Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead Red

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Dead Red

Here's a topic I've never seen before on this forum: What do you do at the red light that refuses to change.

I spotted this article in Facebook (BTW, who has the most Spyder friends on FB), http://www.bikerspost.com/forum/topi...ts-seek-to-run

I have signals near my house that refuses to cooperate. Sometimes I weave over the sensors under the road (most of the times you can see where the asphalt/cement has been cut...usually 2 or 3 in a row), in an effort to "make myself big". Sometimes it works.

I have heard of some bikers putting metal plates or magnets under their bikes.
    Anybody have suggestions.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have a magnet mounted under my Spyder which is suppose to trigger the light. Bought it at JC Whitney. It doesn't work in every situation. I'm forced to run the red lights cautiously.

Spyder Garage

I too havd come across this problem a time or two. I had a gentleman from the city come with me to the problem intersections an view and adjust. What he said is that ours are set to "pulse" not magnet. And for me to stop about a meter from the linr and that has helped a bit but i still sometimes run the red.
    2008 SM5, F1 EvoIII slide, Hindle, Race Air Flow System, O2 Delete, Fuel Pressure Modfier, Powerbus System, BRP 6 Spoke, 12V power supply x2, 1" Handel Bar Riser, CompuStar Alarm System w/pager, Mono Seat Cover, Brake Caliper Trim, Trunk Liner, Outdoor Cover, Carbon Fiber SM5 Handelbar Inserts, Carbon Fiber Tank Knee Pads, TBR Juice Box.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

There is a specific product designed for this. It is sold at A&S and Sierra BMW among others. The name escapes me for the moment.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    Here's a topic I've never seen before on this forum: What do you do at the red light that refuses to change.

I spotted this article in Facebook (BTW, who has the most Spyder friends on FB), http://www.bikerspost.com/forum/topi...ts-seek-to-run

I have signals near my house that refuses to cooperate. Sometimes I weave over the sensors under the road (most of the times you can see where the asphalt/cement has been cut...usually 2 or 3 in a row), in an effort to "make myself big". Sometimes it works.

I have heard of some bikers putting metal plates or magnets under their bikes.
    Anybody have suggestions.
    You can install a Green Light Trigger that should help.

In Michigan I believe the law states we can go through them after the light cycles two times without letting you through -- at least that's what I've done.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

I work on automatic gates and automatic doors for a living.

Most gates and traffic light use the same technology. There is a "loop" either cut in or buried under the road when a vehicle drives over it a signal goes to the loop control which then sends the signal to the main computer.

We normally have issues with smaller new cars(the ones made of plastic ie. prius). The more medal the better. In most cases there is a sensitivity adjustment that can be made.

Of course there is nothing you can do other then stay to the middle of the lane. If you can back up about a cars length and try again.

Good Luck

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

One of the two stop lights in my town has the change sensor,and it's on a slight hill i just clutch roll back a little move forward a little and the light changes [most times]
    But in Jersey if light doesn't change because your vehicle won't trip it, Than when its safe to do so you can proceed through.
    Now if a Cop see you doing it ; It becomes a tricky judgement call.

Spyder Garage

I just turn right, proceed until I can make a turn to get back in the direction I need. Otherwise I just wait until a car drives up behind me and trips the light. I have never proceeded on a ride light that doesn't change.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom888 View Post
    I work on automatic gates and automatic doors for a living.

Most gates and traffic light use the same technology. There is a "loop" either cut in or buried under the road when a vehicle drives over it a signal goes to the loop control which then sends the signal to the main computer.

We normally have issues with smaller new cars(the ones made of plastic ie. prius). The more medal the better. In most cases there is a sensitivity adjustment that can be made.

Of course there is nothing you can do other then stay to the middle of the lane. If you can back up about a cars length and try again.

Good Luck

I'm confused. Plastic Prius? Mine (2007) only has plastic front and rear bumpers, like other cars. All other body panels are metal. I've never had an issue with a traffic light, either. Maybe they have changed things with the 'new' 2010 design?

Of course, I've yet to have a problem at lights with the Spyder. Maybe I've been fortunate.

Spyder Garage

It mainly depends on how the sensitivity is set and how deep the loop is.

It might be the amount of metal on the smaller vehicles.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    I just turn right, proceed until I can make a turn to get back in the direction I need. Otherwise I just wait until a car drives up behind me and trips the light. I have never proceeded on a ride light that doesn't change.
    I think what we're talking about is being in the left turn lane when the light doesn't go off. Once you're in the left turn lane there's no changing your mind (or lanes) --- legally. I proceed through the light with caution at the correct time-- after the light has 'refused' to change--- the next time I typically go through it.

