Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horrible Squeal

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Horrible Squeal

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. This video is with the Spyder in neutral, with my just slowly rolling the Spyder backwards in my garage. I have asked my dealer to address this a couple of times, with no resolution.

Any info or thoughts would be appreciated!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFdOKWd9bkM[/ame]

In case it matters, this is a 2008 model, that has had impeccable maintenance.

Thanks,

Karla

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wink

That sounds like (To me) it is the rear brake. I had that as well... The time it happens to me is after a wash or driving it in the rain the day before.

If it is consistent (Never goes away) I would suggest that you have your dealer check it out and reduce the tension on the parking brake and see if that helps.

Spyder Garage

Default Ah, the Dreaded Rear Brake Squeal

My '08 does the exact same thing every once in a while. My dealer would clean off the rear brake rotor and it would go away for a while, now I clean it off myself when it starts doing it.

Very embarrassing when backing out of a parking lot stall, isn't it?

Hope this helps!

3TRACS
    Happy Former-Spyder owner!
    2008 SM5 PE# 3518 / Intense Blue Pearl (sold 2014)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have had the brakes worked on over and over, and they have even been replaced under waranty/recall last spring. The parking brake has also been adjusted/fixed over and over. Something somewhere is rubbing, or there wouldn't be anything to make the noise.

I'm not worried about it from a safety standpoint, but it just is really embarrassing! It's not exactly the best way for a Spyder to be represented to the riding community...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

It's not "once in a while"- it's everytime...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kural View Post
    In that case, I agree with IWN2RYD and it's probably a parking brake issue. My dealer did adjust mine a year ago, and I don't have the constant noise anymore... just have to clean the rotor every couple of weeks.

Good luck!
    Happy Former-Spyder owner!
    2008 SM5 PE# 3518 / Intense Blue Pearl (sold 2014)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have the same thing..every time and let it sit this way for sometime. Dealer looked at it..cleaned off the pads and it came back a few weeks later. It is something about the wear on the two pads. If I put some older pads one, does not happen. Going to tear it down this weekend to fix it. If you notice, take you back brake off..it does not do it at all. I even had the barrings replaced just in case but that did not fix it. If you have enough miles on the pads, just replace them and it will go away.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kural View Post
    It's the rear brake, quite a few 08 made noise,[mine included] but yours seems worst. Unless your dealer is new to the buissnuss he should know about the updates, and especially the 3th gen brake pads.

Spyder Garage

The fix is to remove the caliper pins that hold the brake pads,I found with mine a wear groove occurs and the pads no longer float on the pins like there suppose to for self alignment on the rotor.You can replace the worn pins or what I did was smooth the pins out with some emery paper then applied a small amount of anti-seize careful not to get it on the rotor or pad.While the pads are out purchase some anti-squeek for brakes and apply it to the back of the pad where the caliper piston contacts it.I have done mine once and have not heard the squeel return in 7500 miles.

arntufun

I have an 08 myself, same thing happens every time !!! My dealer can't figure it out either.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    I have an 08 myself, same thing happens every time !!! My dealer can't figure it out either.
    Ask the dealer to order the gen 3 pads: free parts (return the old pads), free install (see BRP bulletin).

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    Ask the dealer to order the gen 3 pads: free parts (return the old pads), free install (see BRP bulletin).
    They won't do it. I showed them the bulletin and they said, "It's only a bulletin not a recall so we can not honor that. Tell me that is not a bunch of . But there is a ton of pad left, so I can't justify paying to have it done yet. I wish I had a dealer like yours near me. It might be just me, but IMO, comparable knowledge and service should not waver between dealers. You should not be able to tell the difference between any BRP dealers establishment.

Spyder Garage

They won't do it. I showed them the bulletin and they said, "It's only a bulletin not a recall so we can not honor that. Tell me that is not a bunch of . But there is a ton of pad left, so I can't justify paying to have it done yet. I wish I had a dealer like yours near me. It might be just me, but IMO, comparable knowledge and service should not waver between dealers. You should not be able to tell the difference between any BRP dealers establishment.
    Call Carlos!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Same - not every time with my 2010 RS-S, but still annoying. I guess by waiting for 2 years I get only half the squeaks. HEY! 2012 models ....rumor has it will be squeak free in reverse. DPS will still need to be done though including the new " leaning model " due the following year.

Spyder Garage

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    Call Carlos!
    Who is Carlos ???

Free Thinking Member
    Spyder Garage

Lightly ride your brakes while backing up. No more squeak.

Spyder Garage

Default rear brake squeal

Quote Originally Posted by Just Doo Me View Post
    The fix is to remove the caliper pins that hold the brake pads,I found with mine a wear groove occurs and the pads no longer float on the pins like there suppose to for self alignment on the rotor.You can replace the worn pins or what I did was smooth the pins out with some emery paper then applied a small amount of anti-seize careful not to get it on the rotor or pad.While the pads are out purchase some anti-squeek for brakes and apply it to the back of the pad where the caliper piston contacts it.I have done mine once and have not heard the squeel return in 7500 miles.
    Carlo authorized a new rotor because the other was glazed. Installed 3rd gen pads. I paid for the pads to be installed. The new pads come with new pins. Almost completely eliminated the squeal. Will happen sometimes after the bike has been sitting for a day or two. Then goes away. Neighbors are now a happy lot.

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by MMcc View Post
    Carlo authorized a new rotor because the other was glazed. Installed 3rd gen pads. I paid for the pads to be installed. The new pads come with new pins. Almost completely eliminated the squeal. Will happen sometimes after the bike has been sitting for a day or two. Then goes away. Neighbors are now a happy lot.
    So even if I get the gen 3 pads and new rotors this still could happen ???
    . There has to be a cure out there somewhere !!! Lets all hope Arctic Cat will make a Spyder someday ???

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT-SM5 does it while I manually roll it backwards, and only occasionally in reverse. I have a 3K maint. appt. next weekend; and this is one of the issues to be addressed. I'm curious to see what the results will be...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Wow, thanks you guys- this is good information and I will inquire as to which generation I have on my brakes. Since I have had this checked/worked on over and over, I was told that even though I am now out of original warranty, that this would be treated as such in the future (which is now), since it's all related/ongoing.

Interesting to hear this is a fairly common problem.

My dealer is pretty good, but I sent him this video link via email and got zero response

I will say this surely does not keep me from riding and I feel perfectly safe. To be honest, I think it bothers my husband more than me, since to me I don't view it as a safety issue...

-Karla

Spyder Garage

Who is Carlos ???
    It's actually Carlo. This explains who he is:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=10017

He's basically the go to guy when your dealer is unable or unwilling to help. You start with an e-mail and he will call you; I would say in usually a week. Carlo is a pretty busy guy.

The above link contains his e-mail address.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Pull the pins out and lube them and put Disk Brake Quiet on back of pads. Usually good for about 2 months. I had the 3rd gens put on both spyders and haven't had to use it yet. I didn't get enough miles on the bikes before putting it away, to see if it is gone completely.

Last edited by Justin; 03-20-2011 at 12:09 PM.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Pull the pins out and lube them with Disk Brake Quiet. Usually good for about 2 months. I had the 3rd gens put on both spyders and haven't had to use it yet. I didn't get enough miles on the bikes before putting it away, to see if it is gone completely.

No, no, no, no, no, no, no! Disc Brake Quiet is to be installed on the back of the pads. The pins are lubed with caliper grease. Reading the instructions is always helpful.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Just Doo Me View Post
    Same thing happens to me as well. Rather annoying. However, this sounds like the fix to me. Nice job Sir!