Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Kuryakyn Grips on the RT (with heat)

One of the first things most folks do themselves is change the grips. The Kuryakyn ISO grips are probably the most popular grip on the market. The are fairly large and give you good isolation from vibration. That being said, it's not as easy to change out when you have heated grips and after having heated grips for over a year now there is no way I was going to give them up.

I got a set of Kury 6183 clamshell grips that are made to go over the Goldwing heated grips.
    http://www.directlineparts.com/produ...pid=6876&str=4
    I did a test run when I first got them and could see that this wasn't going to be a bolt-up situation without doing a little work on the stock grips and shift paddle on the SE. There was another member on SpyderLovers that put the work in and got it done on both a SM and a SE so I knew it could be done. Thanks for blazing the trail.

So here's a step by step if you want to attempt this mod.

I started with the left side as I knew it was going to be the hardest seeing this was an SE with a paddle shift.

First thing you want to do is to put the bottom part of the clamshell on to see where the paddle is going to hit.

You're going to grind a little at a time and test the shifter by putting the bottom piece in place and starting the RT and shifting into first and then back to neutral. Make sure you leave the parking brake on when testing.

Once you get that where you like it you can take the end cap off and start trimming the end of the grip.

This is what it should look like when you're done.

Now you're ready to slide the rubber over the grip. I found that you're best off putting the bottom half on first before you try and slide it over the grip. If you don't it will add to the fight you're about to have.

I used 409 spay cleaner and soaked the stock grip and the Kury grip so I could move it around easily. Once the soap drys it's not going anywhere.

The next part is where the fight begins. You need to mate the top shell to the bottom shell and you would swear it will never fit. The rubber is going to be too big to fit in the holes in the clamshell but if you take your time and work each one it will fit. As you're doing this you are trying to pinch the two half's together. When you get it close enough you can start the screws to help hold it in place.

On the picture above you can see some little tabs in the splice area. Those tabs have to lock in to hold the two half's together. I used a rag with some channel locks to pinch it together. Be careful not to damage the grip.

On the SE I went ahead and rotated the grip so I could get to this screw and tighten it down because the paddle will be in the way if you don't do that now.

Once you have that tight you can rotate the grip where you want it and tighten down the rest of the screws and install the end cap.

The throttle side is the same except when you take the stock end cap off make sure you put the bolt back in so the spring can't work it's way out.

Make sure the throttle turns freely and returns on it's own. It should have clearance between the switch housing and the end of the grip.

I haven't had a chance to test the heat yet but I know these work great on the Goldwing so they should work great on the RT seeing these grips get hotter than Goldwing grips.

Haven't installed any on a SM RT but it should be easier than a SE. Hope this helps.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Lamont. I'll have to give it a try. Next decision is chrome or black...
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

THANKS Lamont! ISO grips are on my list now... in BLACK!
    2014 RT Limited , Black Current (blacked out trim)

Spyder Garage

can they be used on GS model ???
    THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tatt2r View Post
    can they be used on GS model ???
    Only if you had the same size grip as the heated grip that it goes over.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

great info and good tips. thanks

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Great post Lamont... Going to try this also but I want to use the kewlmetal helment hanger endcaps.... any advice?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave711 View Post
    Great post Lamont... Going to try this also but I want to use the kewlmetal helment hanger endcaps.... any advice?
    You might be able to make them fit but this grip is bigger than a stock Kury iso grip.