Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

I demo'd the 2010 RT-S today and I noticed the engine vibrations were much more noticeable on the RT. I got on my RS to leave and the only really bad vibration was the usual belt vibration (cant wait to get the tensioner). Is this installed on the 2010 RT's? If so I would say it isn't helping too much. Or it is and they would be a nightmare without it!
    "You will never see a bike in front of a therapist's office, because riding is the best therapy there is, skip the shrink, buy a bike!"

Spyder Garage

Well said Ron your simple description did enlighten my understanding, as you said there is movement, is it a problem? Thats what makes this a interesting subject, Doc's points of relieving stress on counter-shaft pulley may be valid by your description, I don't know but it is interesting.

Jim
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Wink

Just wanted to correct myself...

I was thinking about this thread as I was ryding from an appointment to my business... And paid very close attention to vibration(s) at various RPMs...

I stand corrected. I do have vibrations. But in only my feet mainly. I have no noticable vibrations in my hands what-so-ever ( the point of going WOW I have no vibrations off the handle bars sweeeeet)... Nothing to really be concerned about in my seat either.

However around 3700-5200rpms I do have a fairly good amount of vibrations in my feet. Anything above or below those RPMs and either the vibrations are gone or to rapid to notice them to any degree.

So I have to think if anything this anti-vibe system helps our hands only...

BTW... Love the info in this thread. The detail and delivery makes silly knuckleheads like me understand your view quite easily
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IWN2RYD View Post
    Just wanted to correct myself...

I was thinking about this thread as I was ryding from an appointment to my business... And paid very close attention to vibration(s) at various RPMs...

I stand corrected. I do have vibrations. But in only my feet mainly. I have no noticable vibrations in my hands what-so-ever ( the point of going WOW I have no vibrations off the handle bars sweeeeet)... Nothing to really be concerned about in my seat either.

However around 3700-5200rpms I do have a fairly good amount of vibrations in my feet. Anything above or below those RPMs and either the vibrations are gone or to rapid to notice them to any degree.

So I have to think if anything this anti-vibe system helps our hands only...

BTW... Love the info in this thread. The detail and delivery makes silly knuckleheads like me understand your view quite easily
    When you are looking for vibration it really is much more noticeable. I guess like anything else.

Vibration is a wave form, similar to sound (which vibrates the air) or waves on the ocean.

Different mediums will transmit or subdue a certain wave size/frequency differently. In our case there are variables of, thicker metal, thinner metal, and proximity to the engine which all have an effect.

Normally, foot pegs are the worst offenders because they reside very close to the engine and are hard to isolate while retaining the necessary rigidity. I've ridden bikes that could virtually vibrate your foot off the peg at certain RPM's.

Manufacturer's usually put a lot of effort into keeping vibration away from hands and seat as these contact points are more sensitive to vibration. Plus you have the added insulation of rubber soled shoes or boots to help you with the peg issue.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I have to apologize to Batmobile you had a very good question and still is a good question, my short opinion is if time and money allows give this mod a try. After the enjoyable exchange with BajaRon and others I'm confident this would do no harm at all and may help vibes and possibly other issues

I apologize cause we (myself who started it) made this simple thing a technical debate, which has been alot of fun up till we hijacked your thread to the point where its been relocated to shop talk

Oh I may do this also even if it only took 1 pound of lateral load off the countershaft it would be worth it. I feel our counter shaft bearing is at 90% duty cycle now, with mods that increase torque the bearing and pulley are over loaded.

Jim
    Happy Spyder Owner

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I order the parts today (around $100).
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    Hmmm
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    Maybe I should put that in a video episode!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have been looking at BRP's new store online for the parts. http://parts.spyder.brp.com/Index.as..._id=1&siteid=1
    #35 Rubber Mounts $59.99
    #46 Tie Rod Assembly $34.49
    #50 Tie Rod Assembly $46.99
    + Misc. nuts & bolts
    Reasonable enough, but my question is #34 Front Engine Support. It doesn't give a price for it and shows unavailable.

On the 2011 the Support has a flange along the top and side for the Tie Rod's to bolt into and I do not see it on the older models so I am assuming this has to be replaced too.

The Front Engine Support is #34 in both pictures. I went out and looked at mine and it doesn't have the flanges. Anyone know if this Support is available and how much it costs? Or am I looking at this wrong? It is a possibility, wouldn't be the first time. I am still interested in this and I appreciate all the great information presented in this thread.
    09 SM5 Phantom

Spyder Garage

Yes I believe the support would have to be changed also. For the Spyder RS the 2009-2010 P/Ns for the front support is 707000452. The P/N for the 2011 front engine support is 707001072. It looks different on the parts fiche also...
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S