Default Gotta say..!!

you will never get lost in the dark..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Not so much of a mod...

And more of a view of the dash while it's working......

And at night....

Last edited by Phil; 11-02-2013 at 11:31 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Extra FAN Mod for Heat Management

This mod was done around August, 2012. I KNOW I posted it and also posted after testing. But for the life of me I can't find it. So....

I removed the right, bottom pan after I could feel extra heat coming up and around the glove box. This was after adding the right foot block off plate. At the same time, I added some heat management material. Here are the pics....

The fan is from Summit Racing, # PRM-19127, 6" 2,200 CFM fan. http://www.summitracing.com/search?S...word=PRM-19127

This is on the bench, figuring out where to mount it--

I cut the hole, mounted it with the supplied hardware and then taped up the air gaps with high temp silver tape. As you can see, I also added a high temp shroud around the power lines for protection. -

Another angle-

This is with the plate bolted back in its home-

From underneath, you can see the extra screen to keep rocks and other objects where they should be---

I also added heat management blankets up top--

The fan blows down toward the road. It all works very well, especially in slow driving. When Darth's speed gets above about 50mph, there is more pressure from the air entering the radiator area than the fan can siphon off and flow down and out. BUT, at higher speeds, it seems to matter less. While this isn't a perfect answer, it is essentially what BRP did on the 2014s (reversing the fans at low speed). I added a switch so in the cool months, I disable the fan and take advantage of the extra heat.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    NICE ONE!
    +1000!!!!!!

I wonder if this would help the 2013 folks!

Do you switch it on and off or is it running all the time?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Awesome is the only thing I can say!

Great Job.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    +1000!!!!!!

I wonder if this would help the 2013 folks!

Do you switch it on and off or is it running all the time?

Bob
    Bob- I pretty much leave it on all the time. I do turn it off when it gets cooler to take advantage of the heat.

Spyder Garage

Phil,

That is one of the best mods I have seen on these bikes. Everyone could really benefit from this and it is pretty easy to do.

Brian

Spyder Garage

Deluxe heat management! Well done! Where do you get the heat shielding foil stuff? I had Harvey put the block off plates & he drilled the back 'firewall' several times to route it out but that makes great sense going down!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AbNormy View Post
    Deluxe heat management! Well done! Where do you get the heat shielding foil stuff? I had Harvey put the block off plates & he drilled the back 'firewall' several times to route it out but that makes great sense going down!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
    I think the heat shielding foil came from a Google search for foil heat shield. I do that a lot. .

Sent from my iPhone7 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Whelp... Still at it. Although I've slowed, WAY DOWN. why? Bunches of reasons, one of which-- DARTHII is just around the corner.

This mod was a test for DARTHII. At some point I'll post the how to details. For now, here's the results....

Thanks Reggy for leading the way with really cool LED toys like the 'ring of heat' !!

Phil, Tyler TX- from my iPad 7.5 using Tapatalk HD

Spyder Garage

I think I quit. Moding Darth that is. Tonight I finished rebadging Darth. Here's the results....

Spyder Garage

Love the new badge Phil!
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hey Phil did you ever get a chance to write up a how to on that badge? Definitely looking at doing that to my spyder!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nikki.ullis View Post
    Hey Phil did you ever get a chance to write up a how to on that badge? Definitely looking at doing that to my spyder!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Ya know.... I got side tracked and totally forgot! Thanks for the reminder. So I don't forget, I'll write much of it here....

The secret sauce is this stuff-
    http://www.thatscoolwire.com/store/i...ELP%2DCIR%2DNI
    image.jpg
    I used the 2.5" EL circle. The one that lights closer to white, actually looks pinkish when not lit. EL does not work directly on 12VDC! You must get a driver, like these...
    image.jpg
    http://www.thatscoolwire.com/store/i...BLUE%2D27%2D40

Those 2 items from CoolWire give you a circle of light. On top of that, you can add whatever logo you wish. I had about 75 of the SpyderIchthus logos made, mostly to give away. Then I had a company make the clear epoxy domes. I have about 100 of them. They cost me about $4 each.

From ThatsCoolWire, you can get 10' power output extension cables, 'Y' connectors so one inverter can power multiple EL shapes, wires, etc. Tuck the blue inverter in a convenient place. I used mounting tape and just stuck it out of the way, one for the front and one for the back. They sell various inverter/drivers and they are more, or less powerful depending on the square inches or length of EL wire you are driving. I chose the most powerful (only $4 more each) to have the ability to play with options. I also got a selection of the 5mm EL wire and I'm going to see how it looks. Reggy tells me his opinion is that EL isn't bright enough and doesn't have the life span of LEDs. He may be 100% right! but I love to experiment and try things.

That's not my typical step by step, but it gives you the very basic building blocks. If you'll email me I'm happy to work out a way to get the clear domes sent to anyone. You really should use a small bead of silicon under the outer edge of the dome to help water seal it. Genesis@genesisworld.com.

Hope this gets the creative juices rolling! I'd love to see pics of the results!!

Last edited by Phil; 05-29-2014 at 12:26 AM.

Spyder Garage

I'm starting a new thread for Phil's 2014 (new) DARTH mods. All new stuff will go there....

Spyder Garage

That's a lot of mods. I especially like the garage.