Spyder Garage

Default RT Coolant Temp?

Here in Texas, it was nice yesterday so a few buddies, their wives and us went riding. The Air temp was around 60F. We rode ten miles and stopped for Gas. When leaving the gas station, I noticed that my temp gauge was almost at the red mark. After riding for about 20 minutes, it came back down and stayed just above the center mark. When we would come in to towns and stop at red lights, that gauge would creep back up almost to the red.

When we stopped, I checked the coolant level and it was just below the line. Before riding yesterday, it would run between the 1/4 and 1/2 mark on the temp gauge, and it would only get to 1/2 if I let it idle a while...

So here is my question, I had the gauges out and most of the panels off on Friday while installing my new speakers and my Zumo GPS. Could I have put the guages in wrong or did some thing to cause this? Did not think I could plug them in wrong....

It never went in to "Limp mode" which I assume it would if if gets to hot. Just wanted to get your opinions before taking it to the dealer.

Whats the trick to get to the coolant bottle to add coolant if needed after removing the panel under the frunk?

Spyder Garage

Also check to make sure that the fan is working when the temperatures rise. If not, check the fan relay and fuse.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    Are you certain you don't have a coolant leak?

The coolant level at operating temperature should be at or near the top line (max).

The radiator should siphon coolant from the bottle automatically if everything is working right without leaks.

I found the coolant bottle cap wasn't screwed on properly after I took delivery.
    The coolant is right at the Max line and I have not seen any leaks on the Garage floor.... I did remove the cap and reinstalled it today.

Also check to make sure that the fan is working when the temperatures rise. If not, check the fan relay and fuse.
    I ran it a while today and the gauge still showed between 3/4, just before hot. The Fan was kicking on and off while running, and would run a few minutes when I shut the engine off.

I remove the Fuel and Temp gauge so that they would appear on the display. The temp in the display showed the temp to be 1 bar above 1/2... Put the gauges back in and it showed 3/4 just below the "red" markings. I am thinking the gauge maybe going bad...but that is just a guess...I sure don't want to run it hot...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Sounds to me like your analog guage is off. I removed mine because I was used to the digital ones and am going to install an additional numeric digital one.

Spyder Garage

If the fan is working and the digital gauge is where it should be I that would be my thinking. I find that the digital gauges are more accurate than the analog gauges anyway. Might be a good time to add a volt meter and ????

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    Does the analog gauge move during a fan cycle?
    Yes, it drops a little when the fan kicks on, but only really drops to just above 1/2 when moving...

It is wierd...just started do this...before Saturday...it would run between 1/4 to 1/2 and only at 1/2 if I let it idle for a while...

If the fan is working and the digital gauge is where it should be I that would be my thinking. I find that the digital gauges are more accurate than the analog gauges anyway. Might be a good time to add a volt meter and ????
    , I like the look of the digital volt meter and oil pressure some have put in. I also like how you put the GPS in one of the gauge spots....decisions...decisions...