Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default where to put ugly inspection sticker?

Anyone have any experiences with this?- I have a beautiful VIPER RED Spyder and don;t want my trike marred!!!!!!!! Thanks ALL!!!I WANTA RIDE SOON!!!!
    JOAN IN VA

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

We don't have inspection stickers for anything, but I put my blue HC sticker on the lower plexi deflector...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by JoanJenn View Post
    Anyone have any experiences with this?- I have a beautiful VIPER RED Spyder and don;t want my trike marred!!!!!!!! Thanks ALL!!!I WANTA RIDE SOON!!!!
    JOAN IN VA
    I am assuming that your inspection sticker gets attached to the red body work of your spyder. When I attached the trail sticker to my snowmobile I use 3M sign vinyl. I cut the 3m sign vinyl the same shape as the trail sticker and then put the sign vinyl on the body work first and then put the trail sticker on top of the sign vinyl. Since the sign vinyl is suppose to come off with a hair dryer the inspection sticker will come off too. The only residue that I have found is a bit of vinyl glue left over that comes off easy.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

New Jersey did away with MC inspections last AUG. But when we did have them it was mandated as to where the sticker gos.
    I'm surprised Va doesn't mandate a place to put it?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

New York has inspection stickers... I stuck mine on the left lower A-arm...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

i fix it on the front-shocks ..left and right (for the highway-use)
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

It's pretty much state specific, so you don't have a lot of leeway here. The station that does your inspection should be able to put it on in the right location. Unfortunately, it not going to look good no matter where they put it.
    ".........regrets are only memories written across my brow, and there's nothing I can do about it now......" Wille Nelson

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Texas requires the inspection sticker to be placed below the license plate on the rear so the dealer usually provides a small plate that mounts on the license plate mounting and the sticker attaches to it. I have a nicer looking stainless steel plate that I will replace the dealer's plate with when I have the RT inspected in April.

Oh, by the way, the whole inspection sticker concept is, in my opinion, a ripoff. But it's even more so in the case of motorcycles in Texas since any inspection station can inspect motorcycles. Most inspectors don't ride so about all they can check is that the headlights, tail lights, brake lights, and horn works. I've had bikes inspected where the inspector asked me to show him that the brakes worked by stopping it at a certain point but I'm sure that at most stations I could literally ride a bike in which had no brakes whatsoever on it and ride out with a sticker.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

California has smog check only and no stickers needed. The test is input to the state records and lets you get your sticker. New vehicles have an age requirement before requiring an inspection. One good point for CA.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

JOAN IN VA
    I'm also from VA and the dealer attached the inspection sticker on the black plastic left hand water deflector (just below the left middle panel covering the oil tank / dip stick). I've also seen two other RTs in VA with it in the same location.

Spyder Garage

I'm in Va as well. I made a thin metal plate and mounted it to the black panel below the passengers foot peg on the left hand side. Then placed the inspection sticker to the metal plate. Works great no problems.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SeaBreeze View Post
    I'm in Va as well. I made a thin metal plate and mounted it to the black panel below the passengers foot peg on the left hand side. Then placed the inspection sticker to the metal plate. Works great no problems.
    Didn't know the RT had any "black panel" below the passenger's adjustable foot rest. My RTS has a silver cast alum. foot rest support along the bottom sides.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    New Jersey did away with MC inspections last AUG. But when we did have them it was mandated as to where the sticker gos.
    I'm surprised Va doesn't mandate a place to put it?
    Thanks all, I have bought a plate and will take it tomorrow to get the deed done--- maybe I;ll see you all some time- hope so!! Joan Va does say on the front forks- kinda hard to locate on the Spyder!!!! HA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Up here in Maine we have had inspection stickers for years but we carried them with the registration. Last year they came up with the idea of having them attached to the bike instead. They figured that very few people were having their bikes inspected. Now the problem is they can't decide where to attach them. The motorcycle community was not happy with their first suggestion On The Rear Fender. Can you imagine a custom paint job with an inspection sticker on it. You can imagine where they were told to put their stickers.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rogerb View Post
    Up here in Maine we have had inspection stickers for years but we carried them with the registration. Last year they came up with the idea of having them attached to the bike instead. They figured that very few people were having their bikes inspected. Now the problem is they can't decide where to attach them. The motorcycle community was not happy with their first suggestion On The Rear Fender. Can you imagine a custom paint job with an inspection sticker on it. You can imagine where they were told to put their stickers.
    On their rear.....er, fender?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

in PA its on the left side viewable. was on my shock but with aftermarkets shocks went to on the left A Arm. watch the surface is rough finish so make sure its clean so sticker will stay on. or mechanic recommended lower left back under the passenger foot boards on the plastic lower finish...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    On their rear.....er, fender?
    On or up?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    New York has inspection stickers... I stuck mine on the left lower A-arm...
    My Spyder is registered in NY. I got them to place the inspection sticker under the frunk lid (only visible when open ... of which I need to do to retrive my ins. info.). My second preference is on the driver side of the rear wheel lower arm.
    Last edited by M2Wild; 03-16-2011 at 08:40 AM.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

JOAN IN VA
    Here is where it's usually put here in VA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

here is the A Arm install. did not want to mess up the works performance shocks so moved from orig location ON the OEM shock to the A Arm as shown below

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Does the sticker have to be visible at all times? If not, can you put it on the Spyder's pull-out safety checklist panel above the instruments? (You know...the one we all read every tine we're about to go for a ryde )
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

In VA is is supposed to ve readily visible. Any inspection station or dealer can best tell you the answer as they are required to know this and are checked by the State Police regularly.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M2Wild View Post
    On or up?

My Spyder is registered in NY. I got them to place the inspection sticker under the frunk lid (only visible when open ... of which I need to do to retrive my ins. info.). My second preference is on the driver side of the rear wheel lower arm.
    Under the frunk lid... That's worth investigating!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I live in N.Y. and the dealer put the sticker on the left upper A-Arm.
    Last edited by baldman902; 03-17-2011 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Change place of inspection sticker

Spyder Garage

here is where i put mine

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

where did you get that plate? i like that idea? how much was the plate? is that bolt already there and you just reattached with the plate installed?