funny; but I've noticed the same thing... BMW riders and folks on Harleys seem to be the ones most likely to not wave...
    Their loss; not mine!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

If anyone need's someone to wave back to confirm they made the right decision in buying a Spyder' Then Maybe they really didn't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd be willing to agree with you Bob that a wave's return shouldn't be considered a confirmation of one's choices; perhaps it (or the lack of it)only shows who's in either a good or bad mood that day...

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd be willing to agree with you Bob that a wave's return shouldn't be considered a confirmation of one's choices; perhaps it (or the lack of it)only shows who's in either a good or bad mood that day...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I dont think the wave is a okay as to what someone else is riding I think it shows that people are friendly and BMW riders dont show that and as to Harley riders most of them wave back or in most cases wave first exept the wanna be riders.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Never had an issue with riders on certain brands of bikes not waving back. Here in NC, you can get a sore arm/hand from waving so much.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Registered Users Vegaspearlbaby's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Find that most sport bike riders wave, the old-school Harley bikers don't, they just give you stink-eye or pretend they don't see you... and I don't particularly care for some neon-clad idiot on his BMW waving at me. What is it with them and all the yellow? Is that a pre-requisite for buying a BMW, you HAVE to wear that crap?!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vegaspearlbaby View Post
    Find that most sport bike riders wave, the old-school Harley bikers don't, they just give you stink-eye or pretend they don't see you... and I don't particularly care for some neon-clad idiot on his BMW waving at me. What is it with them and all the yellow? Is that a pre-requisite for buying a BMW, you HAVE to wear that crap?!
    What color someone is wearing is their business and doesn't stop me from waving. And, as far as 'yellow' goes, there are those on here (spyderlovers) who wear it. Although I am not one of them.

Spyder Garage

Is there a reason you throw out insults so freely, or did your mother just fail to raise you properly? I ride both BMWs and Spyders. I wear what keeps me safe. I hope I don't insult you by ever waving at you, but if I accidentally do, please forgive me.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users Vegaspearlbaby's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have no problem being visible, but around here I've seen them head to toe in yellow! And as for me being rude... I had no intention of coming off as rude, but sometimes the tone in which things are said is very much lost in text... No offense meant, just merely making an observation.

Spyder Garage

Cool Bigger and better Toys

could not resist.......

Why don't you ride a real MC?

Very simple, I can now afford bigger and better toys...
    2018 RT Limited , Champange with black and pink strips

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I LIKE that!
    Actually, if you think of the yellow as golf pants or bowling shoes it's not so bad...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 05-25-2011 at 12:58 PM.

Spyder Garage

Around here, most folks wave, but usually the ones who don't are crotch rockets or BMWs.

As for yellow... well, just look at my avatar. I also wear a black and yellow jacket and gloves, and a lemon yellow helmet. Not that yellow is my favorite color, but I feel it's one of the most visible, therefore more safe. Maybe the BMW riders share that opinion.

Of course, I am woefully uninformed about BMW rules...

Spyder Garage

Wearing the yellow hi-vis clothing is a safety practice, not a fashion statement. BMW riders are arguably some of the longest distance riders around, many putting tens of thousands of miles on each year...year after year. Safety is of utmost importantance to most of them, hence the hi-vis clothing, ATGATT, etc. Although there can be social reasons for not waving, safety is often the BMW rider's aim there, too. Most safety instructors have tried to discourage that practice in the past few years, as it distracts the rider and lessens his control for a short time. That also applies to the crotch rockets. Leaning forward like that makes it more difficult to wave and still keep control. If you look closely at the hands, many sport bike riders just raise a finger.

Condemning other riders because they do not wave, because they don't wave in a certain manner, or because of the clothing they wear, is as immature as making fun of them because of the brand or model of bike or Spyder they ride. We all share the road and the wind. Some tolerance seems to be in order...whether it is tolerance of what another person rides, what he wears, or whether or not he waves. Enjoy the ryde, respect those that acknowledge you, and don't worry about those that don't, or don't do things your way. JMHO
    Last edited by NancysToy; 05-25-2011 at 05:12 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Wearing the yellow hi-vis clothing is a safety practice, not a fashion statement. BMW riders are arguably some of the longest distance riders around, many putting tens of thousands of miles on each year...year after year. Safety is of utmost importantance to most of them, hence the hi-vis clothing, ATGATT, etc. Although there can be social reasons for not waving, safety is often the BMW rider's aim there, too. Most safety instructors have tried to discourage that practice in the past few years, as it distracts the rider and lessens his control for a short time. That also applies to the crotch rockets. Leaning forward like that makes it more difficult to wave and still keep control. If you look closely at the hands, many sport bike riders just raise a finger.

Condemning other riders because they do not wave, becuse they don't wave in a certain manner, or because of the clothing they wear, is as immature as making fun of them because of the brand or model of bike or Spyder they ride. We all share the road and the wind. Some tolerance seems to be in order...whether it is tolerance of what another person rides, what he wears, or whether or not he waves. Enjoy the ryde, respect those that acknowledge you, and don't worry about those that don't, or don't do things your way. JMHO
    Thanks, Scotty. Couldn't have said it any better, so I won't.
    Dan