Spyder Garage

Default RT HAVE ENOUGH POWER?

PUTTING UP GOLDWING 1800 UP FOR SALE. LOOKING AT 2010 RT-S HAVEN'T
    RIDDEN ONE ON HIGHWAY YET. PLEASE ADVISE DOES THE RT HAVE THE POWER TWO UP AND ENOUGH SPEED? HAVE A GREAT DEAL ON THR RT WAITING ,BUT ON THE FENCE . SOUNDS LIKE YOU SPYDER FOLKS LIVE AND DIE BY THEM. PLEASE CONVINCE ME THIS IS THE THING TO DO.
    SOARING HAWK

Spyder Garage

The Spyder has plenty of power, not an abundance, but enough to do the job. It is a very different kind of power than what you are used to, however. The bottom end torque is not there, like on your GW. You need to keep the revs up. A test ride is a very good idea, to see if it suits you.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder RT-S Power

Plenty ...

Toured from Maryland down to Spyders in the Smokies (SITS) last year. Sufficient time on I-81 and I-40 to tell you that you can comfortably cruise in the mid-high seventies ... pass in the mid-eighties. Hwy mpg -- 32-34 (at least for me at my weight). RT-S is about 227 pounds heavier than the RS, but gets the same; sometimes better mileage, depending on RS mods. I myself am not too hot on engine and fuel mods. I've not seen one that ups mileage; quite the reverse actually.

Nancy's Toy is right; it is a high-rev engine. Highway cruising is in the 4-5K range (engine is happy there). Two-up no problem at all ... From reports I've read, two-up AND trailer ... no problem at all. RT--S weight is about the same as your wing, but much lighter than a GW trike.

I'm at 6400 miles and still love it. Seating position is more comfortable than a Wing with standard pegs, and will be even better when I put on my Corbin-RT seat. Ride is very cush.

It isn't a Wing, so I'd clear the mind and not compare. It is a completely different vehicle with different characteristics. As with a wing, one must love the Spyder for what she is.

~ Surfer

Spyder Garage

Default GOING FOR IT

THANKS, I WISH I COULD TEST RIDE BUT 4" SNOW TODAY AND FREEZING RAIN NO DEALERS WILL TEST DRIVE TILL SALT IS OFF THE ROADS.
    I'LL JUST HAVE TO BY THE RT-S AND GO FOR IT!

Spyder Garage

I rode over 40 years on 2 wheels. The Spyder came at the right time. I was tired of wrestling the heavy weights (I am only 150 pounds, wife 125) so the combined weight was over 1000 pounds. In 2009 we did a tour around the US borders and some parts of Canada on our 2008 SE5. We now own a 2010 RT. We will never go back to any 2 wheeler, no matter what. But, like someone posted, the Spyder is not a GoldWing (I owned 2). My thoughts are that when someone buys a Spyder and tries to compare it to any other bike, then he/she tends to lessen the joy of the Spyder. This machine is like no other. There is NO comparison, IMO.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I went from an 07 Wing to a Spyder, and it's exactly as the others have said. The power is good enough for me to burn the rear tire in 1st gear, just hammering the throttle at 3-4000 RPM. The power when cruising is just fine. However, since it is a modified sport bike engine the bottom end is just not there. I have a manual transmission and found that I have to engage the clutch much slower than I'm used to so I don't kill the engine. That's the only spot where the engine lacks. Once you get it moving it's great.
    I would say that the automatic would get away from the lack of bottom end, and might be easier to drive when running heavy in stop & go traffic.
    John

2010 Spyder RT-S
    2010 Yamaha vMax
    2009 Yamaha vMax Dragbike, 284 RWHP 171# RWTQ
    2004 Yamaha vMax Supercharged
    1993 Yamaha GTS1000
    1999 Shelby Series 1 Supercharged
    1969 Camaro 502/T56
    1967 Shelby TransAm Mustang
    1966 427 Shelby Street Cobra
    1965 289 Shelby Street Cobra
    1965 427 Shelby Comp Cobra
    1964 289 Shelby Comp Cobra
    Way Too Many Others

Spyder Garage

Default From Goldwings to Batwings . . .

Quote Originally Posted by soaring hawk View Post
    RIDDEN ONE ON HIGHWAY YET. PLEASE ADVISE DOES THE RT HAVE THE POWER TWO UP AND ENOUGH SPEED? HAVE A GREAT DEAL ON THR RT WAITING ,BUT ON THE FENCE . SOUNDS LIKE YOU SPYDER FOLKS LIVE AND DIE BY THEM. PLEASE CONVINCE ME THIS IS THE THING TO DO.
    SOARING HAWK
    Cat and I logged a lot of miles on a Suzi 1500 V, and the RT seems like a hot rod next to that. . . . the Goldwing is hard to beat for torque/power and refinement, but the RT SE5 is like a European sports car vs and American muscle car; when in doubt, down shift and let it rev. Going through a tunnel lets you hear the true nature of the engine with sound that is like a v-twin sports bike. We have almost 17K on the RT in less than a year, and most of that is curved roads. Even at 9000+ altitude in the Cascades, there was more than enough power to get er done. This is the first time in 44 years that there isn't a motorcycle parked in the garage, but I sold the Suzi since she was just sitting there gathering dust . . . she had almost 80K miles on her, good old bike. The Spyder has expanded our riding season a great deal; I comute to work in the 30's as long as there isn't any ice on the road, and the fear of loosing my two wheeler in a turn due to the sand they put on our roads for ice is gone. Hope you have a chance to ride one soon; Spyders are really different from a bike, but the freedom and 'wind in your face' feeling we all love is there in droves. If anything, the Spyders (we have a RS also) have put a major dose of fun factor back in our riding.
    Vaughn
    Spyder Cat's other half
    Passing thru Southern Oregon? Come ryde with us SOreSpyders@yahoo.com