I guess you have to pick which law you want to break-- changing lanes after you're in the turn lane or running the light.--- but I do think we can legally run the light under such circumstances (at least in Michigan)-- I just can't find the law on the books to back that up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
    I'm forced to run the red lights cautiously.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Wink

I have this issue but have an advantage... Kind of... Here if you come to a red light and wait an appropriate amount of time... And no cars are coming in either direction we can use the red light as if it was a stop sign.

Sadly only if you are turning right can we come to a stop, and legally turn when other vehicles are present (I am speaking of two + lanes that allow for turning to the right when green).

Other than that I wait.... and wait... and wait... And decide what my new route will be from now on and stay away from that signal if possible

I have read a lot of folks trying the electronic assist... But not many are happy for very long with them
    Last edited by IWN2RYD; 02-11-2011 at 12:54 PM.
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

I do the same. If I am in the left turn lane, and stopping over the cut where the loop is doesn't help, I back up and move to the right lane for a turn. If there is a vehicle behind me, I move up as far as possible and motion for the driver to pull up close behind me to trigger the sensor.

Unlike Firefly, I do not believe Michigan law allows a motorcycle to proceed if the light doesn't change...although such may have been proposed at some time. To the best of my knowledge, only SC, NC, WI, ID, TN, and MN have such laws. PA and CO have something similar, allowing the signal to be treated as a four-way stop if the signal malfunctions. MO, OK, and GA had "proceed on red" laws pending a couple of years ago, that may be in effect by this time.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I did a google on the question and there are several articles on the subject. Here's one: http://www.wikihow.com/Trigger-Green-Traffic-Lights
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here in New York we can make a right turn on red after yielding right of way to any vehicles that are currently in that lane.
    But run a red light?? That's asking for too much attention from the boys in blue...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Oklahoma Red Light Law

The Red Light law in Oklahoma was passed and implemented 11-1-2010. You may proceed iif the light does not trigger. Also if we report a sensor not triggering, it will be adjusted. I have a "Strong" magnet the size of a regular domino under the frame. No problems, if I stay over the left sensor wire. But this is Oklahoma!

Spyder Garage

For those in Ohio:

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/districts...dScooters.aspx

News Release
    OHIO DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
    District 10 • 338 Muskingum Drive • Marietta, Ohio 45750 • http://www.dot.state.oh.us/Districts/D10

ODOT improving Traffic Signal Safety for Motorcycles and Scooters

COLUMBUS (April 29, 2009) - As more Ohioans choose motorcycles and scooters as their primary means of transportation in warmer weather, the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) is taking special steps to ensure their safety at intersections across the state.

Over the past several months, ODOT has worked closely with the American Motorcycle Association to target automated traffic signals that are not sensitive enough to recognize when a motorcycle or scooter is waiting for a light to change. Frustrated bikers or the drivers in cars behind them may choose to run the red light, putting them and other motorists at serious risk.

Last year there were 60 intersection-related motorcycle fatalities, representing nearly a third of all motorcycle fatalities in Ohio.

To enlist the help of Ohio’s motorcyclists, ODOT has set up a special phone number - (614) 387-0722 - and email address - bike.report@dot.state.oh.us - for motorcyclists to report these problem intersections.

ODOT will then notify signal owners - often a city or county - about the problem and offer recommendations, such as increasing the sensitivity of the in-ground loop detectors which trigger the signal. Another possible solution is to paint symbols on the pavement where motorcyclists should stop to activate the loop detector.

ODOT will update the state’s construction specifications later this summer to improve traffic signal safety at future intersections. Any new signals that are paid for using federal or state transportation money will be required to follow the updated specifications, which will include improved layout and sensitivity requirements for loop detectors.

With the riding season now underway, ODOT is joining the Ohio Department of Public Safety and the Ohio Highway Patrol on a new campaign to improve motorcycle safety. "Ride SMART" encourages motorcyclists to ride Sober; ride Motorcycle endorsed; ride Alert; use the Right gear; and ride Trained.

Motorcycle fatalities have increased 35 percent over the last three years on Ohio’s roads, from 133 fatalities in 2004 to 214 fatalities in 2008.

ODOT will display motorcycle safety messages on highway message boards in Columbus, Cincinnati, and Dayton over the next several weeks during weeknights and weekends.

Motorcyclists can get up-to-date road closure and construction information by visiting www.buckeyetraffic.org, ODOT’s 24-hour online source for state roadway and traffic conditions.

###

To seamlessly link Ohio’s highways, railways, transit, aviation and port facilities, the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) will promote a world-class, integrated multi-modal transportation system that is cost-efficient, effective and reliable for all of the state’s citizens, businesses and travelers. ODOT District 10 serves Ohio’s multi-modal transportation needs in Athens, Gallia, Hocking, Meigs, Monroe, Morgan, Noble, Vinton & Washington Counties.

For more information, contact David Rose at (740) 568-3904, District 10 Office of Communications.

