Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post
    Will these be in Cuba and how hard are they to install?
    I won't be at Spyderfest this year, just can't make it, but i do plan on making it to the smokies!

Spyder Garage

I have mine like Lomont suggested. My belt is a little looser than it should be and I set the tensioner at 14 lbs. I tightened the tensioner till I thought the belt felt right then checked the tensioner with a good fish scale and it was 14 lbs. Not to high tech. but I am happy with the way it is.

States We Have Been To On Our Spyder

My mods: Green filter, Air box mod., Muzzy exhaust, Cat Bypass, Exhaust Heat Wraped, Powder coated all Bare Metal surfaces, Capt. Jim`s Belt Tensioner, Custom Built Highway Pegs, Elka front shocks, RS-S rear shock, 2011 smaller windshield, Dynojet PowercommanderV & Autotune, NGK iridiom DCPR9IEX spark plugs, Maxxis MA-Z4S Victra rear tire, General Altimax HP 185/60R14 front tires, Corbin seat & backrest, BRP hitch. I need to stop!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post
    Will these be in Cuba and how hard are they to install?

I'll have mine on my Spyder in Cuba-- anyone who wants to take a spin to feel the difference is more than welcome. If they have some there I can help install them--- about a 20 minute job.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up spda

capt jim,i am interested in your belt tensioner
    the price quoted to australia, is that correct
    do you have paypal
    john from australia.
    Last edited by SPDA; 03-31-2011 at 05:47 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Purchase

Ok so how do I make contact to buy?

Dick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trucknrn View Post
    Ok so how do I make contact to buy?

Dick
    Click on the name and emial him.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Belt Tensioner

Capt Jim
    I'm interested in getting one of these how do I go about it?

Spyder Garage

Default I am interested in idler

my email address is drudolph@wightman.ca

Spyder Garage

Default RT MODEL?

Has an easy to install RT Model been made up yet?
    Corbin saddle
    spyderpops block off plate, bump skid, belt guard
    IPS
    Tricled LED lights all around(too many to name here)
    Smoothspyder belt tensioner
    Custom Dynamics britesides
    VTC floorboards, upper air vents, spoiler
    BK car stuff HID upgrade
    trailer hitch
    Repainted rear fender, trunk latch assembly, switch cluster, gauge cluster
    cell phone interface kit
    travel cover that no longer fits due to the spoiler
    New sway bar
    New shock relocator

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JCSMOKE View Post
    Has an easy to install RT Model been made up yet?
    I have the RT version from Capt.Jim. The install is not difficult but you will need to drill two 3/8" holes in the frame. I would recommend getting a 12" long 3/8" drill bit. With the Spyder raised up on jack stands it was easy to access and drill the two holes from under the Spyder. The addition of the belt tensioner reduced the belt vibrations significantly but because the static tension of my belt was so low it didn't get rid of all the virbrations. Using a Kricket II belt tension gauge my static tension measures a little over 100 lbs. Other members on the board that use the Kricket II say theirs measure over 120 lbs. Lamont stated his is set at 180 lbs. My dealer says my belt tension is in spec but if it is it's at the very low end. I plan on making an adjustment to the belt tension after the Beaver Dam State Park ride today.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Y Rider View Post
    I have the RT version from Capt.Jim. The install is not difficult but you will need to drill two 3/8" holes in the frame. I would recommend getting a 12" long 3/8" drill bit. With the Spyder raised up on jack stands it was easy to access and drill the two holes from under the Spyder. The addition of the belt tensioner reduced the belt vibrations significantly but because the static tension of my belt was so low it didn't get rid of all the virbrations. Using a Kricket II belt tension gauge my static tension measures a little over 100 lbs. Other members on the board that use the Kricket II say theirs measure over 120 lbs. Lamont stated his is set at 180 lbs. My dealer says my belt tension is in spec but if it is it's at the very low end. I plan on making an adjustment to the belt tension after the Beaver Dam State Park ride today.
    My RT belt tension is in spec (although the spec is +/- 25%!), too, and it reads very low on the Krikit. Nancy's RS is supposedly the same, and reads significantly higher on the Krikit. I am not sure I trust the sonic gauge any more than the Krikit or a simple belt twist.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Belt Tensioner
    Just put on Smooth Spyder Tensioner on road 100 miles and all I can say is Holy Poop!!! This thing smooths my RT right out no vibes or belt noise. Can't understand why BRP doesn't put theses on at the factory. CAPT. JIM you the man fast shipping great directions. Excellent product!!!!!

Spyder Garage

I'm trying hard!, thanks for the kind words.

Spyder Garage

Default Does the addition of the belt tensioner affect the factory warranty on the RT?

Just finished cross country trip with over 4500 miles, the belt vibration to me is a problem that BRP should have addressed. Man that is a long belt and it just seems that a tensioner should have been there from the get-go. I can't understand an engineer missing something as important as this. Anyway I plan on getting one for my RT and the question is about the factory warranty. It looks like a good product and If it will do away with the vibration The bike would be really smooth. It is impossible to keep it in that "sweet spot" where you get a taste of how good the spyder really is. Have you got long term test reports yet?

Spyder Garage

Default Belt Tensioner

Capt. Jim., do you know if this will fit the 2012 RTS Se5 ?

