Thread: Hard downshift

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Hard downshift

Question for you guys, I am new to the Spyder world and currently have a 2009 SE5. When the transmission dowshifts it seems to be awful hard and noisy. The upshifts are very smooth. Anyone experienced anything like this before? Wasnt sure what would be considered "normal"

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dmmeado View Post
    Question for you guys, I am new to the Spyder world and currently have a 2009 SE5. When the transmission dowshifts it seems to be awful hard and noisy. The upshifts are very smooth. Anyone experienced anything like this before? Wasnt sure what would be considered "normal"

Thanks

if i downshift while going too fast it shifts loudly... not sure if that is normal... but it's been normal since i've had my toy....
    The only good view of a thunderstorm is in your rearview mirror.

Spyder Garage

Are you doing the down shift or do you let the downshift ? I down shift and use the engine as a brake .
    Happy Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Doesnt seem to matter. If I let it automatically downshift or I do it manually it is the same. Alot rougher than upshifts.

Thanks

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I know you posted this thread in the RT Shoptalk Forum, but I'm assuming since you have an 09, that you actually have an RS/GS SE5. I have an RT-S and had issues in the past with hard shift'n & after much research discovered that it was related to Engine Oil Level, as the SE5 uses the engine oil to shift the transmission as well. It's very important to check the oil level with the engine hot, like after a 15-20 minute ryde, not just let'n it sit & run for a few. Not sure if this is related to your problem or not, but can't hurt to double check.

Good Luck & Hope you get the problem figured out soon.

Spyder Garage

When I had the 2008 SE5, I found that when downshifting it was smoother when I shut off the throttle. If I kept the throttle open, it was all kind of jerky because a lot of times the 2500 rpm was in the mist of a small throttle response. Don't know if this makes any sense to anyone, but that's the best I can explain my experience.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT with the SE 5...
    When I let the figure out the downshifting, it appears to rev the engine up so that it should match the rev level in the lower gear to what the vehicle speed is... It seems to sometimes overrev it just a bit, but I wouldn't call it noisy or hard; just a bit "aggressive"...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When I first started on my '09 GS SE5 I would try to match the throttle to the next gear, and like usual I was not good at it. I just let the SE5 set the engine RPM when shifting up or down, it does a good job on it's own. If you shift at too low of an RPM the SE5 may not be able to match to correct RPM for the next gear causing it to miss the target speed and cause a hard shift.

I also agree with CyncySpyder that you should check the engine oil as this was the cause for some hard shifts for me once.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My apologizes if I posted in the wrong forum. I just finished checking the engine oil, level looked good a few bubbles but otherwise okay. After riding it some more it looks like what I perceived to be hard shifts was the engine revving every time it downshifts. I noticed the rpm gauge would jump with the downshift. I will chalk this up to my ignorance with the spyder. Thanks everyone for your responses. I appreciate it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Please... No apologies are necessary! We're all learning new stuff in here (and out there!!) every day.

Spyder Garage

My apologizes if I posted in the wrong forum. I just finished checking the engine oil, level looked good a few bubbles but otherwise okay. After riding it some more it looks like what I perceived to be hard shifts was the engine revving every time it downshifts. I noticed the rpm gauge would jump with the downshift. I will chalk this up to my ignorance with the spyder. Thanks everyone for your responses. I appreciate it.
    welcome

The Spyder is a totally different machine, and we all had to go through the learning process. Many of us are still doing so each time we ryde. I am glad to hear you figured out the issue, and all seems well with your Spyder.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up normal

it sound normal

Spyder Garage

Smile

The Engine and trans use the same oil it's important to make sure you are at proper level that makes a difference. I don't have the book in front of me but basically it says you do not need to change the tranny filter everytime you do an oil change but my thought was why not who wants the same dirty old residual oil mixed in with clean oil and if any larger particals are in there you would not want to leave them their. As for shifting the lower the rpm's the better for down shifting.

Roger

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    The Engine and trans use the same oil it's important to make sure you are at proper level that makes a difference. I don't have the book in front of me but basically it says you do not need to change the tranny filter everytime you do an oil change but my thought was why not who wants the same dirty old residual oil mixed in with clean oil and if any larger particals are in there you would not want to leave them their. As for shifting the lower the rpm's the better for down shifting.
    A service bulletin was issued changing the instructions in the manual. BRP now specifies changing the transmission filter at every oil change.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    A service bulletin was issued changing the instructions in the manual. BRP now specifies changing the transmission filter at every oil change.
    I bet they Changed that by reading this group??

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Roger's right... it'd be like brushing your teeth with the toothpaste left over from last week on the 'brush...

Spyder Garage

Default Throttle blipper

Thanks
    The SE is supposed to blip the throttle when it downshifts. I've had an ongoing issue with mine being intermittent, and nobody being able to say definitively under what conditions it will blip, or how to test it (other than the useless one blip out of five = working in the manual).

It does check itself when you first turn on. You should be able to hear it, a sharp double click like a relay. If in doubt, take the left upper plastic off and look for the blipper moving when you turn on the ignition. If it doesn't move, there is definitely a fault. If it does move there might be a fault.

Cheers;

Pogo

Spyder Garage

You didn't post in the wrong place, this is the shop talk forum, not the RT shop talk forum, your good
    "You will never see a bike in front of a therapist's office, because riding is the best therapy there is, skip the shrink, buy a bike!"