2009 Yellow SM5 with BRP R35 saddlebags, CHAD windshield, ESI Up & Out Mirror Extensions, ESI 4" Handlebar Risers, Hindle muffler, Green Filter, Juice Box Pro, Throttlemeister, Crampbuster, Cortech Sport Tailbag, trunk liner, trunk spring, 12V trunk outlet, Eastern Beaver PC8 Fuse Panel, and two dashboard Powerlet outlets.

Certified Huligan
    The user formerly known as GIJoe

Spyder Garage

This works for me too!!
    Bill
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Gulf Coast Spyder Ryders -- look for us in the Ryder Group/Club shortcut on the homepage.

New Ryders always welcome!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Orange View Post
    I usually will give it two cycles and then proceed. A lot of how I will react will be based on the traffic. If it's a busy intersection I'll just wait until somebody pulls up behind me or just turn around if I'm not in any hurry. I have one such known intersection on one of my many routes home. It is convenient that there is also a parking lot on that corner too. I will use that lot but I make sure I stop completely before proceeding.
    I do the same as Orange. I'll try my best to activate the light but after three or more attempts if the traffic is clear I proceed with caution. Thankfully I have only had to do this a couple of times as sooner or later a vehicle will come behind me and presto! It is a bit frustrating though...
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have yet to have this happen on my Spyder, but have on my cage for one stop light that I use to go to work. What I did in the past was I wait two cycles and run it, but since it is 3:45 in the morning there is normally no other vehicles around. I am moving, so it won't matter in a month.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I do the same. If I am in the left turn lane, and stopping over the cut where the loop is doesn't help, I back up and move to the right lane for a turn. If there is a vehicle behind me, I move up as far as possible and motion for the driver to pull up close behind me to trigger the sensor.

Unlike Firefly, I do not believe Michigan law allows a motorcycle to proceed if the light doesn't change...although such may have been proposed at some time. To the best of my knowledge, only SC, NC, WI, ID, TN, and MN have such laws. PA and CO have something similar, allowing the signal to be treated as a four-way stop if the signal malfunctions. MO, OK, and GA had "proceed on red" laws pending a couple of years ago, that may be in effect by this time.

Yep, you're correct Scotty. In fact, this is something they teach in the motorcycle safety course. I actually carry a copy of the NC law with me, just in case.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

I bought a green-trigger last year - just never installed it yet. It's not an electronic device at all--- it's a magnet about the size of a deck of cards.

I have one that I hit quite often (scotty: going north on Riverside turning west onto Columbia) - which is why I bought the green trigger.

I can't recall where I heard about the 'proceed on red' in Michigan or if I'm just flat out crazy and never heard it! Since I couldn't find it on the books I would err on the side of caution in Michigan.

I've had the same problem at drive-thru windows sometimes too.

Spyder Garage

Default Dead Red Light Law in Missouri

This is the Missouri Law.

SB 368Provides an affirmative defense to bicyclists and motorcyclists who run red lights under certain conditionsSponsor:StoufferLR Number:1891S.02TFiscal Note:1891-02Committee:TransportationLast Action:7/9/2009 - Signed by GovernorJournal Page: Title:Calendar Position:Effective Date:August 28, 2009House Handler:Jones

Full Bill Text|All Actions|Available Summaries|Senate Home Page|List of 2009 Senate Bills
    Current Bill Summary

SB 368 - This act provides that a person operating a motorcycle or bicycle who enters or crosses an intersection controlled by a traffic-control signal against a red light shall have an affirmative defense to that charge if the person establishes all of the following conditions:
    (1) The motorcycle or bicycle has been brought to a complete stop;
    (2) The traffic signal continues to show a red light for an unreasonable time;
    (3) The traffic signal is apparently malfunctioning or, if programmed or engineered to change to a green light only after detecting the approach of a motor vehicle, the signal has apparently failed to detect the arrival of the motorcycle; and
    (4) No motor vehicle or person is approaching on the street or highway to be crossed or entered or is so far away from the intersection that it does not constitute an immediate hazard.

The affirmative defense applies only to a violation for entering or crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic-control signal against a red light and does not provide a defense to any other civil or criminal action.

A similar provision was contained in SB 614 (2007) and SCS/SB 969 (2006).
    This provision is also contained in SS/SCS/SB 239 et al (2007). STEPHEN WITTE

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have the problem with dead red lights at ALL intersections in the town just south of my home. The loops are not marked making it hard to find the best position to stop at. I've been stuck at one light with another M/C and had a car pull up behind us and it still would not change . The M/C and I did make te left turn after about 4 missed lights. If I'm at the light going straight they seem to switch without any problem. It is my understanding that you can not turn left on the red. You have to move over and go straight to find another interstation to make the turn or make the right turn first.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)