Spyder Garage

Default 2010 RT-S 12,000 check

Just got the "good news" from my dealer on the estimate for the 12,000 mile check----$292 (labor included)+ parts. The service manager also suggested that after a year the clutch and brake fluid should be changed at a cost of $170. I know labor and service costs vary around the country, but how does this ($292) stack up with what some of you have run up against? Also, how significant is the annual changing of the clutch and brake fluid recommendation? Comments, thoughts???

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If everything is done by the book, very good price
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    If everything is done by the book, very good price
    By the book!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My 12,000 mile service was done on 2/16/11 by the book. It included oil and filter change, new air filter, changing the radiator coolant, changing the brake fluid, replace both spark plugs, checking the valves but not adjusting since all four were in spec., and checking all hoses, clamps, linkages, etc. I have a maintenance agreement so it was all paid for in advance but I received a repair order which listed all the work done, parts and fluids replaced, and the prices for each. The total bill for parts, labor, and incidental shop supplies was $473.30 plus tax of $36.63 which brought the bill to $509.93.

I'm glad I didn't have to pay it although, of course, I paid for it when I bought the original maintenance agreement. But then, I still have a little over 2 years left on the maintenance agreement. At a cost of $1399, the maintenance agreement is proving to be worth the money. I expect that I will begin doing my own maintenance when the agreement ends but I expect to have well over 30,000 miles on it by then and, who knows, I might want to trade it in on a new RED one.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy View Post
    My 12,000 mile service was done on 2/16/11 by the book. It included oil and filter change, new air filter, changing the radiator coolant, changing the brake fluid, replace both spark plugs, checking the valves but not adjusting since all four were in spec., and checking all hoses, clamps, linkages, etc. I have a maintenance agreement so it was all paid for in advance but I received a repair order which listed all the work done, parts and fluids replaced, and the prices for each. The total bill for parts, labor, and incidental shop supplies was $473.30 plus tax of $36.63 which brought the bill to $509.93.

I'm glad I didn't have to pay it although, of course, I paid for it when I bought the original maintenance agreement. But then, I still have a little over 2 years left on the maintenance agreement. At a cost of $1399, the maintenance agreement is proving to be worth the money. I expect that I will begin doing my own maintenance when the agreement ends but I expect to have well over 30,000 miles on it by then and, who knows, I might want to trade it in on a new RED one.

Cotton
    LOL....yeah, you'll have the red one by then for sure! My RT dealer doesn't believe in maintenance contracts. The previous dealer that I bought the '09 RS from did and they included it as part of the deal, so I wasn't out any money on maintenance. But it's interesting that your dealer included the brake fluid replacement as part of the 12,000 mile service.

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Spyder Garage

When I bought my bike the dealer warned me that the 12K service was about $1200. Now I know he will drop that some, but no where near as low as you guys mentioned. I've been very happy with their service for many years and several bikes, but this is just too big a difference.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by glynnk View Post
    But it's interesting that your dealer included the brake fluid replacement as part of the 12,000 mile service.

Glynnk
    Brake fluid replacement is part of the 12,000 mile or 2 year service according to page 113 of the owner's manual. The terms of the maintenance agreement are to perform all the required service at factory recommended intervals and the dealer covers all parts except obvious wear items (tires, brake pads, etc.). I'll enjoy it as long as I can, then I'll have to go to work or trade for that RED one. LOL

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MangoMike View Post
    When I bought my bike the dealer warned me that the 12K service was about $1200. Now I know he will drop that some, but no where near as low as you guys mentioned. I've been very happy with their service for many years and several bikes, but this is just too big a difference.
    Wow! You're right! Something doesn't add up... In my case, I've got the dealer sending me an email on the cost based on my request. I may be getting shortchanged and in your case you may be buying Fort Knox! How could there be so much variation in the cost? Can somebody shed some light?

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Just got the "good news" from my dealer on the estimate for the 12,000 mile check----$292 (labor included)+ parts. The service manager also suggested that after a year the clutch and brake fluid should be changed at a cost of $170. I know labor and service costs vary around the country, but how does this ($292) stack up with what some of you have run up against? Also, how significant is the annual changing of the clutch and brake fluid recommendation? Comments, thoughts???

Glynnk

Brake fluid change is every two years.

