Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Kuryakyn Grips on the RT (with heat)

One of the first things most folks do themselves is change the grips. The Kuryakyn ISO grips are probably the most popular grip on the market. The are fairly large and give you good isolation from vibration. That being said, it's not as easy to change out when you have heated grips and after having heated grips for over a year now there is no way I was going to give them up.

I got a set of Kury 6183 clamshell grips that are made to go over the Goldwing heated grips.
    http://www.directlineparts.com/produ...pid=6876&str=4
    I did a test run when I first got them and could see that this wasn't going to be a bolt-up situation without doing a little work on the stock grips and shift paddle on the SE. There was another member on SpyderLovers that put the work in and got it done on both a SM and a SE so I knew it could be done. Thanks for blazing the trail.

So here's a step by step if you want to attempt this mod.

I started with the left side as I knew it was going to be the hardest seeing this was an SE with a paddle shift.

First thing you want to do is to put the bottom part of the clamshell on to see where the paddle is going to hit.

You're going to grind a little at a time and test the shifter by putting the bottom piece in place and starting the RT and shifting into first and then back to neutral. Make sure you leave the parking brake on when testing.

Once you get that where you like it you can take the end cap off and start trimming the end of the grip.

This is what it should look like when you're done.

Now you're ready to slide the rubber over the grip. I found that you're best off putting the bottom half on first before you try and slide it over the grip. If you don't it will add to the fight you're about to have.

I used 409 spay cleaner and soaked the stock grip and the Kury grip so I could move it around easily. Once the soap drys it's not going anywhere.

The next part is where the fight begins. You need to mate the top shell to the bottom shell and you would swear it will never fit. The rubber is going to be too big to fit in the holes in the clamshell but if you take your time and work each one it will fit. As you're doing this you are trying to pinch the two half's together. When you get it close enough you can start the screws to help hold it in place.

On the picture above you can see some little tabs in the splice area. Those tabs have to lock in to hold the two half's together. I used a rag with some channel locks to pinch it together. Be careful not to damage the grip.

On the SE I went ahead and rotated the grip so I could get to this screw and tighten it down because the paddle will be in the way if you don't do that now.

Once you have that tight you can rotate the grip where you want it and tighten down the rest of the screws and install the end cap.

The throttle side is the same except when you take the stock end cap off make sure you put the bolt back in so the spring can't work it's way out.

Make sure the throttle turns freely and returns on it's own. It should have clearance between the switch housing and the end of the grip.

I haven't had a chance to test the heat yet but I know these work great on the Goldwing so they should work great on the RT seeing these grips get hotter than Goldwing grips.

Haven't installed any on a SM RT but it should be easier than a SE. Hope this helps.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Lamont. I'll have to give it a try. Next decision is chrome or black...
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

THANKS Lamont! ISO grips are on my list now... in BLACK!
    2014 RT Limited , Black Current (blacked out trim)

Spyder Garage

can they be used on GS model ???
    THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tatt2r View Post
    can they be used on GS model ???
    Only if you had the same size grip as the heated grip that it goes over.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

great info and good tips. thanks

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Great post Lamont... Going to try this also but I want to use the kewlmetal helment hanger endcaps.... any advice?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave711 View Post
    Great post Lamont... Going to try this also but I want to use the kewlmetal helment hanger endcaps.... any advice?
    You might be able to make them fit but this grip is bigger than a stock Kury iso grip.

Spyder Garage

Lamont I asked you about these grips at Daytona, Well I picked them up at Leesburg Bikefest and put them on. The only thing I did different was I used the drumell tool to make it a lot easier to cut the ends off. Also I picked up the Slick Mist and it's great thanks jc

corbin Lamont cut seat with back rest, graphic gator,Chrome grips, trailer hitch,buttler mug, two brothers exhaust, painted center fender strips. center brake light, Led lights, tricLed fender lights

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyg View Post
    Lamont I asked you about these grips at Daytona, Well I picked them up at Leesburg Bikefest and put them on. The only thing I did different was I used the drumell tool to make it a lot easier to cut the ends off. Also I picked up the Slick Mist and it's great thanks jc

Spyder Garage

lamonster,

Do they come in all black? Can the grip clamp be ground down instead of the shift paddle?

cougar

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cougar View Post
    lamonster,

Do they come in all black? Can the grip clamp be ground down instead of the shift paddle?

cougar
    They do not come in black that I know of and I guess you could grind the grip down but that would show more than grinding down the paddle.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info Lamont.. Will put the grips on the ole wish list.

Be Safe
    AC
    2014 RT S SE-6 Cognac, 2014 Indian Chieftain. Retired Navy Chief

Spyder Garage

I installed mine today thanks Lamonster !!!
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S Pure Magnesium Metallic, with SM5 transmission, Two Brothers muffler, cup holder ,clam shell ISO grips,I pod nano and chrome handlebars. Utopia backrest,chrome foot pegs, chrome passenger floor boards,chrome shifter and brake pedal,chrome windshield bracket and chrome kewlmetal highway pegs

Harleyrick

Spyder Garage

Are these grips larger then the other ISO's ? I mean the Dia. My hands barely went around the one on my Harley

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rickm View Post
    Are these grips larger then the other ISO's ? I mean the Dia. My hands barely went around the one on my Harley
    They are very big. They are designed to fit over the heated grips, not replace them.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Yes they're much bigger Diameter It works for me but I have large hands.
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S Pure Magnesium Metallic, with SM5 transmission, Two Brothers muffler, cup holder ,clam shell ISO grips,I pod nano and chrome handlebars. Utopia backrest,chrome foot pegs, chrome passenger floor boards,chrome shifter and brake pedal,chrome windshield bracket and chrome kewlmetal highway pegs

Harleyrick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rickm View Post
    These are 1.87" and the standard ISO grips are 1.67"

Spyder Garage

I did this mod yesterday. Not to difficult, made a huge difference in comfort to me. I got big hands and would get cramps after a while.

Well worth it!!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question: Do these beauties get warm enough when you poke some electricity at the heated grips underneath??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I for sure lost some heat after the mod...........they do still get warm enough for me......bear in mind though.....I live on the gulf coast, not New York.
    Other than that, great mod, they are very fat, I have big hands they feel great to me. I also put the throttle boss on the right side.....i like it too......

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Question: Do these beauties get warm enough when you poke some electricity at the heated grips underneath??

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I found that the heat transfer using the high setting with these shells over the stock grips is approximately equivalent to the heat you will feel using the low settings on your stock grip. If you need more than this level of heat then these clamshell grips are not for you.

It should also be mentioned that it takes a tad longer for the heat transfer to be felt through these grip covers.

Personally I have found the heat adequate for my needs, but only because I found the high setting on my stock grips was a touch too hot for my liking.

Hope this helps.

Spyder Garage

Default making it a little easier....

My husband put mine on yesterday and he used a hose clamp to help with the installation said it helped immensely!!! They work and feel and look great on there!

Spyder Garage

I have one very dumb question, the grinding that Lamont speaks of, is that on the ISO Grip or actually on the paddle shifter?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Alberts46 View Post
    I have one very dumb question, the grinding that Lamont speaks of, is that on the ISO Grip or actually on the paddle shifter?
    It is on the paddle shifter. When you mount the clam shell you will see where it hits. Take a rotary tool and shave it until the shifter no longer hits the grip flange. Take it slowly and do it in stages. I did it two years back and everything is good.