Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fuel tank size

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default fuel tank size

What is the size of my fuel tank on my RTS? It must say some where in owners manual but I have not found it. Rode 150 miles few days back and red light was showing since 140 mark and gage was showing emty as far as it could . Fueled and it took 4.5 gal. J. Miller

Spyder Garage

Default tank size

the specs say 6.6 gallon but I have never been able to get more than 4.7 gallons in after riding 20 miles with the fuel warning light on..... weird??
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

I'm sure that's Canadian Gallons and translating to US, you always get less

Spyder Garage

The capacity of the tank is 6.6 US Gallons. Approximately 10% of that is necessary head space, for fuel expansion and venting, and is not usable. Most of that head space is actually above the fill opening. It is also important on a Spyder not to overfill the tank, lest you fill and damage the evap canister. Typically, at a low fuel level you will get in 5 gallons or less. If you get in close to six, you were running on fumes. Many of us forget the gas gauge and just fill every so many miles.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Is the 10% thing you mentioned something native to the spyder? My Goldwing and my Vision did not have that limitation. When the Wing or Vision said they needed gas (excluding what was in reserve) I could easly put 5.5 or more gallons in if I drove it way beyond the light coming on. The most ever in my 1800 was 6.3 gallons....

Willy
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billythekidd View Post
    Is the 10% thing you mentioned something native to the spyder? My Goldwing and my Vision did not have that limitation. When the Wing or Vision said they needed gas (excluding what was in reserve) I could easly put 5.5 or more gallons in if I drove it way beyond the light coming on. The most ever in my 1800 was 6.3 gallons....

Willy
    Virtually all fuel tanks need head space, with the exception of some specially vented fuel cells. The difference comes in the way the tank is constructed, how it is measured, and whether the manufacturer reports the usable capacity or the entire tank volume. There are no rules regarding this, so each one may do it differently. My BMW is very similar to the Spyder, as are most vehicles where you fill the tank directly, and there is a no-lead ring. The Goldwing's remote tank may allow for a flatter top and more usable capacity, but it still has to have some free space available in either the tank or the filler neck.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Okay... So who's going to run theirs bone-dry and report on just how many gallons they stuffed into it??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The most I've put in mine was alittle over 5 gal. but I would like to know just how far you can ride after it reads empty. I usely go by milage when filling my tank Any where 125 to 150 miles.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Okay... So who's going to run theirs bone-dry and report on just how many gallons they stuffed into it??

I have a GS, Not the Gas eater RT Same size tank though. From full to the top and i mean top! [i ignore the don't fill to the top warning] To dry= 5.6 Gal. [195miles]
    ONLY try this close to home, or near a gas station.

Spyder Garage

Ok, if I do the math, and the 10% is correct, that would work out to about .7 gallons roughly. If I am able to only put in 5 where does the rest go? I should in mathematical terms be able to put in approx 6 with the 10% still there.

Willy
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..

Spyder Garage

Wink

A few have run theirs dry... Most have reported 5.6-5.9 gallons to fill it. I just run ours to the gas warning light or our butt meter, and usually get 4.6-5.0 gallons at the pump. But most of our driving is in curvy areas.. and when running on the flats we get closer to 5.6 gallons at the warning light.

Have no idea on mileage. We ryde to ryde. Not for gas mileage tracking...
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billythekidd View Post
    Ok, if I do the math, and the 10% is correct, that would work out to about .7 gallons roughly. If I am able to only put in 5 where does the rest go? I should in mathematical terms be able to put in approx 6 with the 10% still there.

Willy
    Only if you had completely run out of fuel. There is still some gas left in the tank if the Spyder is still running. No tank gauge goes completely to the bottom of the tank, so they all read empty when they have a small amount of fuel left. I have put 5.7-5.9 in Nancy's RS a few times, and 5.3-5.5 in my RTS, and 5.8 once. That one had me worrying! Those amounts were without topping the tanks off or squeezing things in. The level was just below the fill ring when I quit...maybe by 1/4"-1/2".

The type of fuel pump nozzle makes a difference, too. You can fill farther with a nozzle that is not vented. Some states require bleed holes on the nozzle snout. These make it hard to fill a motorcycle tank completely.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 01-11-2011 at 12:42 PM.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Most I've ever put in was 5.2 and that was with the light on. Usually when my RTS reads empty it'll take between 3.5 and 4 to fill it. My gauge starts bouncing after I use about a gallon. Still can't convince my dealer they need to replace it. Most mileage was 29. When I get close to empty I start looking for station.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

WOW! Thanks all for the interesting answers on tank size. I think I will just stick to a re-fuel at 120 to 135 miles. J Miller

