Thread: Tire repair

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Tire repair

Just got through plugging my rear tire after a battle of peek a boo from an apparent glass cut. Would this be considered a permanent repair?
    Also, the Slime type sealants, there seems to be two schools of thought on them. A tire dealer told me yesterday don't use it unless you have to because they can corrode aluminum rims. Some use them prophylactically. Whats the straight scoop?
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default tire repair

my opinion, GET A NEW TIRE, is it worth the chance in the event of a blow out. ya , itz done all the time but man you are on a bike. Just my 2 cents worth.. P.S. I drive for a living.

Spyder Garage

The only good view of a thunderstorm is in your rearview mirror.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't know about Ride On, but read the warning on slime; do not exceed 45 mph. [might trow the tire out of balance]
    About plugs how many miles on the tire, If you have more than a few thousand miles replace it,
    If the tire is relatively new i would monitor it closely. I got a flat on my VTX1800 with less than 2 hundred miles on it, plugged it and ran it for another 65 hundred miles. IF the plug it done right it will hold.
    The key word's are if ''DONE RIGHT''

Spyder Garage

First, a question...are you running the Kenda Spyder tire or an automotive replacement?

Kenda motorcycle-rated tire:
    These tires have a thinner tread, which may not hold a repair well. On a conventional motorcycle tire, it is not recommended to run a plug more than 50 miles or so...just long enough to get to a shop with a replacement tire. The thin treads will not hold the repair for very long...the plug will work itself loose. The Spyder tire has a flat tread, is thicker, and is more like a car tire. It will hold a repair better, depending on the location. Some owners have run them until the tires wore out. A cut, instead of a round puncture, will not hold as well. I'd monitor the tire pressure closely for a while. If it holds air, fine...if not, replace the tire.

Automotive tire:
    An automotive tire should hold a repair well, in the tread area. There is more meat and belt to hold the plug...and less movement. Still, a cut is harder to seal. Monitor the pressure, and run it if it doesn't leak.

Slime:
    Slime will definitely corrode either alloy or steel rims. Ride-On, on the other hand, is formulated to inhibit corrosion. It is definitely a better product...especially for aluminum rim use. BTW, Spyder rims are powder coated, so corrosion is probably less of an issue. I still would never use Slime, except maybe in a tractor tire. The tire changer will cuss you out if he has to change a Slimed tire. I would not hesitate to use Ride-On, however.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    Just got through plugging my rear tire after a battle of peek a boo from an apparent glass cut. Would this be considered a permanent repair?
    Also, the Slime type sealants, there seems to be two schools of thought on them. A tire dealer told me yesterday don't use it unless you have to because they can corrode aluminum rims. Some use them prophylactically. Whats the straight scoop?
    I have had two flats on the rear tire (4th tire now). Like you, I plugged the leaks. I didn't replace the tire until I had too.

Spyder Garage

Thank you Tony (long time no see), Scotty, et al. For info I have the stock rear with less than 1500 miles on it. For now I'll just keep on eye on the pressure. Don't you wish they would outlaw glass containers for the safety of the traveling public? Darn idiots out there..
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

I rode over 5,000 miles on a plugged tire. Maybe I shouldn't have, but I did and never had an issue. I watched my pressure and never had any trouble.

I now use Ride-On, it both balances and helps prevent problems with punctures. You really need to go to their website and do some reading. It is not Slime or Fix-a-Flat. It is a completely different product, do not confuse them.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

Default Stop 'n Go Tubless tire plugger

I recommend that you take a look at this very handy puncture repair kit for tubeless motorcycle tires:

http://www.stopngo.com/products/vide...etplugger.html
    Another Very Happy Owner X 2 ...
    "The Only Thing That Need Happen For Evil To Prevail Is For Good Men To Do Nothing"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jornie1 View Post
    I recommend that you take a look at this very handy puncture repair kit for tubeless motorcycle tires:

http://www.stopngo.com/products/vide...etplugger.html
    Thats quite a kit.
    Happy Spyder Owner