Thread: Relay Problem

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Relay Problem

I continue to have problems with my relays on my 2009 SE5 after I shut down after riding for any length of time. When I go to restart, I get all sorts of error messages (actual message varies from start to start). I end up having to access the fuse panel and reseat the relays. I have foam in the cover to keep the relays from working loose but that doesn't seem to be the problem.

I had it checked at the dealer:
    1. couldn't get it to duplicate the problem (probably short, low speed test runs)
    2. spade clips are tight

Anyone have any ideas? Thinking I may just want to replace the entire fuse panel

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Ask your service for a printout of the "Faults" in B.U.D.S.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by irish2themax View Post
    I continue to have problems with my relays on my 2009 SE5 after I shut down after riding for any length of time. When I go to restart, I get all sorts of error messages (actual message varies from start to start). I end up having to access the fuse panel and reseat the relays. I have foam in the cover to keep the relays from working loose but that doesn't seem to be the problem.

I had it checked at the dealer:
    1. couldn't get it to duplicate the problem (probably short, low speed test runs)
    2. spade clips are tight

Anyone have any ideas? Thinking I may just want to replace the entire fuse panel

I know this is obvious;
    Have you replaced the relays with new ones.?
    Sounds like one is getting hot and tripping.

Spyder Garage

I have a good friend who was one of the best heavy equipment mechanics in San Diego and I use to joke about all he did was change fuel filters to fix problems. I would say 8 out of 10 times if a piece of equipment wasn't running right or had a loss of power it turned out to be a fuel filter.

On the Spyder it seems like the battery is the first place you want to look. Make sure you have a good full charge and that all your connections are clean and tight. The relays were a problem for me too but now that I've replaced them all and keep spares I haven't had any issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    .......The relays were a problem for me too but now that I've replaced them all and keep spares I haven't had any issues.
    Same here, except since I changed relays I never had to use any of the spares yet.
    Premeir Edition #59

SoCal

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    On the Spyder it seems like the battery is the first place you want to look. Make sure you have a good full charge and that all your connections are clean and tight.
    If the connections are good, you also might want to test that it holds a charge, and do a load test to check for a weak battery. To test that it holds a chare, chare fully, then take a voltage reading anywhere from a few hours later to the next day. It should read 12.6 volts or higher. To do a simple load test, hold the throttle full open (to keep the Spyder from starting) and read the voltage while cranking the starter. It should remain above 10.0 volts. With anything less, the battery should be replaced.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've found that the added foam is only effective for so long before it takes a "set", allowing the relays to loosen. It then must be replaced.

Spyder Garage

2 to 3 years seems to be the norm for these M/C batteries. I got 3 seasons outta mine ... good enough fer me. New gel going in in da spring.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Next time you ride, after you come back, put a volt meter on the battery and see what it comes up with. This will tell you if it's a battery/voltage issue or a relay issue.

well.. you did say that you have to reseat the relay in order for it to work again so actually it wouldn't be battery. It would be relay related. Next time pull the main relay (the one on the left) and see if that resolves the issue. Do you get the normal VSS/DPS/Check Engine/Launch Nukes/End of the world error messages? That would prob be the main relay.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Same here, except since I changed relays I never had to use any of the spares yet.
    That's because the original Bach of relays were substandard.
    [seconds]

Registered Users
    God's Country, Keystone Heights, FL "Happy Owner"
    Spyder Garage

I had a problem with relays that were only 6 months old. Getting limp mode most of the time... many times after shutting down to eat or refuel her SE5, which is also an 09, would not engage the starter. I replaced all the relays with masterpro from the local auto parts. Problems went away. Part number is R3110. Last time I purchased they were $8.

I replaced them after checking the battery connections and state of charge. Ken krb1945

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Neez View Post
    I've found that the added foam is only effective for so long before it takes a "set", allowing the relays to loosen. It then must be replaced.
    or supplemented.

I have a 2008 PE edition that came equipped with the foam layer in the fuse/relay box cover and have found the same thing. On a recent vacation trip to Arkansas my relays were working loose under normal riding conditions, giving multiple errors codes, limp mode etc. I added a second layer of thin foam to the original and have had no problems since. I carry spare relays, but have never had a true failure of any of the stock relays even though some say they are a low quality component.
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I got the upgraded electrical relay kit from Black Widow and keep the stock relays for spares...works for me...$50 wasn't bad for peace of mind.