Hybrid View

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Unhappy Where have all the dealers gone?!

This is NOT good news...had to take my Spyder into Lafayette, to have the DPS recall done, last week. (Froze my butt off, but lived...) Picked up "Yeller" today...but disturbed by my chat with our dealer mechanic...a great guy, and sharp on Spyders. Told me about Indiana dealers dropping, or being dropped by Bombardier...Indy, Kokomo...others...

Now sez...there's a question whether Action Motorsports will keep their Bombardier franchise as well. Ya know...I hate to say it...but if that happens, my credit union gets "Yeller" back. I'm not keen about riding a "orphaned" brand.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wink

This seems to happen as a Brand finds it's footing. I suspect this Can AM experience will be a lot like Harley Davidson has been... First a lot of dealerships, then very few, to just the right amount.

Or this is an wakening that BRP needs and was unprepared for. Causing a needed change in there "Beliefs" on how to help their dealerships flourish.

Let's not forget that we are in one of the worst global economies in our generation right now. So a good chunk of those loosing the Can Am brand very well could be a micro desision for the dealer themselves in an attempt to survive. Not to mention "Downsizing" and selling to a "Specialized (Targeted)" audience is more of the type of business folks are going back to. Instead of a crock-pot of offerings causing unknown or out of control costs that effect the bottom line.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
    This is NOT good news...had to take my Spyder into Lafayette, to have the DPS recall done, last week. (Froze my butt off, but lived...) Picked up "Yeller" today...but disturbed by my chat with our dealer mechanic...a great guy, and sharp on Spyders. Told me about Indiana dealers dropping, or being dropped by Bombardier...Indy, Kokomo...others...

Now sez...there's a question whether Action Motorsports will keep their Bombardier franchise as well. Ya know...I hate to say it...but if that happens, my credit union gets "Yeller" back. I'm not keen about riding a "orphaned" brand.

Kinda sux for those of us who outright own our bikes! At least you had the DPS recall done. I need that done along with a new trailer lock to be properly installed (which then requires a whole new ignition harness and trunk locks for single key operation). Don't think I will be driving in the cold all the way there (1hr) to have it done when I am not riding it not to mention having to leave it there while the work is being done.
    Last edited by SpyderFun; 01-05-2011 at 06:46 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderFun View Post
    Kinda sux for those of us who outright own our bikes! At least you had the DPS recall done. I need that done along with a new trailer lock to be properly installed (which then requires a whole new ignition harness and trunk locks for single key operation). Don't think I will be driving in the cold all the way there (1hr) to have it done when I am not riding it not to mention having to leave it there while the work is being done.
    Agreed. We own ours (Not a fan of financing "Toys") and the closest dealer to us is Clem's and they are 45 minutes from us if no traffic or school buses are around. Thank goodness they rock. Otherwise it is an hour and 5 minutes or so (Not to mention a ferry ride) to get to the next closest dealer... I do think it is growing pains though. I hope to see more dealers not less!
    Last edited by IWN2RYD; 01-05-2011 at 11:25 PM.

Spyder Garage

The combination of BRP requiring so much stock at dealers, and the finance companies wanting payments from the dealers on unsold stock, ain't helping anybody.
    Oh, yeah, the closest dealer I trust is between 3 and 4 hours from me.

john

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    The combination of BRP requiring so much stock at dealers, and the finance companies wanting payments from the dealers on unsold stock, ain't helping anybody.
    Oh, yeah, the closest dealer I trust is between 3 and 4 hours from me.

john

3-4 hours away!?? Dang John that makes for a VERY, VERY long day! Not to mention additional costs of lodging if you want to wait for it!

BRP needs to re-think is business strategy because if there isn't a dealer close by to perform regular & warranty maintenance, WHY would anyone purchase such a costly machine?

Bad business decisions @ BRP will kill this market for them!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderFun View Post
    3-4 hours away!?? Dang John that makes for a VERY, VERY long day! Not to mention additional costs of lodging if you want to wait for it!

BRP needs to re-think is business strategy because if there isn't a dealer close by to perform regular & warranty maintenance, WHY would anyone purchase such a costly machine?

Bad business decisions @ BRP will kill this market for them!!!
    It all depends on how much you want to ride a particular brand. I rode BMW's for 35 years and the closest dealer was 170 miles away until it closed, now the closest dealer is 230 miles away. I know many others near me who still ride BMW's and, in fact, I still have a 1975 R90/6 in the garage. You learn to do your own maintenance, which riding friends are better mechanics than yourself, where you can depend on mail order parts, and you become good friends with the local UPS and Fed Ex delivery people. It's possible but it's still a pain.

I'm fortunate that my Can-Am dealer is only 40 miles away and they are very easy to deal with. I agree that BRP needs to do all they can to make sure that good dealers are supported and encouraged to continue to handle the brand. Though I hadn't traded with them, I was very sorry to hear that the dealer in Amarillo, Texas recently dropped Can-Am products. From all indications they were an excellent dealer but just weren't able to sell enough Spyders.

Cotton