Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Phil's Mods

Spyder Garage

Adding one more pic of the SmoothSpyder. I took this looking straight down.

One additional observation about my first ryde to test the alignment and the overall WOW factor. As I was coming back down from 80+mph, I heard an interesting wrrrrrrrrr. I liked it! Kind of like a small jet turbine . Pretty sure it's the newness of the bearing in the roller.

More lighting, coming up.....

Phil, Tyler TX- from my iPad3.5 using Tapatalk HD

Spyder Garage

Default A Few More Lights

Seems like whenever I have the Tupperware off, I mount a few more lights and clean up some wiring. I'm hoping you'll look at this and have no idea where they were added. That's one of the big points in doing lighting (IMHO). Whenever possible, lighting should reflect off of something UNLESS the light itself is a 'spectacular'. Like at rock shows. Even then the light typically reflects off of the fog they put in the air. But on a Spyder, WHEN POSSIBLE, you want to use the body, the chrome, the shape and form of the bike to show off your lighting, when you can.

Let me also, here at the top, put in a huge plug for Reggie and Custom Dynamics. While I'm NOT a wrench guy, I am decent with electrical. If you are the opposite, of if you're even better at dialing the phone than connecting wires, call those guys. They KNOW what they're doing. I'm makin this stuff up as I go .

Here's the 'current' end result.....

Some of the wiring re-work I did was to add disconnects to allow panels to be easily removed. There are several ways you can do this. My choice for this was:

I was looking for small, simple and weather resistant. This little connector is all that and inexpensive. Here' s a few more shots of it:

In the picture below, you can see one of the LED modules I added to one of the removable panels. It has a chrome body and puts out purple light. It's goal is to wash the Spyderpops screen mesh that was a Spyderfest addition.

The black cloth tape is Gaffer tape. Good for 200+ degrees and really tough stuff. I use a lot of it. I tried to keep the lead lengths that are exposed rather short. He's the sheath that I used to protect the wiring, since it runs near the radiator and other hot parts:

Above you can see that I've added the sheath to the lighting wire on the panel.

Here is the 'supply side'. I ran a sheathed pair of wires from the left and right wiring blocks to the sides where the removable panels are. I crimped 3 of the female sides of the connectors to that feeder.

I also added a larger section of the sheath braid so that once I plugged everything in, I can slide that section over all the connectors. Sorry, no pics of that, but here's one more shot, before replacing the panels...

The braid is good for really high temps, it's flexible, can grow to twice it's size by pushing it together like Chinese handcuffs.

By now you've figured out that I added 3 purple LED modules to graze the screen mesh. I also added several modules to better light around the shocks ( replacing a couple that had died or were dying).

Now go light your world!!
    Last edited by Phil; 06-11-2012 at 11:36 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default max out

hey phil, are you concerned at all about maxing out the electrical system on your bike ? i know led lights don't draw much power, but you've got a LOT of lights. nice write up and pics too.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Hey Coz.
    There IS a limit, but I'm pretty sure I'm not there as long as I'm doing normal driving. One of my todo items is to actually measure the total draw of all of the lights I've added. It's easy because they all flow through a common fuse panel and one relay. I'll post the results soon.

Spyder Garage

Just a pic. Darth checking out our construction site.

Spyder Garage

i finally got around to reading this post and all i say is 'holy sh*t Batman!!!!'

Phil, you have done an incredible job of not only modding out Darth Vader, I want to thank you for all the detailed installation information you have provided

I received my Spyder 2 weeks ago and have been thinking about adding my GPS on top of the front dash like you and 'Teddy' did, adding some lights (not as many as you, but definately in some locations you did, adding a front power source for the GPS and to charge an iPhone, etc)

again, your Spyder looks incredible and thank you again for the instructions

Spyder Garage

Default Phil's Mods

Quote Originally Posted by lookerjdc View Post
    i finally got around to reading this post and all i say is 'holy sh*t Batman!!!!'

Phil, you have done an incredible job of not only modding out Darth Vader, I want to thank you for all the detailed installation information you have provided

I received my Spyder 2 weeks ago and have been thinking about adding my GPS on top of the front dash like you and 'Teddy' did, adding some lights (not as many as you, but definately in some locations you did, adding a front power source for the GPS and to charge an iPhone, etc)

again, your Spyder looks incredible and thank you again for the instructions

Muchas Gracias !! It's fun..congrats on your ryde too!!

Spyder Garage

Default looks

I'm jealous!!

Spyder Garage

What LED units did you use for your puddle lights?

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Spyder Garage

Default Phil's Mods

Quote Originally Posted by quickster47 View Post
    What LED units did you use for your puddle lights?

Carl
    It's a combination of two lights. The round ones... I really can't remember where I got them, but they really are not all that bright compared to current technology so we'll move along.

The second one is--- http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...-sbl-brand/14/ I see several new lights that are brighter and might fit.