2010 RT-SE5 PE#783
    Mods: Corbin Custom Seat & passenger arm rests; Elka Shocks, RT622 trailer, and lots and lots of gas. . . . and did I mention, a new rear tire?
    2010 RS , custom home made billet Red/Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by soaring hawk View Post
    SOARING HAWK
    Hawk, I have GW Motor Trike....18K on two wheels and 40K on the trike. Will never go back to two wheels. I am an old guy, but gotta have a RT-S before I go to the big BX in the sky. I did ride a RT-S, both manual and auto (ordered the SE5). It is different than a two or three wheel Wing. It runs, but you have to work the gears and rpms much higher than your Wing. At 3,000 rpm, the Wing is running 70 mph....I think I remember 70 was about 5-5500 rpm on the auto demo. It was a fun machine. I think one of the most important things with me and the Wing (and Spyder) is I don't have to worry about sand on the road...(west Texas) or rain/wet streets. The Wing has more torque and at lower rpm. It is a different machine and will take some time to get use to it. All who post here seem to like their Spyders. Enjoy

Last edited by Mr. White; 02-20-2011 at 11:02 PM.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

I have a GL1800 & two Spyders (GS & RT). Since power is the subject of your question, I'll tell you that you may be disappointed. Yes, the RT has enough power to run the interstate, but you'll wish you had more throttle when accelerating, at least I do. I love the RT & am glad I have it, but am also glad I have the Wing.

Different rides & both please.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

soaring hawk

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

and !! Having gone through three Wings (two 1500's and an 1800) and a Harley Ultra Classic, you're making the right move, to be sure! The RT is the most comfortable touring machine I've ever driven. Perhaps not the most powerful, but if I wanted spunk, I'd have gone with an RS, but I wanted a touring machine and the RT-S fit the bill to a tee. Again, congrats on your decision and hope to meet you on the road. Keep us posted on how things go!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    I have a GL1800 & two Spyders (GS & RT). Since power is the subject of your question, I'll tell you that you may be disappointed. Yes, the RT has enough power to run the interstate, but you'll wish you had more throttle when accelerating, at least I do. I love the RT & am glad I have it, but am also glad I have the Wing.

My RT had the TwoBros Racing pipe when I bought it and I have since added the TBR JuiceBox Pro to even things out. If I had any more acceleration, I would need help hanging onto the thing! Mine runs like a rocket at every speed. Last bike was a V-Strom and I never rode a Wing but I sure do enjoy the RT !

Spyder Garage

My perspective is quite different - I'm 6'4", & my bride is 5'11". I had a GW1200, & 1500, but hated the 1800 as way too small - so we opted for a K1200LT. IMHO, the LT was the best all around tourer, but spendy to maintain. Our current RT S, is my bride's all time favorite, & it will comfortably take us any where we want to go, and as fast as we want to go.

The only similarity between any of the two wheelers and a Spyder is the wind in your hair.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Similar experiences for me. Never had a Gold Wing because I am to short to feel comfortable with it. Had a 1984 Yamaha Venture which I drove for 3 years and had the last year's model (2004?) of the "old style" Kawasaki Voyager, which I drove for 1 year. The Voyager was a bit of a handful for me, so I moved on to a 1500 Nomad. Now that I have owned three Spyders, I believe the RTS is the best touring bike I have ridden of all the bikes I have owned (20+). I am not a "power" person, so I feel the power in the RTS is sufficient for two up riding, long distances. I will be interested though if BRP comes up with a bigger size "touring engine" for the Rotax. I would like the power to be there, but crusing at RPM's that are lower, as well as a quieter ride. I would like to hear the radio without the volume cranked way up. Just .02 and my opinion of what I would like to see.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-21-2011 at 02:57 PM.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Different strokes for different folks???

Chris PE# 0004

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    The only similarity between any of the two wheelers and a Spyder is the wind in your hair.
    and welcome!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

"when in doubt, down shift and let it rev."

Well said,VaughnCat.This engine shines up high.I seldom use 5th gear unless I'm doing 75-80 MPH. It runs smoother up high as well.

Play Safe!!!

2010 RT.

Spyder Garage

Steve

Invalid Emails
    Hampton On (Summer) Miramar Beach Fl (Winter)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post

I Agree !!! RT needs more torque. A 4 cyl and more displacement will help !!! A lot of weight to push not to mention the massive front end to cut through the wind.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

(Now we're getting into design parameters...)
    A four cylinder engine is going to weigh more and take up more space... Aren't these bikes big enough already?
    Now a displacement increase...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    (Now we're getting into design parameters...)
    A four cylinder engine is going to weigh more and take up more space... Aren't these bikes big enough already?
    Now a displacement increase...
    There's no replacement for displacement.

To keep on subject, I've yet to own anything that had "enough" power. More is always better.