Spyder Garage

Glynnk
    Just got off the phone with my service department . The BRP unit charge for changing either the clutch or brake fluids is 6 hrs. To do them both is 12 hours. He once again referred to the delicate computer sensitivity. So, if any dealer tells you they can do both for $170, something is wrong. The total labor at $95/hr is well over $1000.
    Over the years I have ridden several bikes over 70,000 miles and have never done anything to the clutch or brake fluids. I think it is just a big overkill to require changing. The system is air tight and if you don't notice any leaks, what can go wrong? People can do whatever helps them to feel good, but I won't be doing it.
    Last edited by Dudley; 03-19-2011 at 02:07 PM.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

12,000 mile service = $480.17 which included tax.

Chris PE# 0004

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

A quote from my dealer yesterday was 1250 for the TOTAL 12000 mile service, which includes checking and adjusting the valves. Sounds like the other services you guys are getting are oil changes plus a little.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    A quote from my dealer yesterday was 1250 for the TOTAL 12000 mile service, which includes checking and adjusting the valves. Sounds like the other services you guys are getting are oil changes plus a little.

The difference in price is because some dealers, right or wrong, Go by the book and some don't.
    Now being the Devils Advocate, In my opinion Some dealers will charge you by the book' but don't really go by the book.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    The difference in price is because some dealers, right or wrong, Go by the book and some don't.
    Now being the Devils Advocate, In my opinion Some dealers will charge you by the book' but don't really go by the book.
    Bob, you are right about some dealers. I am lucky and get to hang out in the service department and help my mechanic when he works on my Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    The first valve check is supposed to be at 6K, then every 12,000 thereafter. (No, I don't agree, but that's the maintenace schedule.) Looks like they let it slide on your 6K service. Both this and the fluid flushing procedures are labor intensive, so the service intervals that include them should cost considerably more than a simple oil change interval.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Yes, you are lucky... my dlr doesnt allow customers to talk to the Techs.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I talked to my dealer about this and his guess was that other dealers might not be doing everything that is called for. After spending so much to buy this bike, I don't want to skip things the engineers at BRP felt should be checked/adjusted. Dealer did say the they often find the valves still within tolerance, but they do have to check them. I'd rather not take short cuts, I want to be able to depend on my bike when I take off on a cross country trip.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I talked to my dealer about this and his guess was that other dealers might not be doing everything that is called for. After spending so much to buy this bike, I don't want to skip things the engineers at BRP felt should be checked/adjusted. Dealer did say the they often find the valves still within tolerance, but they do have to check them. I'd rather not take short cuts, I want to be able to depend on my bike when I take off on a cross country trip.
    I am having the full Monty done at 12K. Why give anyone a chance to use this as a reason in case I have warranty issues down the road. I did have everything done at 6K, by the book and all was good.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't give them an excuse. Besides; peace of mind is worth a lot too!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I agree Mike.

Chris PE# 0004

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The first valve check is supposed to be at 6K, then every 12,000 thereafter. (No, I don't agree, but that's the maintenace schedule.) Looks like they let it slide on your 6K service. Both this and the fluid flushing procedures are labor intensive, so the service intervals that include them should cost considerably more than a simple oil change interval.

I think some are missing this and not realizing the second valve check is at 18,000 miles.
    09 SM5 Phantom

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Actually, you inspect them at 6K miles and adjust at 12K miles, then every 12K miles afterwards you adjust them. This info directly from BRP while in Daytona this year. If, by some strange chance they needed adjusted at your 6K service, then the next adjustment would be at 18K. Mine were fine at the 6K check.

Spyder Garage

Well, you never really would adjust your valves unless they are out of spec. It is always an inspection...followed by a valve adjustment, when and if necessary. What the folks at Daytona said makes no sense. If it was the marketing/demo folks, I would not hang my hat on it unless they could show a service bulletin to that effect.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Well, you never really would adjust your valves unless they are out of spec. It is always an inspection...followed by a valve adjustment, when and if necessary. What the folks at Daytona said makes no sense. If it was the marketing/demo folks, I would not hang my hat on it unless they could show a service bulletin to that effect.
    Actually, they were just quoting the service manual, which states to inspect at 6k and adjust every 12k. I asked them since I knew it was coming up soon and wanted to know if it was at 12 or 18K. Got the same answer from my dealer here a few days ago. Also heard that they have not had to adjust any till high mileage. I cant remember the miles, but I believe it was Docs spyder.