IF YOU ARE AN ADVENTUROUS DIY electrical person, you might like to experiment with some of the modules from www.superbrightleds.com . Hear this clearly- if you are not confident in your electrical skills, I HIGHLY recommend Reggie at-- http://tricled.com/TricLed.com/Home.html. Reggie and crew will walk you through with their kits.

we call LEDs a 'disruptive technology'. It changes SO fast. So be prepared to get hooked on adding LEDs! I've slowed down, but now I'm tricking out our new office building!

Annaa

Great project!!

Spyder Garage

Default Phil's Mods

I just looked at the date of my last mod. Wow! I'm slacking off!!

This post is called- DO AS I SAY NOT AS IT DO . If you are going to do your own LED installation, you want to pay attention to this.

Most all LED strips have the ability to be cut to length. Many I see allow you to simply use an Exacto knife or even scissors to cut them every 3 LEDs. It allows you to make them fit nicely. Here's what can happen when you simply cut them and mount them without protecting the end....

While at Spyderfest in the rain, I thought I smelled something burning, but I could never find it. On the way home, in the rain, all of my LEDs went out. I knew it was a fuse since so many went out. This week I tore off the Tupperware to get to the source. Sometimes, replacing a fuse, when there is a short, will reveal the cause of the short. I don't recommend doing this unless you feel pretty confident with 12vdc. I upped the 5A fuse a little and fire things up. Bingo! Smoke was coming from the LED piece that you see in my hand. I pulled the power immediately, cut the bad section away, then SEALED the end---

Problem solved. Fire averted. Lesson learned! Another good reason, if you are not comfortable around 12v power systems and LEDs, let the pros, like Reggie, handle it for you! Next post, another mod.

Phil, Tyler TX- from my iPad 7.5 using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by Phil; 05-12-2013 at 11:00 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Phil's Mods

While I had DARTH apart, I had to do SOMETHING! A long time ago I had purchased this---

With as many electrical things on DARTH as I have, I wanted to know more than simply the battery voltage. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out where to mount it since the connecting wire comes out the side. Putting it on the dashboard... Nope. So after the voting (in my head) here's where it ended up---

I added the armor to the wiring since it is directly connected to the battery. Again, better safe than..... It will alert you when the battery gets low, so it's not a huge deal to have it under the seat. I'm hoping this will do as advertised to help me know that all is well. Here are the print pieces that come with the unit--

MOgang Member & Pyro-Man kevorama's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hiya Phil, miss ya, bro. I had something similar happen when using the quick disconnect connectors. My routing caused my connection to short out on a grounded part.

The open metal part connected with the frame and blew out the 4th zone on my remote system from TricLED. I don't blame Tric for that, it was my fault. Once I realized what caused it, I posted a fix for it.

Basically, you make a condom for the male connection out of shrink tubing, slide it on, and connect the two parts as shown in the following pics.

By placing that small piece of shrink tubing on the male end, it makes a great rubber boot to protect your DC connection from shorting out on grounded pieces.

Phil, I'm using a battery isolator from Reggy. It doesn't show me what's draining where, but it allows me to keep my external lighting up and running without draining my main battery. I keep my smaller backup battery in the trunk.
    Last edited by kevorama; 05-12-2013 at 11:34 PM.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow.”
    James Dean

Spyder Garage

Default Phil's Mods

Miss you too Kev (Joanie too but don't tell her, she'll think I've gone soft )

Glad to hear that you too make mistakes! But we learn from them, teach others, and go on.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Doug I

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I'm updating this post with a full list of mods, for ease of finding them as I get older and forget

======================
    Additional front fuse panel
    Mud Flap Lights
    BrightSides front and rear
    Kewlmetal Run-Turn-Brake light http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/produc...roducts_id=633
    Double Play Unit
    12vdc dash convenience outlet
    AEM Voltage Meter
    TricLed TricFenderz - Amber / Red
    Front DayRunners
    RTGloRyder http://www.gloryder.com/can-am-spyder-accessories.php
    Custom Dynamics - Various Stingerz LED sticks (Purple) http://www.customdynamics.com/
    Black Magic Remote LED Control
    DRL Cornering Lights with TDR control
    Puddle Lights & switch
    Master Accessory Power Switch & relay
    LED Licenseplate light
    LED Frunk Surround
    LED Fendertip lights
    LED Seatglow light
    LED Trunk lights
    LED Glove Box light
    LED Under Dash light
    Dimmers for Dash & TricFenderz lights
    ~~new 07/23/11~~
    HID Headlights
    LEDs under rear fender
    LEDs (purple) as 'eye lashes' above headlights (01/02/12)
    Backup/rear view Camera (01/02/12)
    -------------------------------
    Bluetooth Receivers
    Bluetooth Transmitter
    4 Channel Audio Mixer
    ---------------------------
    Extra WAGO LeverNuts (power distribution)
    Billet Axel Covers Front end Dressup Kit
    Green Filter
    Swaybar
    Elka Shocks (7/2011)
    Utopia Backrest (6/2011)
    Fog HIDs
    Gizmo Mount Bracket
    Küryakyn Widow Pegs
    BRP Chrome Mirror Accents
    BRP Chrome Exhaust Accent
    ~~~~~NEW 11/11/11 RT622 Trailer~~~~~~
    Interior while LED halo of light
    Front and back lid halo of Purple LEDs
    GloRyders for trailer wheels
    (DIY, not stock)
    Battery- 12ah to power trailer lights while not connected to bike (12/28/12)
    ~~~~~~~~ MISC ~~~~~~
    Lambs Wool Gel Seats - http://www.amspecialtiesusa.com/gelpad.htm

