Yesterday, I took delivery of my third new Spyder in 36 months. This may not be what BRP anticipated when they introduced the Spyder. My first Spyder burned. Number 2 and 3 will share the garage from now on. There will be one for touring and one for cruising, more or less. Two Spyders for one rider. This seems right to me.

My new Spyder is a 2011 RT SM5 (basic). Number 2 is a 2009 GS/RS SM5. I bought the RT without ever taking a test ride. I deliberately avoided taking a test ride on the RT because I knew it would not handle as well as my GS/RS and I didn't want to prejudice my decision. I can work on the handling.

My initial impression is favorable. It will be great for touring. It is not as quick as the GS/RS, and the wind moves it a lot more, but it should be more comfortable when I make some modifications. I can't wait to get started.

The only problem so far (day two) is that the rear suspension does not hold air - goes to zero in about 5 hours. This problem will be addressed when it goes in for the break-in service on Wednesday. I have researched this problem on SpyderLovers.com.