Spyder Garage

Default I ran mine dry

I ran my RT dry (30 yards from the pump) - took 6.03 gals to fill it full - it was surprisingly easy to push that last 30 yds. I was just a little embarrassed as 3 Harleys had just pulled into the station ahead of me to fuel up - it wouldn't have happened if road work hadn't caused me to have to crawl at about 5 mph for the last couple of miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Boyd2010RT View Post
    I ran my RT dry (30 yards from the pump) - took 6.03 gals to fill it full - it was surprisingly easy to push that last 30 yds. I was just a little embarrassed as 3 Harleys had just pulled into the station ahead of me to fuel up - it wouldn't have happened if road work hadn't caused me to have to crawl at about 5 mph for the last couple of miles
    Thanks for the proof. Sorry you had to pay homage to the Harley gods to get the answer.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 2014 gas tank size

Quote Originally Posted by fispyder View Post
    The most I've put in mine was alittle over 5 gal. but I would like to know just how far you can ride after it reads empty. I usely go by milage when filling my tank Any where 125 to 150 miles.
    We have put 5.5 US gallons in on several occasions, the most being 5.56. The most mileage between fills has been 219 miles. I do believe on flat ground an maintaining 3150 rpm could get to 250+ but that's ideal conditions. By the way, the speedometer reads 62 MPH at 3,150 RPM but the GPS indicates that is 60 MPH.

Ride Safe

Spyder Garage

Just about all EFI motors use the fuel as both lubricant & coolant for the fuel pump & injectors, circulating it thru the system to absorb heat & lubricate everything before returning what isn't injected into the cylinders back to the tank to dissipate excess heat into what fuel remains in there; so running the tank low let alone 'dry' too often won't be doing the expensive EFI system components a heap of good!!

Sure, you will probably get away with running the tank down low a few times if you have to, but it's not something you'd want to make a habit of doing to often if you can avoid it; even running the tank down too far below the warning light regularly probably isn't going to be helping the expensive bits in your fuel injection system last for the long run!! I figure it's easy enough to fill early (based on distance travelled) most of the time, & if I'm travelling long distances where the Spyder's range might be stretched a bit, I carry some 'spare fuel' in a container just to top the tank up once the level starts to get low. But then, we've got quite a few stretches of road here in Aust where the fuel stops are at least a couple of hundred miles apart, & even then they may not always be open when you arrive, so carrying extra fuel is pretty much necessary anyway!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-28-2015 at 07:46 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm sure that you're aware that the 2014 models changed just about everything...
    The reported tank size is now 6.9 gallons. I have found that the accuracy of the fuel gauge has been improved to the point where it's now pretty easy to consider looking at a 200 plus mile range out of the tank.
    I have added almost 5.5 gallons on several occasions, and have yet to see the "low fuel" warning light come on.
    Your speedometer is off by 2 mph: welcome to the Club! When your rear tire is toast; replace it with a 215/60-15 one, and you'll be able to sleep easier.

Spyder Garage

My Spyder is the first motorcycle I've ever had with a fuel gauge. Personally, I pay more attention to how many miles I've ridden. Recently, on my first long trip after the recall work, I rode quite a few miles after the low level light came on . . . I was with a large group and didn't want to make them all stop (lots of folks have the 1330 engine) . . . when we did stop, I'd averaged 31 MPG and only got 4.2 gallons in the tank.

That fuel gauge is nothing more than a device that tells you your tank isn't full, anymore!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

The most I've put in has been 5.81 with lousy MPG, 32.7, for that tank as I was hauling home from Spyderfest. On a tank a month ago I put in 5.65 with 39.4 MPG for that tank and 222 miles. Don't know as I'd want to try to stretch it to 250 as I have no idea how much of the 6.9 gal capacity one can actually use.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Jay,
    Have you seen the "Low Fuel" light on yours?
    I think that the gauge on my Spyder, is the most accurate fuel gauge that I've ever had in ANY vehicle.
    I've stretched to 220.2 miles.. I'd like to stretch out to 230 this year...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Jay,
    Have you seen the "Low Fuel" light on yours?
    I think that the gauge on my Spyder, is the most accurate fuel gauge that I've ever had in ANY vehicle.
    I've stretched to 220.2 miles.. I'd like to stretch out to 230 this year...
    Yes, I've seen it a number of times. On the 222 mile tank I had it on for about 30 miles before stopping and based on the amount I filled it with figured I could have gone another 25 or so before really beginning to worry but that was after the fact. You know, big stones when you have plenty of fuel.

My riding activity can vary greatly on a single tank depending on just what I'm doing. I also have gotten quite aggressive about how much I put in the tank while still leaving expansion room but I think that's more in line with pints than even quarts, let alone a gallon.

I've considered disconnecting the analog gauges to see how much more accurate the digital fuel gauge is but I tend not to mess with thinks if I don't really have to.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If I ever let mine rear it's ugly head ; I'll be sure to note the mileage when it happened, and how much fuel the bike eventually does take.

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

does the 2014 RT have a LOW FUEL WARNING LIGHT ??????

osm