================================================

Here's a pic of my RT SE5 PE as it looked when I started the mods:

Some of the things I'm working on:
    1. Redo the power distribution to power the current and additional LEDs.
    2. Adding quick disconnect so frunk can be easily removed, even with all the extra LEDs.
    3. Redo mounting of the Fog HID ballasts
    4. Add many more purple LEDs to frunk
    5. Add purple LED that accents fog housing
    6. Add master on off switch & relay for new power buss (see #1)
    7. Add TricFenderz LEDs
    8. Add mud flap LEDs (wire into turn signals)
    9. Add dimmer for TricFenderz
    10. Add white LED strips in glove box and under dash
    11. Add dimmer for glove box and dash lights
    12. Add 'puddle lights' under mirrors
    13. Add wiring and separate switch for puddle lights
    14. Add RunBrakeTurn LED strip to back of bike
    15. Redo previous Bluetooth work to 'mix' audio from all Bluetooth sources rather than having them fight for supremacy order.
    16. Seems like there'd something else??!!!

I'm fortunate to be one of the guys to have a heated garage with good working lighting and tool boxes. Took me a bunch of years to get tot this point, but I'm very blessed. So, I can take my time and do things the right way.

Stay tuned....
    Hi Phil finally found you. Jonathan @ Broadway Powersports said to contact you about joining your group. Can't find where to sign up. Can you help me Doug I

MOgang Member & Pyro-Man kevorama's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    hey phil, are you concerned at all about maxing out the electrical system on your bike ? i know led lights don't draw much power, but you've got a LOT of lights. nice write up and pics too.
    Hey Coz, I had the same concern on my bike, as I'm loaded up pretty good. Reggy sent me his battery isolator and I located a second battery in my trunk. I re ran my lead wires from the FZ-1 FuzeBlock (also from TricLED) and the main battery to the 2nd battery in the trunk. The isolator is also mounted in the trunk. When the engine is running both batteries are charging. When I have the bike off and I'm running lights, for say, a light show, the only draw comes from the 2nd batt only. If that battery drains, my main one is still fully charged for starting the bike.

The 2nd video in my thread on 'How To Install Almost Everything From TricLED' shows the battery isolator towards the end. The video is less than 3 minutes.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...g-From-TricLED
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow.”
    James Dean

Spyder Garage

Default Phil's Mods

Quote Originally Posted by Doug I View Post
    Hi Phil finally found you. Jonathan @ Broadway Powersports said to contact you about joining your group. Can't find where to sign up. Can you help me Doug I
    Hey there Doug! I believe you are now signed up!! Jonathan is a great guy, but it's not MY group. He's talking about SpyderLovers.

I see you're in Jacksonville. Let's find a time to have coffee and say hi! It's best to email me- genesis@genesisworld.com

Spyder Garage

Wow!! Looks awesome
    Steve

Spyder Garage

Default Phil's Mods

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    Phil when are you ever going to make Darth visible?
    No one can see you coming.

JK

Nice work.
    Nice on going work.

Happy to have met you at SF.
    Likewise Roger!

Spyder Garage

Default Phil's Mods

Quote Originally Posted by XenonDepot View Post
    Wow!! Looks awesome
    Steve
    Thx Steve. Happy to have used your kit on the heads.

Spyder Garage

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1372560766.057554.jpg

Spyder Garage

RT+HID >= Joy! Thanks for these Phil! Get cranky when stuff doesn't act right! Reversed polarity and sure enough bright as day! Anybody installing the Xenon Depot HIDs read this!

Wow Bob!
    Sent from my home in Central Texas!
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AbNormy View Post
    RT+HID >= Joy! Thanks for these Phil! Get cranky when stuff doesn't act right! Reversed polarity and sure enough bright as day! Anybody installing the Xenon Depot HIDs read this!

Wow Bob!
    Sent from my home in Central Texas!
    The Xenon installation instructions warn against getting the polarity wrong & how to address it. Phil's posts helped me better understand it's application to my Spyder.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Default MORE Darth Mods

Been awhile! I've slowed down on Darth's mods. I'm kind of running out of places to put LEDs

Then Reggy and the TricLED team came out with a couple of really cool kits. Here's the results of the mirror turn signal LEDs and also the wheel kits. All of it took about 2 hours start to finish.

Last edited by Phil; 10-07-2013 at 12:44 AM.