Thread: Fog Lights

Spyder Garage

Default Fog Lights

Was thinking of putting factory fog lights on my RT. Has anbody done this yet?

Mowerman
    Proud Owner of a 2017 f3t

Spyder Garage

Yes, they were installed yesterday.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have a base RT. When I started looking at the extra lighting, I looked at the OE fog lights, but I didn't feel like they were very bright and they are only on / off. I was also looking for DRL's. So, I am installing the Kewl Metal 2-inch LED driving lights (using the OE wiring). These lights will work as low beam daytime driving lights and will work as a high output driving light also. The 2-inch LEDs have great light with low electrical draw. Best part is that I used the stock fog light switch to activated them. I haven't finished installing the mounts (though I do have the LED's wired in) - so I can't post a photo just yet. I'm hoping to have that part done maybe end of this week.

Spyder Garage

stevedfive,
    Did you do it or did the dealer?

Mowerman
    Last edited by Mowerman; 01-30-2011 at 07:07 PM.

Spyder Garage

JohnS_Rosamond,

I would like to see the pictures when you get it done. Thanks

Mowerman

Spyder Garage

Default fog lights

did my fog lights at a dealer my RT looks much better. and they can see me much better.

Spyder Garage

My dealer did the install and they charged 1.5 hours.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

capt jim,
    How long did it take the dealer to put them in?

Mowerman

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

MowerMan. Will do. I'm waiting on a replacement part and it hasn't arrived yet. So, I will post pictures when I get the job done (looks kinda funky right now with the LED hanging off the end of the wire at the moment). Thank you for the interest.

Spyder Garage

I'm thinking of installing a set of Clearwater HPLED lights. I saw them at the Motorcycle show in Boston last weekend. They are manufactured in California. They are high powered LEDs that are dimmable made from annodized aluminum and come in 12 watt or 36 watts. The 12 watt are plenty bright. You cant look directly into them from four feet away. The guy I talked to was from NH. He quoted me a price of $450 plus about three hours installation at $60 per hour. For more info go to www.clearwaterlights.com They have a list of dealers.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JohnS_Rosamond View Post
    I have a base RT. When I started looking at the extra lighting, I looked at the OE fog lights, but I didn't feel like they were very bright and they are only on / off. I was also looking for DRL's. So, I am installing the Kewl Metal 2-inch LED driving lights (using the OE wiring). These lights will work as low beam daytime driving lights and will work as a high output driving light also. The 2-inch LEDs have great light with low electrical draw. Best part is that I used the stock fog light switch to activated them. I haven't finished installing the mounts (though I do have the LED's wired in) - so I can't post a photo just yet. I'm hoping to have that part done maybe end of this week.
    John, Do you have a link or model no. for the lights you used? Did they come with mounting or is that a separate kit ? Are these the lights that mount on the fender supports and move in the steering direction? lots of questions....
    Thanks,
    Jack

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yes, these are the ones that mount to the fender support. They are not going to be as bright as the Clearwater lights others have talked about, but they sure are plenty bright for me. Also, as I stated before, I have seen the OE Fog lights and I really did not feel that they were the kind of lights that I was looking for. There are places out here where there are no street lights. http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/produc...19f72749ac6d9c

Although it's too bad that you have to piece together a kit, you do not need the Kewl Metal wiring loom. But for a real clean install, you need to get the OE Can Am fog light switch to activate the wiring loom that's already there.

Spyder Garage

Those sure look good for fender mounted lights but I havent seen any specs on the lumens, power draw, etc.
    The KD243 mounting kit really looks good. I may use it even if I get different lights. Here's some detail on the kit...

http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/download/pdf/KD-243.pdf