Spyder Garage

Unless they have changed anything that I'm not aware of, it should fit. I thought the GS/RS should of fit the RT also being that the frame and swingarm were basically the same, then I found out they stuffed the CAT in there. I have the longest to date test data on mine, but I'm sure some others have more miles, no tensioner failures yet, but if they do I will replace whatever part fails, period. As to voiding a warranty, a dealer might say the tensioner contributed to the front drive sprocket and shaft failures some have experienced or would have experienced anyway, but the extra tension added with 10lbs. of spring loaded tension to the static tension is not a lot, a few dealers have put the blame on the consumer to get out of fixing things their mods had nothing to do with.
    Last edited by capt.jim; 09-26-2011 at 09:29 PM. Reason: add more stuff

Spyder Garage

Default Yee...Haa...It works.....

Thanks Capt'n Jim, and to others thinking about getting the Smooth Spyder belt tensioner. I'm 14K+ miles into my 2010 RT Sm5 and....FINALLY, now... I have a smooth running Spyder. I didn't need 1000+ miles to know if this thing works. I works and works very well.

After installing, I cound't wait to take a "Does It Work" test ride. So, after about 100 miles or so, I am sold. I can't say it's Goldwing smooth, a Spyder will never be that smooth with a V-twin engine, but it's close enough. No more annoying vibration at any speed, rpm or when calling for lots or power. It works gang... Just one SpyderLovers opinion, I love it!! I will be installing one on my wife's RT ASAP.... Len
    Another Very Happy Owner X 2 ...
    "The Only Thing That Need Happen For Evil To Prevail Is For Good Men To Do Nothing"

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Belt Tensioners

Capt Jim
    I have a 2011 RT do you have a belt tensioner for them yet?
    I would love to get rid of the vibration and does it help with the squell the RT has?

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by capt.jim View Post
    I am happy to announce I will now be supporting Spyderlovers as a new vendor, "SMOOTH SPYDER BELT TENSIONERS". Thanks to Spyderlovers, its members and their experiences, the joy and knowledge I have received from this site is immeasurable. It's comforting to know that there are many great people that share the same passion for the spyder as myself, and if I have something to share or need advice, Spyderlovers is only a click away. Thanks, Lamonster! After lowering my belt tension to the new specs, I experienced a fair amount of belt vibration, due to the long belt length. With no apparent solution, other than tightening the belt up again, I started researching "Dynamic Spring Loaded Belt Tensioners" and Cad designed a bracket to fit the Spyder. After comparing all the Rotary tensioners available, I chose the "Fenner Drives" Rotary Tensioner, model RT 3000, automotive quality, self lubricating and 0-42lb. adjustability, along with their composite ball bearing idler pulley. This worked very well for me, and removed all my vibration with only 10 lbs of tension. Realizing there must be others with the same problem has inspired me to try my hand at manufacturing and marketing these as a kit so that others may have a solution to their vibration problems. The bracket is water jet cut from 3/16 steel plate and black epoxy powder coated and comes with all the mounting hardware and detailed illustrated instructions. The standard pulley is 3", but if you’re not using the lower belt guard I have an optional 2" pulley that's less noticeable. An inexpensive digital fishing scale is helpful to know exactly what your tension is set at. This tensioner will only fit the G/S-R/S, but are adaptable to the RT with modification to the exhaust system. I am working on one for the RT. There is an unconditional 1 year warranty on all parts and 2 week return policy if you’re unhappy for any reason. Presently I am only shipping to the U.S., Canada and Australia. The price for Spyderlovers members is $260 to your door in the continental U.S, $280 to Canada and $295 to Australia. Send me a private message through Spyderlovers if you have any questions, or for purchasing info, thanks, Capt. Jim

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yelhelp View Post
    Capt Jim
    I would love to get rid of the vibration and does it help with the squell the RT has?

Bill
    I have Capt Jim's belt tensioner on my 2011 RT Limited and it fits perfectly.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default RT tensioner

Quote Originally Posted by Yelhelp View Post
    Capt Jim

Bill
    Hey Bill, sorry for the delayed response, I don't look at the supporting vendors site daily, mostly Private messages. It helps with the vibration but what is the "squell"?, this is a new one to me. Send me a PM. thanks, Capt.Jim

Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

you have this posted for $265 to my door just tried to get and it wanted $280 to my door i do live in the U.S.A

Spyder Garage

Default adjustments tensioner

hey all , i know there is a lot of stuff on here about the belt tensioner now i have a couple of questions after the install the belt was coming of the rear sprocket, i did all that was written on the paper work , checked and rechecked still did it ,, and also where the big bolt is that you tension and back of the wheel thats on the belt should there be any play in there in the main body where the brass washer is mine is loose ,, it was together in the box so when i moved the bottom wheel of the belt it when back to where it should be moved the body and tryed again belt moved again errrr,, so now moved the bottom wheel to the outside edge of the belt and was good but now the belt is up against the edge of the wheel so im stumped ,,, if some one can help out would be good cheers

Spyder Garage

Road debris hasn't been an issue.

Spyder Garage

Default Jim...

I value your support of our forum and I don't want to be negative, so please take my question as a sincere effort to understand...

Why is a pully mounted on a fairly simple bracket so expensive?

Again, no disrespect intended and I am a former small businessman myself... I'm just curious. Thanks, in advance!
    Regards-

Frank.

2014 Cognac RT-S SE6 1330
    2011 Viper Red RT-S SE5 998 (sold)